Gaming Typical Noob Post about Custom Firmware

solange82200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I got a new PSP Slim now, and I am going to be trying to get it on customer firmware. I've read up on this, but there is so much info out there I am hoping someone can give me some clarification.

I read Edilebird's guide, but I would rather not hardmod a battery myself. Instead of doing that, I can buy a pandora's battery, right? Can someone recommend the best one to get, that would ship to the U.S.?

So once I have that, I need a memory stick that is at least 128mb, but not over 2gb? Once I have those two things, I would follow the rest of Edilebird's guide, right? I've also seen all these different firmware versions out there, and all these posts about having to downgrade before you can upgrade, etc. I checked my PSP, and it says "System Software, Version 3.95". Based on that info, can someone tell me what firmware I need to use? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, I'm just really new to this and am scared of messing up such an expensive piece of equipment
smile.gif

Thank you everyone

Shyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardmodding a battery is not that difficult, but if you want to buy one, look around for the datel tool battery or buy a pandora's battery from dealextreme. Dealextreme also has a package deal with a cheap memory stick to use as your magic memory stick.

As far as firmware versions, just use either the TotalNewbieasy installer or the PSP Grader part of the guide to create your magic memory stick, and it will install i think either 3.71m33 or it may do 3.90m33. Either way, you can update to the latest firmware (3.90m33-2) easily from there.

EDIT: People are saying to avoid the dealextreme memory sticks, due to the fact they are a bit shady, as they are fakes. I personally used a Lexar 2 gig as my MMS, and I hardmodded my battery myself, via the 2 solder point method (but I used a bit of wire and taped it to the solder points so I could remove it once I was done)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Just a heads up; the latest DAX CFW is 3.90 M33-3 (not 2), and there's currently a stable CFW 3.93 and a french developing project on CFW 3.95. DAX has stated that he will NOT release 3.93/5 due to the level of work needed for such a low gain. The french team decided to take up the project in his stead for the benefit of those waiting for DAX CFW 4.00.

EDIT: For the benefit of aformentioned noob (no offence), DAX is the God of Homebrew and Custom Firmware (CFW) development. He's the only one people trust these days to produce totally reliable CFW (and downgraders for that matter, even though he seems to work together with M33 and Team C+D)

solange82200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Originality, so if I understand you correctly, I should install firmware 3.90 M33-3 on my Psp, from DAX?

Thanks to you too Shyn, just out of curiosity, if I'm only going to be using this memory stick for the benefit of upgrading the firmware (I would probably want a 4gb. for gaming purposes), does the quality mater too much? Could the "fakes" somehow mess up the CFW process?

Shyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, my mistake, the latest one is 3.90m33-3 from Dark Alex.

As far as the fake memory stick concern, I have no idea if it runs a high possibility of a failure during the process. I personally would invest in a 512mb Sony card for the purpose of a dedicated MMS. I just happened to have the 2gb one laying around not in use (I use a 4gb lexar normally)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...ick%2bpro%2bduo
Newegg is selling a Sandisk 512 for 3.99 + shipping, so if you go around to your local electronics store, you may find a good deal on a smaller card.

My 2gig MMS is still a MMS, I have found it useful and have not converted it back as of yet, so a 512 dedicated one may be a good option.

solange82200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again. I think I found PSP Grader that I need, is this the correct link?

http://v2.x-projects.org/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item7

And then it says in Ediblebird's guide "Then download the official sony 1.50 and 3.80 eBoot.pbp's(You are on your own here, not really that hard to find though)". Do I download those two things after I use PSP Grader? I'm sorry again guys, but all this stuff is making my head spin. I know to most of you this must look like elementary and all, but to a true noob it is hard!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You need the official 1.50 and 3.80 eboots because the custom firmware, in essense, is just a cracked open version of the official FW. You can tell by the difference in size between the official eboots and the CFW size. Your chosen CFW installer will use files from the official eboots, and replace the important files with the ones from CFW (or so I gather - I never tried on the Phat).

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
vivienne said:
onispawn said:
That's fine. Deal Extreme has had some really good deals on Pandora batteries
It seems great!
Can I trust all the products from Deal Extreme?
They are so cheap.
You can't trust all their products. Most are cheap knockoff products, but for many things it doesn't really matter. For things like game controllers, batteries etc. you can better buy genuine products.

In any case it's a good idea to read the comment section of the product you're interested in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/