Hacking USB Loader GX?

KicksDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I'm guessing there have already been threads about this, I am sorry for making a new thread, but I thought this owuld be the easiest way to get my answers :S

I am follow this tutorial: http://www.wiikendhacks.com/2009/08/usb-lo...x-tutorial.html

to install USB Loader GX

I'm new to this (clearly)

but where it says requirements:

+Requirements+

* Network Connection
* Homebrew Channel
* Wad Manager v1.4
* SD Card
* USB Drive or HDD
* Required Files

what does it mean by Network Connection? or USB Drive? :S (I know this will sound nooby)

and do the games save to my sd card? Or what ? :S

*sorry for the bother*

Thanks in advance

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
By "Network Connection", it means you need to have your Wii connected to Wifi for the cIOS Installer to run (USB-ethernet adapter doesn't work). If you don't have Wifi, you can work around it by finding a guide for installing the cIOS and downloading the IOSes you will need using the NUSDownloader.

By USB Drive, it means you will need an external hard drive, flash drive, or any other storage device which connects via USB. Small thumb drives (2GB-16GB) can be used but won't hold many games. A 250GB drive should hold as many games as you will ever need. The drive you use with USB Loader won't be usable for any other use else due to its format (although you can change it back later).

The games you load in USB Loader will be functionally identical to a real game loaded from its disc; saves will be stored on the Wii memory as normal. You can even play a game in USB Loader and then play it later from the original disc and use the same save data with no problems.

KicksDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply, makes alot more sense now :]

How many games would a 16GB drive hold?

and where would you recommend I get one?

And thanks again for the help =]

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Full game disc images are usually 4.37 GB each, but when installing them using WBFS the actual size is much smaller - on average about 2.5GB, with some games much smaller (Wii Sports: 310 MB), some larger (Guitar Hero 5: 4.0 GB) and some much larger (Brawl: 6.9 GB).

A 16GB drive could thus be expected to hold about 6-10 games, depending on which games you choose. If you have a fairly large collection that you want to load through USB, I would seriously recommend a 250GB or larger external drive.

You can get thumb drives or external hard drives at most electronics and computer stores. I have a 8GB Cruzer Micro thumb drive from Office Depot, a 750GB Maxtor OneTouch4 from Best Buy, and a 1TB Iomega Select from online (I use the Maxtor for USB Loader). Consult this list to make sure a drive will work well for USB Loader:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?tit...patibility_List

KicksDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Man, really appreciate the help
smile.gif

Would this Flash Drive work? http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/8850308/Play...ed/Product.html
It isn't even on the comparison list :S but it doesn't cost very much, and from reviews on the 16gb one it is quite well made.

Quick last question, how long does it take to download the games and case images ect..?

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
KicksDS said:
Thanks Man, really appreciate the help
smile.gif

Quick last question, how long does it take to download the games and case images ect..?
Downloading case images in USB Loader doesn't take long, perhaps 30 seconds to 1 minute depending on the number of games.

Installing games onto the drive from a disc takes around 5-10 minutes depending on the game (some games can take up to an hour for some reason).

Downloading disc images online (presumably for games you already own which have scratched discs and whatnot) takes a long time and depends on the download speed... expect 12 hours to multiple days for each game.

As for that USB drive, it should work fine. Keep in mind that with externals you get a lot more storage for your money, even if it is a little bigger and bulkier.

KicksDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
mattjd said:
You can probably get at least a 160gb HDD for the priceof that 32gb USB Stick.

Mind telling me where then ? :]

and what do you mean, how can I not understand that?

I've never even attampted to hack anything.. :S

So I wanetd to make sure everything was what I thought it was

KicksDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would get: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-500GB-Free...803&sr=8-11

But on the Compatability List, I'm not sure which one it is.

Seagate FreeAgent Desk 500GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 Silver External Hard Drive

Seagate - External Desktop Drive 500GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0

Seagate Freeagent Drive 500GB USB 2.0

as the names are all similar but have differences.
one of them has issue with the USB Loader though, that is why I'm a bit unsure of what to do.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

KicksDS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Szalkow said:
KicksDS said:
I would get: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-500GB-Free...803&sr=8-11

Seagate FreeAgent Desk 500GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 Silver External Hard Drive
It's the one with some issues. Read the description - if you're okay with unplugging it every time you turn the Wii on that's ok, but I would consider getting a more reliable drive.

Well the max ammount of cash I can spend is £60 and I wont atleast a 500gb, hmm, I'll try find one that'll be alright. But I would prefer to spend around £50 or less :\

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
500GB is pretty big. You can fit well over 100 games on a 320GB HDD. Unless you're an anal-retentive hyper-pyrate, that should be plenty of space.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY