Two More Men With HIV Seemingly Cured

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you didn't watch the video
I did. I was making a joke off your joke.
The thing is, with further research they may be able to synthesize whatever effect the bone marrow transplant had.

The trouble if they do find a cure for HIV or AIDS, though, is that as everybody goes "whoo-hoooo" and 'parties' to celebrate, all the B-List STDS are going to seize their chance to spread around. Not to mention the population crisis caused by the amount of new pregnancies, the other 'side effect' of unprotected sex that we all like to forget about!
Because we all sex fiends who are going to forget about all the things you just talk about over one thing? "Population crisis"? There is already a population crisis.

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
For those getting all "OH LAWDY SOON EVERYONE CAN BE CURED OF AIDS!" The average cost of a bone marrow transplant is like...$10,000-$25,000 in the US without insurance, and even then this definitely couldn't cure everyone anyways. According to the article, the men had some unusual genetic mutation that doctors think aided their "cure".

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, though, this is amazing. We're learning more and more about the disease and how to cure it, and this is one big step in the right direction.
Oh, the US. Such a backwards healthcare system.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is interesting news, it isn't a break through at all.. Less than 1% of the Caucasian population is immune to the HIV virus, so the people that had the bone marrow transplants happened to have gotten them from someone who was immune. Your bone marrow is responsible for creating white blood cells, so the bone marrow from the donors created white blood cells that annihilated the virus in the patients.

The thing is, with further research they may be able to synthesize whatever effect the bone marrow transplant had.

The trouble if they do find a cure for HIV or AIDS, though, is that as everybody goes "whoo-hoooo" and 'parties' to celebrate, all the B-List STDS are going to seize their chance to spread around. Not to mention the population crisis caused by the amount of new pregnancies, the other 'side effect' of unprotected sex that we all like to forget about!

I think you have to go people a bit more credit than that (along with the fact that a lot of people with AIDS are still having sex anyway).

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

I think you have to go people a bit more credit than that

No.

I really don't think you do have to give people a bit more credit than that.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No.

Well, then it seem we have reached an impasse. So...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

No.

And they call me a cynical misanthrope.... I can not say I have met anybody scared of getting HIV/AIDS via sexual intercourse in Europe, North America or most similar places to the point of forgoing it this side of the late 1980's, save a few that would have otherwise been spreading their seed at the time; today the boogeymen seem to be crabs, gonorrhoea and genital warts, but if it helps chlamydia is at once hugely popular (not sure of the current percentages but it was on track to be a clear leader of the field a few years ago), almost always asymptomatic until it is "too late" and frequently results in infertility. Likewise new pregnancies are not such a problem when abortions are cheap/free and easy for the most part.

Anyhow awesome news if it turns out they are truly onto something, might even have to get my HIV/AIDS knowledge back on form and see if I can make sense of their paper.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is good news, but even if this would be THE cure, then it would still take years maybe decades to implement it worldwide and get rid of the disease all together.
And I think most people don't know about a disease that is spreading and growing much faster, called Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM), which also has no cure and scientists aren't even sure what the exact cause of the disease is. Sure they know that if your lazy and get fat by eating to much and don't do any kind of sports, you're risk factor for it, but which proteins and cell processes are involved is still kind of a big mystery and I should know since I did an analysis of the disease during my 6 month internship.
This disease is worse than cancer and HIV/AIDS, in my opinion, but some might beg to differ.
Here's more clear picture on the seriousness of the threat called T2DM:
16.jpg

Figure 1. Global projections for the diabetes epidemic: 2010-2030 (millions).
In each box, the top figure represents the number of people with diabetes in that region (millions) in 2010; the middle figure is the projected number of people with diabetes
(millions) in 2030; and the bottom figure is the percentage change from 2010 to 2030.
Modified from reference 6: International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas. 4th ed. Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation; 2009:21-27. © 2009, International Diabetes Federation.
SOURCE:The growing pandemic of type 2 diabetes: a crucial need for prevention and improved detection

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay