OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted this in my previous help thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/dop-mii-error-code-1-cant-install-cios.387285/

But, as the problem has changed so much since starting that thread, I decided to make a new one. I formatted both my 64BG flash drive and 1TB external 2.5" HDD to FAT32, and tried loading them into USB Loader GX with the latest forwarder. I used the tutorials listed in the thread to install the proper cIOSs, but every time, the loader got stuck on the "initializing USB drive" text.

However, an odd thing happened: I loaded up the flash drive with a single test game, and it loaded just fine. THe loader recognized and played the game with nary a hiccup. However, when I added a lot more games to that drive (making it about 90% full), it stopped loading, bringing me back to the "initializing USB drive" text freeze on boot, forcing me to yank the power cord to exit. What could possibly be causing this strange issue?

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran the IOS Sanity Check application, and this was the output it gave me:
20150426_183237.jpg

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you jumping right into usbloader GX through the homebrew app or a channel/ forwarded channel?
Have you tried like maybe booting something else first? (like maybe a different homebrew app)
Also personally I noticed if I have a disc in my U and don't wait for it show up on the disc channel I have this exact issue.
Honestly I think it's more of a not waiting for disc app to load prior to pointing loader to it.
Also are you connected to usb0?

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you jumping right into usbloader GX through the homebrew app or a channel/ forwarded channel?
Have you tried like maybe booting something else first? (like maybe a different homebrew app)
Also personally I noticed if I have a disc in my U and don't wait for it show up on the disc channel I have this exact issue.
Honestly I think it's more of a not waiting for disc app to load prior to pointing loader to it.
Also are you connected to usb0?

I just tried it with no disc inserted, and it gives me the same error. Also, yes, I am sure it is plugged into USB0 - I have also tried every other port, and no other drives are connected. I have also tried launching it via forwarder and HBC app, with the same results.

I should note that no homebrew app seems able to see the flash drive anymore. USBLGX, NTD, nor a File Browser recognize the drive. The only way it does is by freezing when initializing the drive.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using usneek? And if so did you re-enable the drive once in vwii?
Also, I am not so much on fat32 format for wii or wii u/vwii. I find it much easier to run wbfs. And from where did you get usbloader gx?
Sometimes when you download things you don't get what you thought it was. With these types of things it's always best to get from the source.
Also did you rip these game directly to the drive from the U? Of did you move your backups to a file share site?
And if so did you directly download them from your share site? Personally I like to scatter all my rips to other people's computers this way all I have to do is use a torrent client to get them. That way when I retrieve my backup games I get the whole thing. Lot's of browser show the file is completely downloaded when it really didn't. Like say your download time said 2 hours then all of a sudden it now says completed in about 10 minutes. Yep you didn't get the whole thing.
Anyway the best person to answer your questions is Cyan. But you'll have to see if cyan responds to this post.

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using usneek? And if so did you re-enable the drive once in vwii?
Also, I am not so much on fat32 format for wii or wii u/vwii. I find it much easier to run wbfs. And from where did you get usbloader gx?
Sometimes when you download things you don't get what you thought it was. With these types of things it's always best to get from the source.
Also did you rip these game directly to the drive from the U? Of did you move your backups to a file share site?
And if so did you directly download them from your share site? Personally I like to scatter all my rips to other people's computers this way all I have to do is use a torrent client to get them. That way when I retrieve my backup games I get the whole thing. Lot's of browser show the file is completely downloaded when it really didn't. Like say your download time said 2 hours then all of a sudden it now says completed in about 10 minutes. Yep you didn't get the whole thing.
Anyway the best person to answer your questions is Cyan. But you'll have to see if cyan responds to this post.

• I do not have uSneek installed on my drive.
  • I downloaded all my Wii games from various torrent sites, as well as ripping a few on my original Wii.
  • As I said, I cannot rip games onto a hard drive because the loader does not successfully load the HDD when there is more than one game on it.
  • I got my USBLGX app files from the most recent binary uploaded to the project's Google Code page.
  • All of the games on the larger hard drive functioned on my Wii - just not on my Wii U.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
humm, taking the issue in the middle is hard to understand what's wrong.

First, you used Wii tools on vWii, which is very bad. I'm sure you used a lot of old and deprecated tools or tutorial.
as a rule : NEVER EVER follow a youtube tutorial for hacking a console. never!
You probably semi-bricked your vWii if you used dopmii to edit any IOS.

It would be useful to verify your current data. Don't touch or install anything anymore.
Go to syscheck tutorial in my signature and download the latest version.
I dn't remember if syscheck is reporting corrupted IOSes.
IF it's not, you might have to use another tools, but first, follow the syscheck guide please and report here.

Reactions: FaTaL_ErRoR

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
humm, taking the issue in the middle is hard to understand what's wrong.

First, you used Wii tools on vWii, which is very bad. I'm sure you used a lot of old and deprecated tools or tutorial.
as a rule : NEVER EVER follow a youtube tutorial for hacking a console. never!
You probably semi-bricked your vWii if you used dopmii to edit any IOS.

It would be useful to verify your current data. Don't touch or install anything anymore.
Go to syscheck tutorial in my signature and download the latest version.
I dn't remember if syscheck is reporting corrupted IOSes.
IF it's not, you might have to use another tools, but first, follow the syscheck guide please and report here.

It wasn't even able to generate a syscheck.csv file - the application stopped with an error message saying "Failed to get TMD at IOS36." That sounds... very, very bad. :(

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Don't worry, there's still a way to fix it.
You will need a Wad manager for vWii (Yet another wad Manager mod for example) and a CLEAN correctly signed IOS36 that you "should" have extracted if you followed a proper softmod guide before using dopmii.
If not, let me know.

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry, there's still a way to fix it.
You will need a Wad manager for vWii (Yet another wad Manager mod for example) and a CLEAN correctly signed IOS36 that you "should" have extracted if you followed a proper softmod guide before using dopmii.
If not, let me know.

That seemed to get Syscheck running! Here is the output in syscheck.csv:
SysCheck v2.3.2 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6432).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v609)

Drive date: 06.28.2011
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 605901848
Console Type: vWii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v0
Found 119 titles.
Found 35 IOS on this console. 0 of them are stub.

vIOS9 (rev 1290): No Patches
vIOS12 (rev 782): No Patches
vIOS13 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS14 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS15 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS17 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS21 (rev 1295): No Patches
vIOS22 (rev 1550): No Patches
vIOS28 (rev 2063): No Patches
vIOS31 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS33 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS34 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS35 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS36 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS37 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS38 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS41 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS43 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS45 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS46 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS48 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS53 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS55 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS56 (rev 5918): No Patches
vIOS57 (rev 6175): No Patches
vIOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
vIOS59 (rev 9249): No Patches
vIOS62 (rev 6942): No Patches
vIOS80 (rev 7200): No Patches
vIOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt-vWii): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt-vWii): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS251[58] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt-vWii): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
vIOS512 (rev 7): No Patches
vIOS513 (rev 1): No Patches
Report generated on 04/28/2015.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can't tell if all your IOS are clean and real signed, but I'll assume all is good now.

so, your other issue:
the freeze at the detection screen is a known issue with some drives on vWii.
I still don't know why it happen and need more debugging.

As possible solution, you can try to plug it while you see the countdown instead of connecting it before launching the loader.
A user found that loading the config file was a possible issue, booting for the first time works but not next times. Maybe an SD card access issue. you use SD or only USB?
If you can, try another HDD or flashdrive.
I'll let you go to the other thread where everyone is reporting this issue.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx-vwii-stopped-working.378697/

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't tell if all your IOS are clean and real signed, but I'll assume all is good now.

so, your other issue:
the freeze at the detection screen is a known issue with some drives on vWii.
I still don't know why it happen and need more debugging.

As possible solution, you can try to plug it while you see the countdown instead of connecting it before launching the loader.
A user found that loading the config file was a possible issue, booting for the first time works but not next times. Maybe an SD card access issue. you use SD or only USB?
If you can, try another HDD or flashdrive.
I'll let you go to the other thread where everyone is reporting this issue.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx-vwii-stopped-working.378697/

The config file issue would certainly explain why the flash drive worked initially, but not any time after. Is it possible for me to delete it each time before startup so that it might work?

Then again, it didn't work when I tried different versions of USBLGX, so maybe it was something else?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can delete the config file everytime, but you will lose all your settings and will have to reconfigure everything before launching a game if you don't want the default settings.

No application can access the USB?
not even wiiXplorer?

You should try a different HDD. And choose HDD instead of a flashdrive, it works better.
It could be an incompatible device, or it could be a bug only on vWii I don't don't.

Reactions: GreyWolf

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can delete the config file everytime, but you will lose all your settings and will have to reconfigure everything before launching a game if you don't want the default settings.

No application can access the USB?
not even wiiXplorer?

You should try a different HDD. And choose HDD instead of a flashdrive, it works better.
It could be an incompatible device, or it could be a bug only on vWii I don't don't.

WiiXplorer crashes when trying to access the drive. I'll try and get a USB-Y cable for my Passport drive, and see what happens.

lisalover1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Success! The USB-Y cable did the trick! Just for clarification for anyone who finds this post later, in order to get my 1TB MyPassport USB 3.0 drive to work, I had to format it as FAT32, then connect it using a USB 3.0 Y-Cable to both of the USB ports in the back, with the data cable being plugged into the innermost port. Now all homebrew apps that use HDDs recognize it!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The Y-Cable was SO OBVIOUS that I didn't thought you were NOT using it.
In all tutorials it's said to use one. it's not telling users to use it because it's fun to add cable, but because it's required.

Even Nintendo is telling users to use Y-cable on their website!
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1474 said:
we cannot guarantee that such devices will run properly on Wii U without the use of a supplemental power cable called a y-cable that draws power from two USB ports.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol