Update to Snow Leopard with .iso

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Ritsuki, Sep 18, 2010.

Sep 18, 2010
  1. Ritsuki
    OP

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    I've downloaded an iso of OS X 10.6 for my sister's mac, and I want to know if it will have some consequences like unability to do minor upgrades (the 10.6.x ones) or something similar to the 'Windows Genuine Advantage'

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Mac OS X does not contain activation DRM of any sort. The only DRM it has targets Hackintoshes.

Nevertheless, it still doesn't hurt to buy it; $29 is dirt-cheap for an OS upgrade.

3. Ritsuki
    OP

Switzerland
    Can't buy it, my sister's on 10.4, so she needs to buy the pack with iLife and iWork which is 170$. She wants 10.6 only for her iPhone 4, so it's a bit expensive...

4. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The $179 version isn't necessary, unless you also want an updated iLife and iWork. The $29 disc, though only meant for Macs with Leopard, will happily install on any Intel-based Mac... even if the hard drive is blank. [​IMG] (Apple tells folks to buy the $179 box so they don't lose out on lots of money. Skipping a $129 update in favor for a $29 update that includes more wouldn't be appreciated by any company...)

But if you would still like to use the ISO, I'm pretty sure it'll be fine if you burn it.

5. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yup. An .iso can be installed just fine, burn it to a DVD (dual-layer) or copy the content to a correctly formatted USB thumb drive. I did it for a friend recently. There's no DRM (there's isn't really any DRM for hackintoshes either, it's more of a compatibility issue with BIOS vs EFI and drivers). Also, as stated the "upgrade" allows for full installation.

6. Ritsuki
    OP

Switzerland
    So, isn't that false information if they tell the 29$ upgrade is no compatible with Tiger 10.4 ? We called the Apple store for some informations, and that's what they told us...

Thanks for your answers [​IMG]

7. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It's not compatible. You can't upgrade and migrate your information from 10.4 to 10.6. You can do a fresh install. With 10.5, you could migrate your information through the update.