Hacking Question updating firmware on switch precautions

bob2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to understand if it's safe to update my switch. I haven't updated the firmware in a couple years. I did the whole hekate thing from the switch homebrew site and I can boot the custom firmware thing and I can boot into CFW (emuMMC) and see 5.1.0|AMS M.18.0|E. It seems like I did it correctly, but I can't install anything because I get
Error 2356-0008 - Key generation mismatch(console firmware is too low) when using goldleaf. I also tried awoo installed, but it comes up with a warning that applet mode is not supported and if I try and install then I get similar firmware too low type message. I'm sure new to this as in last night new so I want to make sure I can just boot into normal switch firmware without sending a payload, remove the primary and secondary DNS I configured from that guide and update the firmware. Am I able to do this and I'm good to go or are there precautions I need to take before and after updating original firmware? I already followed the steps to backup my NAND and BIS keys from the switch homebrew guide site. Also my serial number is in this range

upload_2021-2-14_10-30-12.png

I appreciate any help!

Last edited by bob2020,

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
You have updated your custom firmware to the latest version but not the Switch firmware itself.
That still seems to be at version 5.1.0.
Most games need a newer firmware to run and that is why you get the error.
I've always used ChoiDujourNX to update my firmware and so far that has always worked fine.
Make sure you got your power supply plugged in while updating.
Keep you backups on another device, not on the same SD card.
If you update with a firmware about v10, the cartridge reader is disabled by default (nogc setting).
In order to play games from the cartridge reader you need to enable it (but you'll loose the ability to downgrade to anything below v10.
If you want to boot directly into the official firmware, you also need to edit the config file.
By default it's waiting for the payload injection and all you see is a black screen.
Maybe there is a key to bypass this but I'm not using that feature.

bob2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I went ahead and updated my firmware to the latest 11.0.1 following this short video .

It looks like it went through. I rebooted it and went back into hekate and tried installing a couple games, but I'm getting a couple errors now. One is "Insert the game card" when I try to launch a game cart I have from cfw nintendo menu. I had the prevent fuse burning (enable AutoRCM) option enabled when I ran ChoiDujourNX. After updating firmware which I confirmed in settings. It says now Current version: 11.0.1|AMS M.18.0|E. It's also asking me to update the controller, but I don't know why it would do that since I set my primary DNS and secondary DNS per the instructions of modding guide so it shouldn't be connecting to nintendo servers (I would think).

upload_2021-2-14_21-28-24.png

When I try and install a game via goldleaf I get

upload_2021-2-14_21-28-52.png

If I try awoo installer, when I launch it, it first says applet mode not supported. If I try and install via awoo then I get a similar message

upload_2021-2-14_21-32-23.png

How can I resolve these issues?

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-14_21-31-56.png
    upload_2021-2-14_21-31-56.png
    9.3 MB · Views: 135

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So I went ahead and updated my firmware to the latest 11.0.1 following this short video .

It looks like it went through. I rebooted it and went back into hekate and tried installing a couple games, but I'm getting a couple errors now. One is "Insert the game card" when I try to launch a game cart I have from cfw nintendo menu. I had the prevent fuse burning (enable AutoRCM) option enabled when I ran ChoiDujourNX. After updating firmware which I confirmed in settings. It says now Current version: 11.0.1|AMS M.18.0|E. It's also asking me to update the controller, but I don't know why it would do that since I set my primary DNS and secondary DNS per the instructions of modding guide so it shouldn't be connecting to nintendo servers (I would think).

View attachment 246619

When I try and install a game via goldleaf I get

View attachment 246620

If I try awoo installer, when I launch it, it first says applet mode not supported. If I try and install via awoo then I get a similar message

View attachment 246622

How can I resolve these issues?

You need to have the latest sigpatches. Check for @TotalJustice github. And for the future, to update your firmware, don’t use choiDujourNx, it’s “obsolete “, use Daybreak, ( bundled with Atmosphere release) recommended for the latest versions of Atmosphere. And to avoid applet mode warning, you need to launch homebrews using full ram acces ( launch a game while pressing and holding R button, pick user until you enter the homebrew menu).

Last edited by Maupiti,

bob2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded the totaljustice nro from his github and added it to my switch. I then updated the sigpatches via hekate since that's what I've been using, but I'm still getting the error 2002-4518 (might mean missing sigpatches or too low firmware) from above. Should I of updated for atmosphere. The splashscreen I always see says hekate. Did I screw up? Should I of chosen atmosphere instead of hekate when updating sigpatches from sigpatch-updater.nro and is it too late to choose it if so? Am I screwed?

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I downloaded the totaljustice nro from his github and added it to my switch. I then updated the sigpatches via hekate since that's what I've been using, but I'm still getting the error 2002-4518 (might mean missing sigpatches or too low firmware) from above. Should I of updated for atmosphere. The splashscreen I always see says hekate. Did I screw up? Should I of chosen atmosphere instead of hekate when updating sigpatches from sigpatch-updater.nro and is it too late to choose it if so? Am I screwed?
How do you launch Atmosphere via Hekate ? Chainloading fusee-primary.bin or using fss0 /fusee-secondary ?

Last edited by Maupiti,

Spartk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm trying to understand if it's safe to update my switch. I haven't updated the firmware in a couple years. I did the whole hekate thing from the switch homebrew site and I can boot the custom firmware thing and I can boot into CFW (emuMMC) and see 5.1.0|AMS M.18.0|E. It seems like I did it correctly, but I can't install anything because I get
Error 2356-0008 - Key generation mismatch(console firmware is too low) when using goldleaf. I also tried awoo installed, but it comes up with a warning that applet mode is not supported and if I try and install then I get similar firmware too low type message. I'm sure new to this as in last night new so I want to make sure I can just boot into normal switch firmware without sending a payload, remove the primary and secondary DNS I configured from that guide and update the firmware. Am I able to do this and I'm good to go or are there precautions I need to take before and after updating original firmware? I already followed the steps to backup my NAND and BIS keys from the switch homebrew guide site. Also my serial number is in this range

View attachment 246541

I appreciate any help!

did you update goldleaf to ver. 9? goldleaf 8 doesn't work with atmosphere 18

bob2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you update goldleaf to ver. 9? goldleaf 8 doesn't work with atmosphere 18
I'm on goldleaf 0.9. Also I want to point out that you mention it doesn't work for atmosphere. I want to point out again that I did the sigpatch updates for hekate since when use tegraRCMGUI I'm sending the payload that's highlighted in blue and not atmosphere. I feel like that is important to point out since you said it doesn't work in atmosphere, but not sure. Should I be sending the Fusee_Atmosphere.bin payload instead or is it something else I need to do?
upload_2021-2-16_10-10-27.png

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on goldleaf 0.9. Also I want to point out that you mention it doesn't work for atmosphere. I want to point out again that I did the sigpatch updates for hekate since when use tegraRCMGUI I'm sending the payload that's highlighted in blue and not atmosphere. I feel like that is important to point out since you said it doesn't work in atmosphere, but not sure. Should I be sending the Fusee_Atmosphere.bin payload instead or is it something else I need to do?
View attachment 246829
You don't "send" Atmosphere; you either send Hekate or fusee and both end up with the same result of launching the same CFW, Atmosphere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: So true