US firmware on Jpn Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by mc2003, Dec 6, 2008.

Dec 6, 2008

US firmware on Jpn Wii by mc2003 at 5:05 AM (1,122 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. mc2003
    OP

Newcomer mc2003 Newbie

United States
    I just bought a japan version wii but with english menu and firmware 3.2u (well that is what it says in the system info in the wii). Its modded with D2C. The sales person said that it was originally with Jpn firmware but they managed to reinstall the operating system with US firmware. Its cheaper here to buy a jpn wii than a US wii. A couple of questions:

(a) Tried playing some original (ie non-copied) US games but it always require a system update (even with wii sport!!!)
    (b) is it safe to update with these US games?
    Â any practical difference between a Jpn wii with US firmware and a US wii with US firmware?

Could not find much info abt this and any help much appreciated!

2. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    b) yes
    c) no

3. mc2003
    OP

Newcomer mc2003 Newbie

United States
    thanks for that..........but i am curious why even at 3.2u i need to update if i were to play wii sport cos i thought 3.2u would be sufficient for such an old game like wii sport?

I did another test and removed the update from these US games (both wii sport and mario kart) and it worked!!!! In this case, should I still update using the original wii sport or mario kart???

thanks!

4. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    No, don't go anywhere above 3.2U unless you want to lose your homebrew. Stay on 3.2 and you should install StarFall so you that it skips updates and you will be able to use Recovery Mode just in case something happens.

5. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    It probably needs some IOS or a channel or something that is missing. It won't update the system menu.