TX Dongle longetivity?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by viper3344, Sep 26, 2018.

1. viper3344
    OP

viper3344 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    United States
    Hey all!

Wondering how long we expect the TX dongles to last? Will the caps eventually just go bad?

Instead of buying 2 (one as a backup) is there another dongle that will do the same thing? As far as I understand, the info on the dongle is not what you purchase the license for, its the license that is contained with boot.dat?

Any info appreciated!

2. Switchtime

Switchtime Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2018
    Denmark
    Mine lasted about 5-6 boots, then the caps were broken. It took about 2 months till I got a replacement from the reseller...
    The license is tied to your dongle, you can use only different dongles from other manufactures when you buy the lisence only

3. viper3344
    OP

Aug 18, 2011
    United States
    Ahh crap... What happens from time to time for me is it just wont charge from the USB-C. So what I have to do is plug it into the computer USB port to charge it until the light turns on (about 2 seconds) then it boots perfectly fine.
    My light will NEVER come on when plugged into the switch, only when using the micro USB cable.

Hopefully it will someday last until a cold boot method.

4. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    I have a pro but I usually just use my phone to push a payload.

5. viper3344
    OP

Aug 18, 2011
    United States
    Yeah thats another options I guess. So to use a generic dongle, I just need to buy the license right?

6. stewacide

stewacide GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2018
    Canada
    I'm sure they saved a whole 50 cents using caps instead of a battery ;)

7. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    If you don't already have a license then yes. Buy a license and then you can use anything that is capable of pushing a payload.

8. Loversan

Loversan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    The license comes with your dongle but it creates a file on the SD card. After you activate your license you can boot with different methods.

9. JoeBloggs777

JoeBloggs777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    if it had a battery some people would still have problems with that not charging.

also

https://dashcameras.net/battery-vs-capacitor/

comput3rus3r likes this.
  10. viper3344
    OP

Aug 18, 2011
    United States
    Ok so its not tied to the dongle at all? I can use a different dongle? Thats where I was confused. The first reply here says that its tied to the dongle

Thanks!

11. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    I think the dongle has a licence on it, but if you activate that licence, it's linked to the console it was activated on and kinda "burned" or used up in that process. You can use other payload inject methods, the sx os licence on that console will be valid.

12. Loversan

Loversan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Yes, the license comes with the dongle and once you activate it in the console it's tied to the console. You can use another dongle to boot the os provided you have the license files on the sd card. e.g. If you use the SX Pro in Console B after activating the license in Console A, you will need another license for Console B.

13. MachRc

MachRc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2017
    United States
    mine got super hot and blew out few weeks ago. So it lasted maybe 3 months.

I never charged it and used the switches USB-C port to "charge it" when injecting

Now I just use android phone or tablet with OTC cable.

tempted to buy that cheap dongle xkit on the front page for 10 bucks

14. Aerogems

Aerogems Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2018
    United States
    As far as the dongle goes... Yes, eventually the capacitors will go bad, but it should take years, maybe even decades. The same fate awaits all the capacitors in your Switch; entropy impacts everything. As far as the SX OS license goes, TX is very clear that the SX OS license is tied to your CONSOLE, not the dongle. You can use someone else's dongle, buy a second one for yourself... whatever. As long as the license file is on the SD card and is for that specific console, you're fine.

15. mranonymous

mranonymous GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2018
    United States
    I got a dud, as my SX Pro dongle only lasted around 3 uses before it gave up on me. It sucks, but I just use TegraRCM via my PC to inject the payload so I didn’t bother trying to return it for a replacement dongle.

I’m not really sure about the percentage of duds, but I’ve seen quite a few people on this board whose dongles have worked great for a long time, and a decent amount of people who got duds like mine. Hope this helps!

16. Wurstmann

Wurstmann Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2018
    Germany
    Do people keep them in for minutes or what? You're supposed to have it in for mere seconds, until the SXOS screen flashes. The caps are fully loaded after five seconds.

17. MachRc

MachRc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2017
    United States
    when TX first showed videos of it working, we all feverishly watched it and them explaining how quickly it was done. I had never had to charge it personally. Plus who care if its stuck in past boot, im sure thats a given when creating this thing.

I love my SX Pro purchase, I would defend them to the hills

But the loader did break

Buuuuuut TX made it so convenient (took time to look into community development and use open source to better their product) to have setup android loader,
    I still have ways to get my fix until the loader situation is sorted.

its too bad I was one of the early adopters from switch.sx
    that site looks closed now.

BTW

2 of my friends have gotten their SX pros, they had hard time signing up(registering their SX OS) off the switch internet connection like I did.
    They sent their load.dat something file to modchipcentral I believe and was sent back the same file with activation.

and their stickers were sent on the side not stickered to the dongle itself.

18. Albytrozz

Albytrozz GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2018
    United States
    I don't know about TX, but my dongle lasts a looonnnggggggg time B-)

19. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426

Last edited by DaveLister, Sep 27, 2018
  20. Kazesama

Kazesama GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2003
    United States
    Earth
    Some ppl leave their dongle charging for way too long (hours) or overcharging it with a higher amperage/voltage charger (5V+), which is bad... plug into your PC/Laptop usb for 10 seconds and will have enough charge for at least 5 boots...

According to a post on TX Forum, the caps are : KAMCAP 2.7V 0.35F Farad Super Capacitor

Per the article below:

https://electronics.stackexchange.c...a-capacitor-with-a-lower-voltage-power-source

Last edited by Kazesama, Sep 27, 2018
    comput3rus3r likes this.