Hacking USB Loader w/ choppy cutscenes

SunX99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I understand this users issue is a few months old, but so far it is the only post that matches the same type of problem I am having, but I created a new post to capture my issue.

I have been using an old 30gb laptop drive in a generic enclosure for the last 2 months to play backups on my softmodded wii.
The drive is formatted for fat32, and is running USB Loader GX, rev. 899, games are in .wbfs format and play with no problems at all.
Just this week I bought a new Seagate Expansion 500gb, formatted it as one big fat32 drive and copied everything over from the old 30gb drive.
Now games will have issues with cutscene playback.
The intro movie in the Metroid trilogy, and de Blob is choppy, the blue light around the disc loader will light and then flash (otherwise I have it set to be off) then play after a pause and 'burb' in the video.

I have had no problems with cutscene play back up till I switched drives which makes me blame the drive, or the size of it.

Has anyone else had this type of issue, or 'pesaroso' did you find a fix?

I'm running a checkdisk and will defrag the drive and will report back.
My next idea is carve up the drive and move the games to a NTFS partition.

pesaroso said:
So, just had a first run with this USB-loader on New Super Mario Bros Wii.

I'm amazed that it works, but was I just extra picky, or is the framerate a bit choppy? Might depend on the HDD though, but mine is a brand new WD Essentials 500GB. Split it in half, converted one half to FAT32, created the needed folder, and transferred lots and lots of ISO's using Wii Backup Manager.

The games I've tried so far is loading indeed, but I didn't like the small amounts of lag some of the games gave from time to time.

Is it a setting I've ignored, or is everyone experiencing this?

Regards, and thx for an awesome loader!

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wierd. I have a drive similar to Pesaroso's WD Essentials 500 GB drive FAT32 and never noticed any frame rate's being choppy. Have you tried using 249 base 57? It does load USB just a slight bit quicker. It's not measurable by seconds or anything but any game with a "Loading..." screen is shortened.

SunX99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was reading up on the different cIOS versions to get myself up to speed.
The way I understand it cios 222/223 are the only ones that can read/write to fat32 drives?
I tried to use usb config loader (v56) and launch games with ios249 (v17) but config loader tells me to "use 222/223 to load from fat"
Trying to us ios249 from GX just gets a black screen.

From the settings I see on your system I can only assume the games are launching with ios 222/223 by default from GX. I read in one of the posts that even if 249 is selected in GX it knows you are accessing a fat drive and runs using 222 anyway, that's what people that updated to hermes v5 were saying anyway.

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SunX99 said:
I was reading up on the different cIOS versions to get myself up to speed.
The way I understand it cios 222/223 are the only ones that can read/write to fat32 drives?
I tried to use usb config loader (v56) and launch games with ios249 (v17) but config loader tells me to "use 222/223 to load from fat"
Trying to us ios249 from GX just gets a black screen.

From the settings I see on your system I can only assume the games are launching with ios 222/223 by default from GX. I read in one of the posts that even if 249 is selected in GX it knows you are accessing a fat drive and runs using 222 anyway, that's what people that updated to hermes v5 were saying anyway.
Sorry. I forgot to mention I meant 249 rev19 which supports FAT32 but I don't know if GX works with rev19. I'm using Configurable.

SunX99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update:
I updated to cios 259 rev 19, base 57 and used CFG v56 using 249 from the SD. The game I am testing is the intro screens for Metroid Trilogy (Dol 0).
While it seemed to improve the load time slightly, I am still getting freezing in the playback.
It did however stop the damn slot light from blinking each time it shuddered.

I'm going to do some testing with the size of the partitions on the external drive and report back.

SunX99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so last night I took my 500gb drive and carved it up for testing:
30gb FAT32 (16k blocks)
30gb NTFS (16k blocks)
30gb WBFS

Using Metroid Trilogy intro movie and CFG usb loader my results were disappointing.
(249 rev 19, base 57; 222 v4; 223 v4)

FAT 249 - movie skips, but no blinking slot light when the video studders
FAT 222 - skips, blinking
FAT 223 - skips, blinking
NTFS 249 - skips, no blinking
NTFS 222 - skips, blinking
NTFS 223 - skips, blinking
WBFS 249 - skips, no blinking
WBFS 222 - skips, blinking
WBFS 223 - skips, blinking

So at this point I guess I give up, I'll just deal with the slight studder of the movie, I will say it seems 249 rev 19 was 'faster' maybe it was just mentally knowing it was a newer version.

If anyone else has this issue or wants me to try something else let me know.
Thanks for the help!

SunX99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh.
I was playing through Metroid 3, using CFG loader 56, and 249 rev 19, game play was fine, maybe one skip in every cutscene movie, not enough to get irritating.
Was finishing the level on the first planet were you enable the generators to fire the large gun at the metor, during the cutscene where the 'evil' samus comes in the whole wii froze up, no response from the wiimote so had to do a forced off with the power button.

Am I doing something wrong here or is this just normally a glitchy game?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...