1. Ttm3

Ttm3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I assume your referring to "uk3"in the photo? Hour did you come up with the tps61163a number?

2. SheriffBuck

OP SheriffBuck Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I searched TI's site and they had a 9 pin BGA package that matched. I then worked through the datasheet and the reference design is identical to the one used in the Switch with all the pads in the same place. So it's still not 100% confirmed, but feels right. I did check Maxim, but they don't have any 9-pin BGA backlight driver ICs....

npavlovici likes this.
  3. Ttm3

Ttm3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You sir are a smart resourceful man

4. Ttm3

Ttm3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    #Aliexpress US $5.80 | Repairing small IC chip for NS for nintend switch
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dYQkkfv

5. seidolino

seidolino Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Austria
    hey @SheriffBuck !

I read your posts and I've got two questions:

* I checked the TI TPS61163A on a working and a faulty port and I get 4,1V with the AC adapter plugged in. Am I doing/checking something wrong?
    * Is there another way to check if the STD-MUA9 Tuning Fork Crystal running at 32.768kHz is working or not? I mean without an oscilloscope? Maybe by diode values?

thanks!

6. Ttm3

Ttm3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What I have found is that if no lcd is hooked up it will remain at 4volts. Are you testing for voltage with the lcd attached?

I've tested the crystal with it still installed by checking for continuity to ground on the leads on either side. I don't remember exactly but I believe I was getting a fluctuation between 2.7k -3k ohms. I believe if it is fluctuating/oscillating it's working.

@SheriffBuck is sharper than I and probably has a more technical thoughtful response, but this is what I've found

Last edited by Ttm3, Jun 2, 2020
  7. seidolino

Newcomer

Austria
    How do you measure these parts when LCD and backlight flex cables are connected? I did it without LCD flex connected, but I'll try it with it attached, thanks!

So you checked the crystal with a multimeter, but in which mode ohm, diode,..? Sorry but I didn't get the description. I don't know what I need to do to check if it's fluctuation, thanks.

8. Ttm3

Ttm3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have an extra lcd for testing so I can plug it in flipped over. Alternatively if you have fine point tips for your meter you can test for voltage right at the connector. Just don't bridge any pins.

On the crystal I use ohms

9. SheriffBuck

Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I did my tests with the digitiser connected. Only then do you get the higher 17v driving the LED backlight. Without it connected, you should get around 4v.

I use a scope to test the crystal. I'm not experienced enough to know how else to test it without one.

I'd recommend one of these https://store.digilentinc.com/openscope-mz-open-source-all-in-one-instrumentation/

I'm sure there are others, but that's what I've used.

10. seidolino

Newcomer

Austria
    ok, thanks! but at which pin of the LCD should I check the voltage? can you maybe provide an image?

11. NaniMael

NaniMael Newbie
    Newcomer

Korea, South
    I'm having the same problem. TPS61163A Does it work properly by replacing it? Is it compatible with UK3 IC? I'm curious about the results.

12. Oriordan

Oriordan GBAtemp Regular

Algeria
    Hello, you seem like you know a lot about Nintendo switch mainboard !
    Please could you help me ? My Nintendo switch won't charge, won't power on, tried different adapter, removed the battery, forced shut down etc... I tried all known solutions, i think it's a hardware problem and some components need to be replaced !

13. SheriffBuck

Newcomer

United Kingdom
    OK. So this took a while, not helped by the first replacement chip pinging off my tweezers never to be found again. This thing is tiny! Second replacement arrived today (UK eBay seller) and I've just fitted it.

I'm pleased to report that the backlight is now operational! So I can confirm the TI TPS61163A works as a fit/form/function replacement! I probably need to do some side-by-side checks to confirm consistency of brightness, but it looks right at first glance.

Hope this helps the community.
    SheriffB

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

npavlovici and Ttm3 like this.
  14. flabbaba

flabbaba Member
    Newcomer

Norway
    A very intersting post and findings. Keep up the good work.

15. SheriffBuck

Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Yes. Sounds like a hardware issue. It could be the USB Type-C socket, ESD protections on the CC lines, the M92T chip or even a dead battery. If your battery is totally flat, the M92T goes into dead battery recovery mode and works in conjunction with the charging chip to get the battery to a level that would support boot. How comfortable are you with opening it up and taking some measurements with a multimeter?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I can confirm it works.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

On the LCD backlight ribbon, pin 1 is not connected, pin 2 and 4 are the returns and pin 3 delivers +17v DC to drive the LED backlight. This is the pin that usually burns out when the inside of the Switch gets wet.....

Oriordan likes this.
  16. Oriordan

Oriordan GBAtemp Regular

Algeria
    Thank you, i had to take it to a repair guy, he replaced the usb c connector and a circuit pi3usb

17. SheriffBuck

Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Quick update to close off Board 2. I gave it an ultrasonic bath and fitted an SX Core and was able to boot OFW which suggests I had a fuse issue. I've updated the OS to 10.4 and it is now booting on its own with SX Core removed... good result all round.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - mainboards, symptoms,