Hacking USBLoaderGX won't run NAND Channels

konradszkudlarek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello. I have problems with running nand channels (forewoarders) with USBLoaderGX, when i try to run channel i get black screen. Official Wii chanels and unofficial forewoarders gives the same result. To be clear, i'm trying to run NAND channels, not emulated NAND ones. Can anybody hep me ? Please :)

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello. I have problems with running nand channels (forewoarders) with USBLoaderGX, when i try to run channel i get black screen. Official Wii chanels and unofficial forewoarders gives the same result. To be clear, i'm trying to run NAND channels, not emulated NAND ones. Can anybody hep me ? Please :)
do you use a neek setup? (sneek/o2neek, or whatever) since a lot of those nand channels need real nand access i think, neekcould be the problem to launch them.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has to do with how they launch. Try changing the loader settings for the forwarder channel and set it to use IOS58.

konradszkudlarek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
do you use a neek setup? (sneek/o2neek, or whatever) since a lot of those nand channels need real nand access i think, neekcould be the problem to launch them.

No, i'm not using neek method....

It has to do with how they launch. Try changing the loader settings for the forwarder channel and set it to use IOS58.

I tried to run it from Homebrew Channel without forewoarder and the result was the same.... i can only run official nintendo channels, any forewoarders gave me black screen.... Sam with EmuNAND.... FYI, I'm using USBLoaderGX 3.0 v1260 on IOS249 (with d2xv8) on Classic 1gen Wii

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, i'm not using neek method....

I tried to run it from Homebrew Channel without forewoarder and the result was the same.... i can only run official nintendo channels, any forewoarders gave me black screen.... Sam with EmuNAND.... FYI, I'm using USBLoaderGX 3.0 v1260 on IOS249 (with d2xv8) on Classic 1gen Wii

No, change the settings for the forwarder you're trying to launch from USB Loader GX in the loader. When you click on the forwarder you should get a settings/start dialog. Click settings, then Loader and change the IOS to 58 and see if that works.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think you can select 58 for channels, but I'll have to verify.
this is a fix I need to do for a long time : add the "real IOS" option for NAND.

Currently, it's using cIOS for everything you launch, except homebrew which is forced to 58.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Channels on real NAND should just be launched with the IOS they request in the TMD. I'll look at the code in a bit.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There is already a function written to "find the requested IOS", I don't know why it's not used.
u8 Channels::GetRequestedIOS(const u64 &title)

that should be easy to fix.
I'm trying it.

edit:
I added it, it reloads to the requested IOS, but fails to load the channel.
probably because it tries to re-open USB (using usb2.0 ehci module) which is not possible on IOS version other than 58?
Maybe I should put the IOSreload at the end for channel launching.
I'll try again.

edit:
If I reload IOS just before jumping to the entry, I get an error "system is corrupted, etc."

If you want to try, don't forget to add ISFS around getTMD command :
Code:
	ISFS_Initialize();
	u8 *titleTMD = GetTMD(title, &tmdSize, "");
	ISFS_Deinitialize();

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I have tried to add the option of using ios58 to the settings or edit the GXGameSettings.cfg to use ios58.
It worked - for a while. After a week or so, the same setup no longer works. May be I have some setting changes that conflict with it? I don't know but I have tried setting channel boot method to main/content (something like that) with no success.

I do notice that the built in homebrew launcher in ULGX does work. I don't remember if launching apps/channels that way will return back to ULGX when exiting the apps/channels but the thing is, it works.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can try to allow all IOS slots, but I don't think it will work either.
In gamebooter, I changed the IOS to the requested one, at the same location where the cIOS is usually reloaded, and it didn't work.
I tried to do it later, and even right before exiting the loader. all my attempts failed.

Using 58 is another solution (58 should work with most channels).
The issue is that reloading the IOS before unmounting all devices break compatibility (the mounted IOS doesn't have usb init code). reloading after the usb is unmount, but maybe I did something wrong.
I also tried using IOS_reload() instead of the usual "safeIOSreloadkeepingrights" or something like this, because it's remounting the devices after IOS reload, and that would fail too.
it's probably possible, I didn't spend a lot of time trying to make it work. I thought it would be easy and 2 line of code would be enough.

konradszkudlarek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks for all replays.... but still no luck. The only one thing that work for homebrew channels was change of Channel run method from Boot content to main dol, but as i said it only workd for homebrew forewoarders.... WiiWare and VC stuff still wont work

benjabmoraga

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I have this problem when trying to lunch snes9xgx from NAND through USBLoaderGX. I get a black screen. I suppose it's the same problem. Is there a solution already? Thanks in advance!
I can try to allow all IOS slots, but I don't think it will work either.
In gamebooter, I changed the IOS to the requested one, at the same location where the cIOS is usually reloaded, and it didn't work.
I tried to do it later, and even right before exiting the loader. all my attempts failed.

Using 58 is another solution (58 should work with most channels).
The issue is that reloading the IOS before unmounting all devices break compatibility (the mounted IOS doesn't have usb init code). reloading after the usb is unmount, but maybe I did something wrong.
I also tried using IOS_reload() instead of the usual "safeIOSreloadkeepingrights" or something like this, because it's remounting the devices after IOS reload, and that would fail too.
it's probably possible, I didn't spend a lot of time trying to make it work. I thought it would be easy and 2 line of code would be enough.

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I have this problem when trying to lunch snes9xgx from NAND through USBLoaderGX. I get a black screen. I suppose it's the same problem. Is there a solution already? Thanks in advance!
Please start a new thread for your case instead. Replying in a thread that went silence since 6 years ago is necroposting.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should launch it in the Homebrew Channel, unless you have its wad channel installed i assume ? If so, download the normal version and put it in SD:/Apps if you're using the sd card, and try again.

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
try Blackb0x enhanced version : https://gbatemp.net/posts/8856063
Or launch from Homebrew channel, or from wiiflow plugin system if you want an USB loader acting as a GUI launcher for other homebrew.

There's also an old USBLoaderGX plugin support mod available, but not maintained nor supported (no help will be provided). it's linked in the first post of USBGX main thread.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: benjabmoraga

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome