Triforce Heroes is really rather awful...

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Muffins, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Muffins
    OP

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    I just picked up this game in leui of Persona 4 Dancing All Night (bloody GameStop sold my "held" copy).

Insane story aside, I'm just wondering how the hell this got through playtesting. It's like a really, really bad prototype of Four Swords Adventures where someone hadn't gotten around to actually creating the things that make the game FUN. I don't want to run around a level three bloody times because for some damned reason Nintendo ripped out the ability for the "doppels" to actually move unless you're manually controlling them. It's like a whole game centered around that one bloody level in OOT where you have to heft around that useless water princess.

So back to the store you go, little cartridge, and I shall never darken my 3DS with you again.

Bloody hell.

2. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    I love the game, with friends. I can't stand the single player, so I wouldn't recommend the game unless you have some close dedicated friends.

3. Bonny

Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    The game is actually good. The worst thing are the overpowered Sword and Masterful costumes who are ruining the multiplayer.... and all the childish and unfair players, who switch there WLAN-switch to "off" when the realize that they can't win in the coliseum, just to revent the winner fom getting his price. But these are the way people are in 2015. :shit:

cvskid likes this.
  4. Muffins
    OP

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    No. No, it is not. Bloody stupid company, making a game useless without three people. I was hoping to play this with my wife (as we had many fantastic times playing Four Swords on the GameCube), but no, you have to have three people or a bloody good online connection.

I just don't understand why they decided to go backwards from the way things worked in Four Swords to... this. It's not like there's a lack of buttons (hell, they assign TWO of the bloody things to running), so why ruin the single player?

Last edited by Muffins, Nov 28, 2015
  5. darksweet

darksweet 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. OMEGA FLARE

Mar 15, 2009
    we are totally opposite poll, i hate multi players because most of them have a childish behavior and thrash talking people, and include inconsistent connection

Muffins likes this.
  6. Bonny

Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    *agree* Well, of course. Single Player would be easier, if the two others - or at least one of the three characters - would be controlled by the CPU, but: How to do that, without spoiling the puzzels? And it's the same for 2 local human players. What really is a pity, that it's not possible at all, to play with 2 human players locally. I would be willing to also control the 3rd character, but that's just not possible.

Last edited by Bonny, Nov 28, 2015
  7. Muffins
    OP

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    The same way Four Swords Adventures did it, and I might add they did it bloody well, too.

Ammako likes this.
  8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    The game should have just never been created or it should have been included with an actual zelda like four swords was with the port of lttp

Muffins likes this.
  9. ILOVETOPLAYNESGA

ILOVETOPLAYNESGA Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2010
    United States
    Basically, I agree for the most part. It is terrible by yourself, and lack of a two player mode makes it difficult for most people to just get together and play. I tried setting up three 3ds systems for use with two people, and it just gets really confusing really fast. :-(

Did it for a while with three people, and it was fairly fun, but I still prefer four swords.

10. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    I'm probably on my own here, or at least apart of a very small minority. But I can honestly sit here and type that I have never been really into Zelda. Nor have i really played any licenced Zelda software for more than for 1 or 2 minutes.

I'm 28 years old and have been gaming since original gameboy and SNES days. OoT is frequently credited as "the best game ever made" but to be honest, give me banjo and kazooie any day over that.

Apologies for derailing thread but since were ranting about Triforce, it's sort of relevant :P

Oh, and why do people call Zelda a Role Playing Game series? It's action-adventure!

11. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    And Four Sword Anniversary Edition, too.

Because you play the role of the main character :P
    Granted, it isn't like most other RPGs, you don't have actual stats like Attack and Defence and levels, but you do have a Health stat that you can increase, and a Magic stat in some of them too.
    I agree it's better suited as Action-Adventure though.

12. Sinon

Sinon The Wolf Girl

Sep 15, 2015
    Costa Rica
    I don't know about singleplayer but local multiplayer is really nice

13. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    Never play single player in a co-op Zelda game. Just don't do it.

14. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    I like it, but I have friends to play with. You wouldn't play WoW single player and complain that it sucks right?

15. Muffins
    OP

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    WOW isn't a Zelda game, and it isn't made by a company that has previously made a game featuring multiple Links that was still damn fun to play single player. Or even better with two. Why didn't they put in the option to utilize the dopples in the same manner as Four Swords? I just wanted a game I could play with my wife, and cooperative fun non-shooter games are getting rarer and rarer these days. Nintendo is supposed to know what they're doing, Triforce Heroes feels like playing a game that's an unfinished Four Swords prototype.

In any case- I brought the game back to the store and used the tradein value to order myself a copy of Persona 4 Dancing All Night. It should be here in a week.

Ammako likes this.
  16. Wellington2k

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    Local multiplayer is my favorite. My friends and I had a fantastic time. :)

17. VinsCool

VinsCool Detached from Reality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I fear metroid federation force now...

Muffins likes this.
  18. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Well, as I was saying, I do play with very close friends. But I could see where strangers could be very annoying.

19. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Game owns. Anyone saying otherwise is a troll and has never played it / sucks working in teams.

20. Penman

Penman Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    The Singleplayer is quite unusable. The first levels are possible, but later on, I think, it's just frustrating. And don't even think about special missions alone. It was a challenge, to finish a level with a time limit with three players talking to each other but alone? Impossible!

Onlinemode is quite nice. The first levels are easy and later the get really nasty. Talking about a strategy in the skyworld is necessary, but impossible. 3 Players have to learn the balance acts. With 2 strangers not knowing how the puzzle is solved, you're gonna have a bad time.

The second fault is the horrible lag, you're experiencing with some players. It feels like you getting connected to some players on the other side of the world who are playing with a 56k uplink.

And the third: The game will die. It's a throwaway title. I think, in one year there won't be much players online. Single player is no option so you get a title whose worth is falling with everyday passing until nobody plays the game anymore while your savegames become more valuable.

It's quite a nice and loveley game, with Zelda elements, but not a real Zelda. Even the soundtrack doesn't give you a real Zelda feeling. Hurry up, play it and sell it or keep it forever.

Muffins likes this.