Hacking Tutorial: partitioning a drive for USB Loader GUI-FX

maddoc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Connect drive to computer.
Start Computer Management from Control Panel (or right click on My Computer icon then on Manage)

Open (click on) Storage > Disk Management.
The drive I am preparing is
wh01.jpg

Right click then select "Delete Volume..." if the drive is not empty.
If there are more partitions repeat the procedure for them too.
For Wii usage all partitions have to be primary!
wh02.jpg

I deleted all partitions, the whole disk is unallocated.
Right click on it and select "New Simple Volume..."
wh03.jpg

A wizard will pop up, click on Next >
wh04.jpg

Write the first desired partition dimension in the selected field, remember it is in MB! (1GB is 1024MB)
I'll create a FAT partition of 4100MB, a little over 4GB (4096MB)
wh05.jpg

Let windows assign a drive letter then click Next
wh06.jpg

Formatting: File system select FAT32, name it WII-FAT or whatever suits you best then click Next.
wh07.jpg

As you can see, FAT partition is created.
Although USB Lader GUI-FX can use FAT partitions as second, third or fourth partition, some other homebrew apps can only read the first partition on drive, so it's better to make it first!
wh08.jpg

Repeating procedure for another primary partition, right click on the free space then click "New simple volume..."
wh09.jpg

Enter desired size: this time for the WBFS partition, I use around 200GB in this example.
wh10.jpg

Let windows assign the drive letter! This is important so that you will be able to use wbfs managers for windows with your drive!
wh11.jpg

Not formatting the future WBFS partition!
wh12.jpg

I now have a primary RAW partition, empty, unformatted, of around 200GB in size in this example that I will format using the USB Loader on my Wii.
wh13.jpg

Repeating procedure for another partition, this time NTFS: right click on empty space then click on "New simple volume..."
wh14.jpg

using the whole available space
wh15.jpg

let Windows assign the drive letter!
wh16.jpg

farmat partition as NTFS, I name it NTFS so that I remember it's use. You can name it whatever suits you best, just remember that only GeexBox can read it on Wii!
wh17.jpg

This is the final image, partitioning is done, I have now 3 partitions: FAT, RAW (WBFS) si NTFS!
Now take the drive and connect it to your Wii, start USB Loader and format the raw partition. It will show you the size and it will be partition number 2 if you followed this example.
wh18.jpg

Have fun!

patts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice tut. This is the setup i will go for. If only i done this before installing all the iso's..
wink.gif

Is there any config to it if your WBS is nr 2 on a disc like in the example? Or does it work as long as the partition is primary?

Is there a way to shrink WBFS partitions with a partition tool like partition magic etc?? .. Or do i have to dump my games on the WBFS parttion back to my PC, repartionate and start over? I got one big 500GB WBFS part. at the moment...

D

Deleted User

Good guide for noobs who don't know how to partition
wink.gif

Not flaming, it's a good guide!

maddoc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
patts said:
Nice tut. This is the setup i will go for. If only i done this before installing all the iso's..
wink.gif

Is there any config to it if your WBS is nr 2 on a disc like in the example? Or does it work as long as the partition is primary?

Is there a way to shrink WBFS partitions with a partition tool like partition magic etc?? .. Or do i have to dump my games on the WBFS parttion back to my PC, repartionate and start over? I got one big 500GB WBFS part. at the moment...

If WBFS is partition 2 you just have to select it to format when starting the USB Loader. Nothing else to do. Just make sure all are primary!

You can not shrink WBFS partitions. Sorry. You must start over.
If needed you can extract isos to computer using wbfs manager 3.0. If somebody knows about other programs that can extract working isos then please name them!

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Anyone know how to do that on a mac? I tried, but the fat partition isn't regognized by wii, so I guess it's not the primary. Works on my mac of course. USB loader works.

patts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
maddoc said:
patts said:
wink.gif

If WBFS is partition 2 you just have to select it to format when starting the USB Loader. Nothing else to do. Just make sure all are primary!

You can not shrink WBFS partitions. Sorry. You must start over.
If needed you can extract isos to computer using wbfs manager 3.0. If somebody knows about other programs that can extract working isos then please name them!

Thanks. Ill guess i have to start all over then..
tongue.gif

patts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
roku93 said:
Anyone know how to do that on a mac? I tried, but the fat partition isn't regognized by wii, so I guess it's not the primary. Works on my mac of course. USB loader works.

Boot a linux dist, and do the partition with fdisk..
smile.gif

maddoc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
roku93 said:

You can try using a virtual machine if USB ports are passed to it.

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thank you very much, I do know how to use windows on my mac, I also know this can be done with linux. However, that's not what I asked. You're just telling how I can do it your way.

Edit: I realized I sound a little rude, that's not what I meant..

maddoc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry, I should have realized that you already used those possibilities...

I never touched a Mac so can't help you there. I feel for you!

Ghork

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice now I can have the things I used to have on the HDD as well...
Although I still dont get the USB/SD loader to be able to find my harddrive :/
Anyone who knows how to fix that? Ive got a Iomega prestige portable hard drive 250gb..
I guess I could try to format it to WBFS at the com.

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
Ghork said:
Anyone who knows how to fix that? Ive got a Iomega prestige portable hard drive 250gb..

Just use the other USB port.

Ghork

Trophies
XP
Country
G0dLiKe said:
Ghork said:

Just use the other USB port.
I have tried both, on one it says mounting device something but then comes the same message as with the other usb port first something that I have to format, then it says no partitions found...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...