Unique Screws on the gamecube?

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Seek01, Oct 16, 2009.

Oct 16, 2009

Unique Screws on the gamecube? by Seek01 at 10:55 PM (1,316 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Seek01
    OP

Newcomer Seek01 Member

United States
    I just ordered a DuoQ Mod chip for the GC, and I've never took apart a GC before, so I was wondering if there was any special screws on the GC that couldn't be taken out with the run of the mil screwdriver.

I need to know because my friend wanted me to order something to mod his GC and a GBA flashcard (he doesn't have a Wii or DS, which I told him would be much more easier and cheaper overall). He wanted the GC one first and foremost, so before I order any flashcards, I need to know whether i need to order a screwdriver too.

2. CasperH

CasperH Newbie

I guess triforce screws as Nintendo uses them on a lot of their products

3. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    It is Tri-Wing (Triforces are magical items from The Legend of Zelda shaped like a group of 3 triangular shapes forming a triangle with a triangular hole in the middle, each representing a trait of the bearer of the respective piece, known as the Triforce of Courage, Wisdom or Power), and those screws are only used on controllers and handhelds pre-Wii. The GC still uses linehead nuts, the same screws found on nearly every Game Pak (official cartridge licensed by Nintendo). Unless you buy specialized tools like the Access Pro Toolkit or a "GameBit", you are going to have to improvise, as unlike Tri-Wing screws, linehead nuts are not a standardized security screw. Popular methods of doing so include making a plastic screwdriver from the casing of a cheap pen by melting it and sticking it into the screw hole or modifying a retired flat head screwdriver of appropriate proportions into a fork able to grab the ridges.

4. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I paid like $10 for a "GameBit" and it was already dead after one job. Just drill the screws open.

5. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
     ?
    ??

6. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    i tried the pen melting thing to open my snes up so i could install a lockout chip disabling switch, all it did was become chemically bonded to my snes's plasic shell [​IMG] .
    i don't recommend that i ended up with only 2 screw holes that where usable because i had to rip my snes apart by cutting around the inside of the screw holes with a razor.
    only reson i had two screw holes is because i could reach 2 of the gamebit screws with a pair of needle nose pliers(though it's still supisingly well held together by just those 2 screws).
    you can open snes, sega gamegear(don't know about genesis or master system) and N64 carts with needle nose pliers since there screws are closer to the surface of the plastic casing.
    you can also heat up the tips of the screws with a soldering iron but that is a bit risqué if you don't have good precision with your hands.
    you can also make a gamebit driver out of a flat head screwdriver if you have a dremel.
    easiest way is to buy a gamebit driver but you never know how good the quality of it will be.

7. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
  8. playallday

Canada
  9. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
  10. playallday

Canada
    It won't work. Try it before you tell someone to buy it.

11. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
  12. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    "You cannot go wrong" means that even if the screwdriver turns out not to fit, it was not a big loss. It does not mean the screwdriver will magically fit, and it does not make it advisable to buy one if it is evident it will not fulfill the purpose. The screwdriver on DX linked works for Wiis, controllers and handhelds. You can open your Game Boys and DSes with it. But for the Game Cube, as well as any other home console control deck before the Wii, this screwdriver will not fit. If you deal with Nintendo stuff, it is always advisable to have a TriWing around, but this will not help you mod a cube.

13. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    I know, I've already updated my post. Are you HAPPY now? No need to post this if everyone has already said it.