USB Loader 1.1 Not Really Usable IMO

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Lomax, Apr 10, 2009.

Apr 10, 2009
  1. Lomax
    OP

Newcomer Lomax Member

Australia
    Well, I've tested a few different hard drives (each of which are on the wiki as "working"), and a few different games (each of which are on the wiki as "working" - including Mario Kart and Kororinpa), and my conclusion is that the whole USB Loader thing is basically unusable. Random freezes makes it a real PITA to do any serious gaming.

I'm sticking with DVD-Rs thanks. Maybe in a few versions time it will be usable, but at the moment it's more trouble than it's worth.

Anyone else share these thoughts, or is it just me/my setup?

2. loash

Member loash GBAtemp Regular

no freezes on usbloader for me. played numerous games of mario party 8 with the girl, madworld, mario kart wii, excitetruck and wario ware.

3. Don Killah

Member Don Killah GBAtemp Maniac

France
    well... seems odd to me because a lot of us are actually playing their games off the hd without any bugs.
    you must be really out of luck.

4. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Well the USB loader is not perfect yet, but for a lot of people it's working perfectly,
    So I really think the problem is on your side.

5. maduin

Member maduin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    it's your hard drive, everything works great for me. The only time it froze for me was when I was playing Pikmin, and hit my home button to bring up the wii menu, walked away for a few hours and came back, and it wouldn't load again. But that's my own fault for letting the hard drive idle for so long.

6. Shinigami Kiba

Member Shinigami Kiba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    I've been playing using USB Loader exclusively for almost 2 weeks now, using a Verbatim 16GB flash drive on which I have 10 games and THE only game that froze once, today was Oboro Muramasa(sp), not sure why but it only happened once after a good hour of playing.

Amazing game btw, I just hope it was the USB loader and not my Wii, fortunately I didn't lose any progress since it happened right after I saved.

My advice, don't copy games using the Wii, transfer them from your PC to the flash drive or hard drive, I couldn't install any games using the wii itself for some reason except for deadly creatures, maybe my wii dvd drive is messed up but with USB Loader and flatmii around(I should buy me a flatmii) I'm not to worried even if it dies completely.

7. Eagle687

Newcomer Eagle687 Advanced Member

United States
    If you have a USB LAN connection set for your Wii, try to delete it in the settings.

8. Lomax
    OP

Newcomer Lomax Member

Australia
    By golly I forgot about the USB LAN adapter! Will unplug/clear settings and re-test. Will report back.

9. Lomax
    OP

Newcomer Lomax Member

Australia
    Yep. Unplugged USB LAN adapter. Still had issue. Then cleared "Wired" Internet settings and NOW WORKING.

Just played a few tracks on Mario Kart with no issue, whereas before it would screw up within minutes.

Thanks heaps Eagle687.

10. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Interesting seems that the loader has issues when using a USB Lan adapter. Well I hope that bug get's fixed.

11. phpgeek

Member phpgeek GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I take it you have now converted to USB gaming like most of us [​IMG] Repent, lol!

Seriously though, glad you have got it working - I couldn't live without it!