Unable to launch apps from USB drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Drager0, Jul 21, 2011.

Jul 21, 2011
  1. Drager0
    OP

Newcomer Drager0 Member

Canada
    I recently bought an external HD and installed the homebrew channel on my wii using the ModMii installation guide. I was able to launch a couple applications from my SD card (Homebrew browser, a couple homebrew games), but when I used Modmii to make apps loadable from my external HD, (Formated it to Fat32 and copy/pasted all the given files into the root of the folder) nothing would show up. I had placed the Configurable USB loader on there, and a Gameboy emulator, but neither was showing up on the HBC.

I then placed the USB loader on my SD card, and I was able to launch it and play a game from my USB drive.

I realize this might be because my HD isn't compatible with the HBC, but is it possible I did something wrong that could have messed up the HBC or the HD? Also, is there any way I can launch apps stored on my USB drive, through something stored on my SD card, similar to the USB backup loader? My SD is quite small, but I plan to do a bit of emulation in the future, and it wouldn't be able to hold all the roms. Is there any way I can launch a loader from the SD that would be able to access files on the USB for loading, instead of on the SD card?

2. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Do you have multiple partitions on your drive? Btw, it's much better to have your apps on an SD card, since they will run faster and have better compatibility.

3. Drager0
    OP

Newcomer Drager0 Member

Canada
    According to USB loader I have two, one being about 300gb, and another being a few megabytes. When listed, the couple mb one is listed first. Could the partitions be the problem? How would I remove the small one?

4. JoostinOnline

United States
    Yes, that is most likely the cause. The HBC doesn't play well with multiple partitions.

5. Bumper

Newcomer Bumper Member

United Kingdom
    Personally i would delete both and then create a new single partition, this can be done from your pc in disk management, but as Joostin said SD loading is better.

Regards

6. Game2590

Newcomer Game2590 Member

United Kingdom
    Personally i would go with getting a bigger sd card, you can pick up 8gb ones for around £10 and just use the hd for wii games. Pick one up when you've got a spare tenner.

7. Drager0
    OP

Newcomer Drager0 Member

Canada
    I deleted the 40mb partition, and now the HD loads perfectly! Thanks a lot Joostin.

As for a new SD card, my computer was made in 2006, and can't read SDHC cards, so I'm stuck with 2gb or less cards until I get a new PC (Hopefully later this year)

8. stikboy73

Newcomer stikboy73 Member

United States
    You know you can pick up a usb adapter for an SDHC for like $10 at walmart

9. JoostinOnline

United States
    Of course, a lot of SDHC cards aren't compatible with homebrew, so the OP will be back where he started. 2GB is the maximum you should get, but it's enough for tons of homebrew.

10. stikboy73

Newcomer stikboy73 Member

United States
    This is true. I have a launch Wii and I have two 2GB cards and have never filled one. I use one for all my hacing needs and onw for all my homebrew. Neither one of them are close to being filled.

11. Drager0
    OP

Newcomer Drager0 Member

Canada
    I've launched a bunch of homebrew aps from my USB, and I've only noticed a 2-4 second loading time difference compared to my SD card. It really doesn't seem like that big of a deal to go grab another SD card, just to save myself a couple seconds of loading.