Hacking Tutorial for injecting Genesis games?

althena77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello!

I used this video tutorial from 0RANGECHiCKEN a few times to inject NES titles into WADs and had no problems so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVzb0Quko4

However now I wanted to play a Genesis/Mega Drive game on my Wii and injected it into another WAD and tested it before doing anything else and the game itself works fine
smile.gif

But I still have some problems with the banners and icons also because a few steps seem to be different for Genesis games and so not everything is covered in the video which shows a NES game as an example.

First I don't know why, but the preview screen in the Wii Menu next to all other channels shows up but looks messed up. When I click on the channel however the preview picture where you can see information about the game (year, number of players) looks fine. What might I have done wrong here, I just used a normal PNG screenshot I made myself and convert them with HowardCs VC Save Icon Maker?

Secondly I am not 100% sure how to inject the save icon for Genesis games as this is not covered in the video. I have these WTE files and already figured out, that these are in the 00000005.app file and extracted everything with U8 Tool and CCF Tool.
But how about the packing, according to the video it is important which options you choose there for example in U8 Tool (LZ77 Compression or not, IMD5 or not?).

So I just wonder if there is a tutorial for Genesis game around that is as well made as the video from 0RANGECHiCKEN for NES titles and if not maybe someone could just tell me what is different about Genesis games compared to NES titles
smile.gif

Thanks a lot and greetings!

0RANGECHiCKEN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the long and short of SMS/GEN save icons is this:

Unpack the 05.app
Use HC's CCF tool to extract data.ccf
Use HC's CCF tool to extract misc.ccf.zlib
Replace the *.wte with the ones made with HC's Icon Generator
Edit banner.cfg to read the save icon text of the new game
Repack the misc.ccf.zlib
Repack the data.ccf
Repack the 05.app with "Delete any recursive _OUT folders" checked, LZ77 unchecked, Regular archive header checked

As for your corrupt icon.bin image, you need to use HC's U8 tool V8, not V9. Someone posted a link to it in the last few pages of the VCFE wip thread. V9 has a bug in it that corrupts the image, but V8 doesn't have that bug. So just repack the 00.app and icon.bin with the V8 and you'll be good to go.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
althena77 said:
Thanks a lot for clearing that all out, with these information I feel confident enough to give it another try later today
smile.gif
Don't worry too much about it. You can't brick your Wii, no matter how badly you mess up the 05.app! The only brick risk lies in the icon.bin, and therefore, in the 00.app (ie: incorrect headers), everything else will just mess up the WAD in different ways.

althena77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks a lot, I tried it again now and with the banners and icons everything is ok and I also created my own sound.bin
smile.gif

There is now just one little thing that I couldn't really fix yet and I hope you can allow me to ask one last question
wink.gif
I replaced the man.arc.zlib in the 05.app with an empty one (about 13 KB) as recommended in another tutorial but that doesn't seem to let the button disappear when when I push the home button on the Wiimote. How can I really make it disappear so that there is only the button for returning to the Wii-Menu and the one for making a Reset?

Thanks again and greetings!

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Replace your 04.app with the one found ( HERE ). I don't remember who created it, but someone here on GBAtemp did a bit of experimenting with the buttons and removed the manual button by accident. So we've been using it ever since.

althena77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
loesjoel said:
Replace your 04.app with the one found ( HERE ). I don't remember who created it, but someone here on GBAtemp did a bit of experimenting with the buttons and removed the manual button by accident. So we've been using it ever since.

Nice, so for now everything seems to be fine, thanks a lot
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Sicklyboy, not that bad ig +1