Update Partition

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by WiiCrazy, Nov 20, 2008.

Nov 20, 2008

Update Partition by WiiCrazy at 9:23 PM (955 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. WiiCrazy
    OP

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    The latest hack about the update partition was bushing's semi-brick fix disc... after that nothing appeared...
    Just thinking aloud, update process checks the update partition on the disc... once it founds it probably lists the titles there and check their tmd's with the current ones installed, if those titles versions are greater on the update partition then installs them overwriting (uninstalling) the current titles...

Now here is the question... Does it check if the title on the update partition is a system channel title or a user channel title?
    Let's say it doesn't check or we successfully patched the system menu from the apploader so that it doesn't check... can we replace say news channel update with the fixed version of our bricker wad? Hence update process ,hopefully, will uninstall the faulty wad and install the healthy one instead...

here are the places to look at in system menu disassembly (3.2 ntsc)

Code:
    81378DB8 BS2UpdateInit

815957B0 WADGetInstalledVersion:ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ # CODE XREF: WADCheckImport+48p

81599D18 WADImportDVDForBS

81599E2C WADImportDVDExForBS

2. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    so what you are tryin' to say is that on any .iso we could replace, lets say my Wii has a faulty IOS55, the IOS inside the .iso and put a IOS55 latest version, and that way the Wii get repaired when I insert the disc????

3. WiiCrazy
    OP

Turkey
    Not quite that actually but kind of... More of, If system menu doesn't check if the title on the update partition is system specific then it could be used directly to replace bricker stuff (which are usually not system titles)

Still, if there is a check then menu can be patched on the fly with a custom apploader... on the recovery menu put the freeloader disc and see the usual freeloader effect on the system menu version you'll understand what I mean...

Still one need a 3.2 system menu and a modchip for all this to work...

4. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    damn wiicrazy where do you keep those great ideas coming from? :s

btw, rethinking the c64 injection yet?

5. WiiCrazy
    OP

Turkey
    Well actually idea is not that great, it's straight forward [​IMG] It would be great if it indeed worked [​IMG]

And of course I won't tread into the injection stuff in the near future, I need a wii to spare (current bricked one) for all those dangerous activities...

6. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    but we'll need to patch the System Menu still, right??, so the recovery boots any disc, even DVD's, or to make the Sys Men starts with IOS249 instead of IOS36, and then we can use trucha signed discs

7. FGOD

Netherlands
    so i guess you didn't find a way yet to get your old wii to work...

Straight forward but still a good idea, now up to finding a way to get it to work ;-) but this would mean like ether said, starting the system menu with 249 would help in that, but it would be great if there would be a way to patch the recovery so it would load backups... just like they did with the disc channel patch

8. WiiCrazy
    OP

Turkey
    Well yep, I even tried a wiikey2 modded drive with my current brick to no avail... tested that drive with my current wii and it autoboots... so autobooting supporting modchip was just a myth... the actual brick prevents the booting...

I'm currently way too lazy to try changing the drives and make tests on my bricked wii, and it's a lot of effort that I can't put through at this time...

9. FGOD

Netherlands
    i hope you can get the work done before january ;-)