Trouble installing CFW (MicroSD card issues)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by detail, Mar 6, 2017.

1. detail
    OP

detail Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    I have a new 3DS XL running 11.2.

I followed all the steps on 3ds.guide and get where I put the MicroSD card in and launch 3ds Sound. If i do it with the power off, I just get a black screen and nothing happens. If insert the card with the power on it freezes.

When I remove the card with the power on, it starts working again, except it says, "Please turn off the power before removing microSD cards.

Any idea what is wrong?

Last edited by detail, Mar 6, 2017
  2. detail
    OP

detail Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    Bump.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
  4. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Do you have the 11.2 payload on your sd card renamed to otherapp.bin? What sd card brand are you using? Did you format the card to fat32 if it's 64gb or larger?

5. detail
    OP

detail Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    To format Fat32 I used: https://fat32-format.en.softonic.com/

I set it for 512 alocation.

The otherapp.bin I use is: New 11.2.0.36U

The initial download of the file is named: N3DS_U_26624_usa_9221

I then rename it as per in the instructions.

The MicroSD card is Samsung 64GB Evo Select.

Can you give me an idea if I did something wrong? Can I use a smaller card and then use the 64GB card after I install Luma?

6. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    The files don't matter at this point @nero99 .. He said that he gets a black screen when he turns on the device w/ SD card inserted, or that the console freezes if SD card is inserted when the console is on. This means that the SD card is not being recognized and is either faulty or improperly configured. This has nothing to do with the payloads.

@detail Did you test the card with h2testw? If you didn't, do it. There's a chance your card is fake.

7. munchy_cool

munchy_cool GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    or he has a9lh already

8. detail
    OP

detail Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    No, I didn't test it. Didn't realize that was required. I'll run a test of it and follow up again. Thank you.

9. detail
    OP

detail Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    Guess it is defective.

The media is likely to be defective.
    58.7 GByte OK (123230207 sectors)
    0.5 KByte DATA LOST (1 sector)
    Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
    0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
    0.5 KByte corrupted (1 sector)
    0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
    First error at offset: 0x00000008a807bc00
    Expected: 0x00000008a807bc00
    Found: 0x0000000835a5a9b0
    H2testw version 1.3
    Writing speed: 19.0 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 74.0 MByte/s
    H2testw v1.4

I'll return it and get a new one.

10. detail
    OP

detail Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    I have a 4gb card. Can I use that and switch to my larger card when it gets here from Amazon?

11. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    Yes.

By the way the guide specifically instructs you to test your card before you begin. You'd do well to read all of the warnings in every page so you avoid nasty surprises.

I'm kinda confused as to whether your results above would really cause this issue. According to the log you have ONE corrupted sector, and 0,5KB of data lost. That's like 0.00001% of the total data in the card.

What are you talking about? He clearly mentioned that his SD card is not being recognized so he cannot even go to 3DS Sound. What does A9LH have to do with SD card not being recognized?

Last edited by Distrance, Mar 7, 2017
  12. detail
    OP

detail Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    I know it said test it, but I used the card to move some movies from my desktop to my laptop before I did, so I figured since I filled up about 48gb with no problem, It'd be ok.

Yes, I was wondering about that too. It's one sector that is bad.

I'll try it with the 4gb card today.

13. bigballs1981

bigballs1981 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2011
    Venezuela
    did you run the test more than once? that's strange results, usually fake cards won't have the stated capacity, or anywhere near. they will also have many many read/write errors. also your read/write speeds are descent!! There are many Samsung evo fakes around atm - beware. i bought a samsung evo 128gb off ebay very cheap knowing it would be fake, also knowing i'll get a full refund. i was hoping the card would at least usable with less capacity but it didnt work at all. the files copied over but when trying to access the files they have 0kb. but your 3ds is acting as if you DO have a fake card.

14. detail
    OP

detail Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    I am having Amazon take it back for a full refund and getting a Sandusky Ultra 128GB sent to me. Gets here tomorrow.