United Kingdom sights

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Daois, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Daois
    OP

Daois Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2005
    Hey, this is more for people who live in the UK. I just recently moved here for work and I was wondering where would be some nice places to travel/visit? I really haven't been to much places other than places for work, and for a few English friends' places that I knew from online gaming.

I live near Oxford, if that would set any relative distance for travel and such, but I was just wondering what would be some places any of you guys/girls would recommend.

Thanks!

(loving the exchange rate too.. £1.46:$1 is way better than £2:$1.. since I still get paid in USD.. now to buy some furnitures)

2. DarkRey

DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Mar 9, 2007
    Croatia
    Rotating around Toni
    someone is happy of our exchange rate!! [​IMG]

did u go to the "West field shopping centre"? thats the largest shopping centre ever built in europe, the place is pretty big and crowded!! u should really try that

3. gov78

gov78 Ha made you Look

Feb 14, 2007
    London
    maybe bluewater shopping center aswell you have a look around liecester square aswell alot of shops and stuff there 2

4. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    Go sight seeing in scotland [​IMG] and when you do be sure to drop by my house =D

5. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    Edinburgh is good for a day out, lots of awesome little shops, pubs, castles, a zoo etc.
    [​IMG]

You can have a cracking night out on Newcastle's quayside and see things like the Tyne Bridge, the Sage Gateshead, the Millenium Bridge, the Life Science Museum and the Angel of the North
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And if you're in to doing a bit of walking and countryside stuff, the Lake District is beautiful
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Although none of these are incredibly close to Oxford [​IMG]

6. The Teej

The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

Former Staff
    Jun 27, 2004
    England
    Also, taking a tour bus round London is recommended. You get sto see stuff like Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, etc.

7. Little

Little I r Little

Nov 20, 2006
    England
    Really recommend a trip to birmingham, leicester and nottingham *nods*

8. nintendolinky

nintendolinky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 31, 2007
    Go to Birmingham, check out all that there is to offer there, and then go to london and to the new westfield shopping center. I went yesterday and its great, planned to spend like 50 quid. Left with a Macbook Pro, after student discount came to 1500 quid, not good [​IMG]

9. Little

Little I r Little

Nov 20, 2006
    England
    there's a westfields in london?

10. nintendolinky

nintendolinky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 31, 2007
    Yeah it opened a few weeks ago

11. kryss

kryss GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2008
    Wales but Japan at the mo.
    Blatantly Cardiff for Castle and the Millenium Stadium. And the Friday nights!

12. Daois
    OP

Daois Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2005
    Hrm.. so many things to do. I would love to go to Scotland and distance really isn't a problem with all the trains and such. I also have a car, so even if I were to drive, it still wouldn't be so bad. I'm from the US, so driving 10+ hours in one go just to get someplace isn't new to me.

I'm also going to try to plan a trip to London sometime soon. I wanted to go to the meet-up, but I learned about it a bit late, so I didn't really have the time to get ready for it/get time off work for it.

Soooo, anyone want to be my UK tour guide? [​IMG]

13. Just Joe

Just Joe GBAtemp Fan

Sep 25, 2007
    Cardiff for the Student Union!