Hacking USB Loader GX doesn't show Gamecube backups.

Arizato

Memento Mori
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been trying to get over a certain problem for several days now. I have a FAT32 formatted USB drive which I backup my Wii and Gamecube games on. But USB Loader GX R1203 doesn't detect my Gamecube backups, except for one. I have DIOS MIOS installed and I've set the Loader so it detects GC games.

It detects and plays the first disc of MGS: Twin Snakes perfectly, but the second disc just refuses to be located. I've installed the game using DMToolbox into a folder called games, but it still won't work. Tried the same thing on the SD card, didn't work. I even tried changing the GC paths in USB Loader GX, still nothing. My last desperate attempt was to copy the ISO directly which didn't work either.

I just don't get what I did right with the first disc, The IDs for them are different and they aren't replacing each other. What am I doing wrong?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Games with multi discs have the same ID6. so it is replacing it, unless the loader is using ID7 (Which I'll add later to the loader).

DIOS MIOS doesn't work with "game swapping", and MGS is one of the game which require you to swapp the discs without letting you save your progress and reload to disc2.
So, at least, it will not help you to see the second disc of MGS in the loader.

Secondly, USBLoaderGX still doesn't support multiple game discs either :(
You can see both disc in the loader, but it will always launch the same iso filename. so the current solution is to dump only the disc number you want to play.

Third: The loader should display all your iso, if it doesn't it means you have a bad setup.

USBLoaderGX + DIOS MIOS Lite : can list both games on USB and/or SD.
USBLoaderGX + DIOS MIOS : can list ONLY games on USB. (it will skip the SD listing completely)

If you don't see all your games, it's probably because you are using DIOS MIOS and have some games in SD card which are unlisted.

The best setup is this one:
Loader side:
In USBloaderGX > Settings > user paths >
GameCube Main Folder: USB1:/games/
GameCube SD Folder: SD :/games/

The "main" folder is the one used to dump the games.
if you want, you can point both to SD :/games/ if you have a big enough SD card, and want to use DML only.
If your SD card is not big enough, the best is to use USB1:/games/ as main folder. if you use DML it will tell you that you need to transfer the game to the GameCube SD card folder first, and will do it automatically inside the loader.

HDD side
The iso need to be named "game.iso" (it SHOULD be "game" not the game name)
It must be located in a subfolder of the GameCube folder.

USB1:/games/mario sunshine [ID6 of mario sunshine]/game.iso
USB1:/games/Metal Gear Solid Disc 1 [GameID6]/game.iso
USB1:/games/Metal Gear Solid Disc 2 [GameID6]/game.iso

but like I said, both MGS disc will be mixed by the current loader's revision, and will always launch the first file.
Other loaders can load games with 2 discs correctly.

In the future, when I'll find some time, I will update USBloaderGX to support Disc2 listing and launching properly.
The folder's name may change (for example it could be [ID6] and [ID62])

Arizato

Memento Mori
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you, Cyan!

This gave me a clearer picture on how to manage things. I actually found my own workaround a few hours ago, I placed the first disc of MGS on the USB harddrive and use USB Loader GX to launch the game that way. I will switch Loader to WiiFlow when I get to the second disc (I downloaded a save that starts from the disc swap), since WiiFlow detects the other MGS disc along with Eternal Darkness (Which i also installed a few hours ago). It works like a charm and now I can access both discs along with a new game. Looking forward to that update though, I prefer USB Loader GX over anything else. Keep up the good work!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you have a save at the start of disc2, then you can use USBGX too.
delete (or move/rename) the disc1 iso
Dump disc 2 with the loader, and it will go in the same folder.
your "games/game name/game.iso" will be disc2 now

the loader list all files named:
game.iso
game.gcm
ID6.iso
ID6.gcm

if you want to keep both iso at the same time, but only list one (to launch the one you are currently using), just rename the "game.iso" to something else "Disc1.iso" for example
and keep the second disc as "game.iso".

Or you can use two different folders, but GX can only launch one of them if the iso have the same gameID.

I would like to fix it, but I'm not actively working on the code, sorry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: hiiii sisters