Trying to play Sonic 3 and knuckles

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by migles, Feb 14, 2017.

1. migles
    OP

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    Running a o3ds
    I tried to use the genesis plus core on retroach the thing works at half the speed
    With picto drive core is very playable it runs sometimes at 100% speed but most of the time is running at 50 something with makes the sound slow, hard to control and I notice the game does some stuff wrong (like several times I should had died because an enemy but I survived)

Does anyone know how can I play this game at a constant 60fps? Is there some magic hidden option in the settings or even other emulator?

2. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    Are you using the cia version or the homebrew version?

3. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    IIRC you can make Sonic3K work on the Genesis VC if you use a hack called "Sonic 3 Complete", it works well and it's an excellent hack anyway.

PicoDrive should work OotB and have good performance if you use the CIA version. "I notice the game does some stuff wrong (like several times I should had died because an enemy but I survived)" sounds more like a game glitch than an emulator problem I think.

4. migles
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Cia version, will the 3dsx version will make a difference?

5. matpower

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    CIA version has dynarec, 3dsx would be slower AFAIK.

6. migles
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    I guessed there was VC inject, however I used retroach cuz it was the easiest way.. I can't go to a computer to search for that hack...

Where can I get it?
    There isn't other way? I am already half through the game didn't want to throw away my current save

7. Hopalongtom

Hopalongtom GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Genesis plus runs full speed if you're playing on New 3DS, I would reccomend S3 Complete romhack however! As it is the definitive way to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles!

8. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    use picodrive core. Its much faster on O3DS. Also, I found disabling audio sync while keeping vsync on helps for all retroarch emulators in general

Last edited by TimX24968B, Feb 14, 2017
  9. matpower

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    You can find the hack on Sonic Retro. You can find the pre-patched CIA on that ISO siteā„¢ if you are too lazy to make it a VC.
    IIRC it should work with Sonic 3 and Knuckles saves and there is a way to inject a save into them. but I'm not sure.

10. Hopalongtom

Mar 14, 2009
    Didn't know there were VC injects for the Megadrive/Genesis, I assume they use Retroarch or a self contained Retroarch offshoot?

11. matpower

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Nope, they use the 3D Genesis games as a base. Often they inject games in 3D Sonic 2 since it works with most stuff.

12. Hopalongtom

Mar 14, 2009
    Wonder if anyone made a romhack featuring the additions the Mobile version of Sonic 2 had so it can be reinjected into the 3DS version.....