OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, no translations here.

So I open up the forum and scan through all the threads in this hacking and translation forum. I see that the entire first page consists solely of translation threads with a spattering of pokemon editing and anti piracy stuff.

Where's the actual hacking?! Off the top of my head I can only think of three major hacking projects.
Pokemon
Ace Attorney
Animal Crossing

Feel free to correct me if I'm just blind deaf and dumb though.

But really, I'd love to see some more interest in actual hacking and editing of games. Crack the scripting in GTA China Town wars, grab a fighting game and make sprite editing easier to import, etc etc.

/rant

Stevetry

Most perverted person in GBATEMP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1256630731861.jpg

Keshire

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Stop complaining and do it yourself. Hackers aren't dancing monkeys that will do your will to entertain you.

This thread is pointless.

Indeed, it is just a rant. I've attempted to pull my weight in a few projects. Such as JUS and SSBB. But there just really isn't enough interest or manpower.
People just want to play games, they lack the skills and creativity to do anything more than that. It's a shame really.

I've also done stuff on PC with Jedi Academy and Fable.
tongue.gif

C

CasperH

Guild McCommunist said:
Stop complaining and do it yourself. Hackers aren't dancing monkeys that will do your will to entertain you.

I like monkeys
moogle.gif

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keshire said:
Sorry, no translations here.

So I open up the forum and scan through all the threads in this hacking and translation forum. I see that the entire first page consists solely of translation threads with a spattering of pokemon editing and anti piracy stuff.

Where's the actual hacking?! Off the top of my head I can only think of three major hacking projects.
Pokemon
Ace Attorney
Animal Crossing

Feel free to correct me if I'm just blind deaf and dumb though.

But really, I'd love to see some more interest in actual hacking and editing of games. Crack the scripting in GTA China Town wars, grab a fighting game and make sprite editing easier to import, etc etc.

/rant

Tales of Innocence
ASH
Tales of Hearts
SaGa 2
Element Hunter

Need I go on?

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
It's not like there's any place in the entire internet that's better than GBAtemp for DS ROM Hacking. If you don't like the translations, then leave. Also, try looking into the past threads. TWEWY is very notable.

Also, clegion and neoxphon, he was referring to ROM Hacks, not translation, hence, something that does not involve just changing the language. Try to understand his post. Complete hacking like all the Pokemon hacks. (like Pokemon Bloody Platinum or Platinum Enhanced, the automated Japanese ROM to English ROM TWEWY exchanger, and the Animal Crossing Map Editor.

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Soma Bringer did have that model swapping thread. There really hasn't been much interest in mods, though... probably because anything much more complicated than simple image/sound replacement requires knowledge of assembly language, and there are very few hackers of that caliber on this board.

Missing Number

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gotta agree though, theres more digimon translation then u can shake a stick at and alot less in the interesting hacks department

seems like cokemon is like WoW for DS lol

i too would love to see a buncha full out hardcore hacks for sweet games like the kind we see on romhacking.net for Super Mario Bros. Dragon Warrior Megaman and Castlevania

but u gotta think, those games with all the hacks for em, all have something in common......

its EASY!

these things, people studied em for centuries and built idiotproof programs so simpletons(such as i lol) could build games out of their core engine, and the games with more idiotproof programs get more attention, and the shiny fancy games people are too busy admiring than hacking, get left out

i'd LOVE to see hacks for games like
FFIV to make FFIV-2 (aka FFIV: After Years) for the DS,
Zelda Phantom Hourglass to make 4-Swords DS,
a Remake of Super Mario Bros. 3 for ds based off the GBA version or
a hack of New Super Mario Bros. with simultanious 4 player download play wifi like the new one for Wii.....
but unless theres a massive reward in store for people, aint NOBODY gonna dedicate the time and effort to see something even they themselves would love to play, and thus you gotta settle for whatever few things people feel like making for free, while weeding through the billions of pokeyman translations

its a damn shame but thats life, c'est la vie

if u would like to see the hacking scene for DS improve i strongly suggest enticing people with some strong inscentive to do it if u yourself are incapable of undertaking the task at hand...... really if someone funded a rom-hack group, im sure you'd see people more willing to burn their time to make u happy

i know that one of the things that keeps me from really delving deep into hacking myself is the lack of reward.... i know if i got paid somehow i'd be able to show my girlfriend im not just wasting my time with an obsessive hobby

(by the way, not tryin to insult any pocket monster fans out there but really..... YUZ GOTTA STOP! ees no healthy mang!)

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Missing Number said:
its EASY!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

a hack of New Super Mario Bros. with simultanious 4 player download play wifi like the new one for Wii.....
but unless theres a massive reward in store for people, aint NOBODY gonna dedicate the time and effort to see something even they themselves would love to play, and thus you gotta settle for whatever few things people feel like making for free, while weeding through the billions of pokeyman translations

How is it easy? Very few people have enough skill, so how would you call it easy?

COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE. THERE ARE NO HACKS LIKE THAT. TRY SEARCHING AND YOU WILL FIND ABSOLUTELY NONE, DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH EXTREME EFFORT TO MAKE THOSE? YOU'D PROBABLY HAVE TO START THE GAME FROM SCRATCH. HOW THE HELL DO YOU PORT A GBA GAME?!! OR A WII GAME!? OR A GAMECUBE GAME!!? YOU SHOULD KNOW THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GBA HACKING AND NDS.

clegion

Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
he si talking about the pokemon hack, which while having a specific tool, is no that easy

and how many digimon hack do we got anyway, i am only seeing one or two

why is pokemon not healthy?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keshire said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Indeed, it is just a rant. I've attempted to pull my weight in a few projects. Such as JUS and SSBB. But there just really isn't enough interest or manpower.
People just want to play games, they lack the skills and creativity to do anything more than that. It's a shame really.

I've also done stuff on PC with Jedi Academy and Fable.
tongue.gif

Yeah, rants go in your blogs, not taking up space here. If you want more manpower to a project, say "I'm starting this project!" and then people will join if it's interesting enough. Complaining about it doesn't do anything except waste forum space.

Missing Number

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
KingdomBlade said:
Missing Number said:
its EASY!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

How is it easy? Very few people have enough skill, so how would you call it easy?

COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE. THERE ARE NO HACKS LIKE THAT. TRY SEARCHING AND YOU WILL FIND ABSOLUTELY NONE, DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH EXTREME EFFORT TO MAKE THOSE? YOU'D PROBABLY HAVE TO START THE GAME FROM SCRATCH. HOW THE HELL DO YOU PORT A GBA GAME?!! OR A WII GAME!? OR A GAMECUBE GAME!!? YOU SHOULD KNOW THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GBA HACKING AND NDS.

... ur jokin right? didja... like.... i dunno.... read any of it? or u got selective reading?

i said... and i'll try to make this as simple as possible..... people make NES hacks cuz its EASY and its easy cuz it has TOOLS and IF hacking was easy, that list there, is what we call an EXAMPLE of what i'd like to see, but NOBODY is gonna do something that big unless they get MONEY (or sex for those out there who are perma-virgins, u kno who u r)

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
It's not like there's any place in the entire internet that's better than GBAtemp for DS ROM Hacking. If you don't like the translations, then leave. Also, try looking into the past threads. TWEWY is very notable.

Also, clegion and neoxphon, he was referring to ROM Hacks, not translation, hence, something that does not involve just changing the language. Try to understand his post. Complete hacking like all the Pokemon hacks. (like Pokemon Bloody Platinum or Platinum Enhanced, the automated Japanese ROM to English ROM TWEWY exchanger, and the Animal Crossing Map Editor.

Look at the thread title and the content of the original post. I see translations mentioned several times.

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come on guys, reading comprehension. He's obviously talking about hacks that change game content rather than just translations.

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarthNemesis said:
Come on guys, reading comprehension. He's obviously talking about hacks that change game content rather than just translations.

How about I start a thread titled "Hacks!" and have the first 1-2 sentences be seemingly about hacks, but then diverge the rest of the post into being about translations?
rolleyes.gif

What I find funny is that we are all taking the time to respond to a rant (a.k.a someone whining) about something they have no intention of at least trying to fix themselves.

Keshire

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
neoxephon said:
DarthNemesis said:

How about I start a thread titled "Hacks!" and have the first 1-2 sentences be seemingly about hacks, but then diverge the rest of the post into being about translations?
rolleyes.gif

What I find funny is that we are all taking the time to respond to a rant (a.k.a someone whining) about something they have no intention of at least trying to fix themselves.

Meh the thread title was just to get attention. My intention wasn't to whine or ask someone to do anything for me. My intention was to bring attention to the lack of real game changing hacks. Sorry to offend people's sensibilities.

As for having no intention of fixing the state of things:

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Dec 12 2008, 07:14 PM)
Keshire did a whole bunch of work on the JUS sprites a while back which appears to be what you want to know
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=608...t=0&start=0

A word of advice though, if that thread does not make sense I suggest finding a computing book (data representation and file formats.....) and reading that before going on.

There's an included app that I helped write in order to extract sprites in animated form. From which I got my avatar. So try not to treat me like I'm some clueless noob. I have some pretty good understanding of cracking file formats.

I also did a LOT of work cracking the moveset files for JUS that nobody really wanted to take advantage of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night