Hacking twilight hack?

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hi, I am interested in using a backup loader but was just wondering - why zelda? what is so special about that game? is it possible to use another game?

thanks

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
In theory another hack for another game would be possible, but until now only the Twilight Hack has been developed. I can imagine Team Twiizers hacking another game (Super Mario Galaxy or Super Smash Bros. Brawl) when the Twilight Hack is permanently blocked, but until then they'd rather buy themselves some time.

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
personally i think they should use wii sports 'coz everyone has that

oh well, i aint got enuf cash so no hacks 4 me!

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I used to think that too - they should really do it with Wii sports and Wii play if at all possible as well - just to give others abit of a choice - luckily i have Zelda anyway.

Zerxer

Trophies
Website
www.sitexero.net
XP
Country
United States
DS_USER_997 said:

Just rent it from your local video rental place or borrow a copy off a friend if they have it. You only need it for like less than 5 minutes and you're good to go.

haha, in before ciper

ciper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS_USER_997 said:

Borrow or rent it. You only need it one time.

Meowayne

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Reading your posts, I think you're better off not softmodding consoles.

And just for everyone's information, the hack cannot easily be "applied" to other games. It is a flaw of the game itself: The twilight hack contains a savegame with a really, really long name for epona. The game cannot process this (due to a bug) and crashes, "opening" the system for code installation.

Team Twiizers has hinted that other games could be used to similar methods, but that they would only worry about that when Nintendo found a way to prevent the Twilight Hack from application.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Meowayne said:
Reading your posts, I think you're better off not softmodding consoles.

And just for everyone's information, the hack cannot easily be "applied" to other games. It is a flaw of the game itself: The twilight hack contains a savegame with a really, really long name for epona. The game cannot process this (due to a bug) and crashes, "opening" the system for code installation.

Team Twiizers has hinted that other games could be used to similar methods, but that they would only worry about that when Nintendo found a way to prevent the Twilight Hack from application.
It's true that it's impossible to just "port" the Twilight Hack to another game, but it is probably possible to make a similar hack. Twilight Princess was the first game they tried to exploit, and they succeeded. If they can find another bug in another game, it would probably not too hard to exploit it; after all, they've done it before.

I believe that the Twilight Hack will be disabled in the update of Q1 2009 in which Nintendo will make it possible to run channels from SD-cards. They will probably also launch some games which "need" this update. It is a shame, as I've bought Twilight Princess specifically for this hack, but I don't think it will take too long before there will be another hack for, say, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 or Super Smash Bros. Brawl. In fact, maybe Team Twiizers has already been working on a new hack and is now just waiting to release it.

I hope I won't need to buy another game to continue using homebrew... that would be a shame...

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No its not true. If you had read the post the update confirms a new Twilight Hack available for download which is compatible with 3.3 System Menu. You better learn to read through posts if you are going to softmod your Wii because nobody here likes hand-holding. All you had to do was go to that magical search box in the sky (top right of the page) and type 3.3 Twilight and you will be flooded with posts just like this. Also there is a Sticky on the main Hacking page about the hack and how to use/install it. Yes, there is depending on what software you use. Just read before you use. Not everything is point and click.

As for porting the Twilight hack to other games. Twiizers aren't just going to give up the ghost on hackable games just for the fuck of it. Bushing isn't ignorant, he knows Nintendo will block the Epona Overflow hack eventually, after that its a matter of time before a new hack comes out. Just like when 3.3 came out and the Alpha hack was blocked. He said they had another hack ready to go, but could easily find a way around the new protection. Some idiot people who "accidentally updated" were without the hack for like 3 days, and you would have thought the apocalypse was happening. The Twilight hack (as already stated in a post a few above mine) uses a Buffer Overflow within Twilight Princess to cause Epona's name (which has been edited to be extremely long) to crash the system and go into a debug mode (of sorts) this allows code to be injected into the memory of the console.

A simple solution to being able to use the Twilight Hack forever is to not update your console. When you turn it off at night (or whenever) make sure the light turns red on the power button not orange. Orange means WiiConnect can still be connected while the console is in standby.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol