Hardware unmodified or modified wii?

prophizy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi everyone!

i recently bought a nintendo wii (korean version) converted to english language and the store owner says that it has been modified. i cant update the wii too he says.

i asked him what chip did they use but he couldn't answer my question and just said it was the latest version. i dont know how to check if it has a chip or not so i bought it anyway.

as far as i know is that if it has been modified it can playback dvd, play wii and gc back-up games right?

the owner says it cant play dvds and cant play gc back-ups too. so im guessing it doesnt have a mod chip.

upon browsing the forum last night i came across a topic about freeloaders and soft modding.

my wii is on 3.2u firmware and in order to play wii back-ups i turn on the wii, insert the disc and click on the valbox channel then start. (valbox channel = backup channel?)

the valbox channel's menu says "force to ntsc loader"

ive tried a few games and it works. i tried playing mario & sonic olympic and harvest moon and i get an error saying the disc could not be read please eject the disc and turn off.

these are my question:
is my wii modded with a chip?
is it soft modded,is my wii running on a freeloader?
does it mean i cant play new games cause my wii is on 3.2u firmware?
should i return the wii back or ask the store owner for a mod chip and what kind of chip? (wiikey2?)
yaypsp.gif

hope u guys can help me... im really pissed of at the owner.

oh i forgot to mention when i start the game it also displays a green screen and i tried wario something game and the video and sounds is stuttering. is this normal?

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since all Wii modchips support GC, I'd say its a softmod, if you have the newest Backup loader, you should be able to skip firmware updates I think, not sure don't mess with it. A Modchip will almost always be better then softmod, better compatibility, GC support.

More proof its softmod is that modchips don't care about updating firmware.

Green Screen thing sounds like an incompatible game.

prophizy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just as i thought. thanks for the quick reply.

how about the sound and video stuttering? is that normal or is it because there is no chip inside? or maybe the copy of the back-up game is defective?

softmod it is...
mad.gif
grrr, that lame store owner.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night