Hacking Transfer Wii U USB Helper Game Files

cordib

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running Wii U USB Helper on a Mac using Windows 10 Virtual Box. I downloaded Yoshi's Wooly World and put the files on a flash drive since Virtual Box just can't read SD cards. Took the flash drive off the virtual machine and back on my mac desktop then plugged my SD card on my mac desktop and moved the game files over to my SD card. Placing the folder "Yoshi's Woolly World [0005000010184D00]" at the root of my sd card.

My problem is that when I go into WUP Installer GX2 it doesn't see any game to install. I believe this is because when I transfer the game to my SD card on the Mac desktop I can never seem to see the game files (.app, *.h3, title.tmd etc). I see those files in the Virtual box windows desktop but they just don't show on my Mac. However if I inspect the folder on my mac it will say the appropriate amount of storage space being taken up that would equal to the game.

I read some other thread from a year ago where someone asked if it was ok to transfer files onto a flash drive from virtual box and then to an sd card, but there was no followup with that on whether it worked or not. I'm not sure what to do at this point

cordib

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the Wii u isn't picking up your SD
I think it has to be picking up my sd since I installed haxchi through it. I pretty much made it all the way up to step 4 of the noob guide.

Is the fact that the files .app, *.h3, title.tmd are just invisible on my mac a factor?

cordib

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont put the game files on the root of SD. That's incorrect. They must be inside of a folder on root called "install"

i mistyped, it looks like this SD/install/plaingamename/invisible game files

I talked to somebody about it and they basically said that the mac will lose files when transferred over from a usb that was on windows. I'm trying to use an online storage device now like media fire or google drive to store the game files and redownload them but its just so impossible with how big the files are. It's failed every time. I also tried zipping a folder containing the files and then opening them on my mac desktop, again once unzipped the folder shows up with no visible files in it but the appropriate 6.whatever gbs being taken up.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i mistyped, it looks like this SD/install/plaingamename/invisible game files

I talked to somebody about it and they basically said that the mac will lose files when transferred over from a usb that was on windows. I'm trying to use an online storage device now like media fire or google drive to store the game files and redownload them but its just so impossible with how big the files are. It's failed every time. I also tried zipping a folder containing the files and then opening them on my mac desktop, again once unzipped the folder shows up with no visible files in it but the appropriate 6.whatever gbs being taken up.
Do you have an iPhone or android?

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I talked to somebody about it and they basically said that the mac will lose files when transferred over from a usb that was on windows.
This isn't even remotely true. Whoever told you that is an idiot, plain and simple.

I'm obviously not familiar with your exact setup but it sounds like it's more than likely your own fault because of how you formatted the device(s) you're using and/or the way your VirtualBox environment is set up.
You could try a complete format of your devices, for starters. I've had problems with some FAT devices on my Mac recently so I erased them completely using diskpart on Windows, formatted with diskpart from scratch, and then they worked perfectly again.

If you're on a Mac though, you could always install Windows 10 with Boot Camp and dual-boot. I'm not sure about VirtualBox but Parallels can boot from the Boot Camp partition (but be warned that you need a second license, or a... workaround), so VirtualBox might be able to do that too.

cordib

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have an iPhone or android?
I have an iphone, would be interested to know what you were going to suggest

This isn't even remotely true. Whoever told you that is an idiot, plain and simple.

I'm obviously not familiar with your exact setup but it sounds like it's more than likely your own fault because of how you formatted the device(s) you're using and/or the way your VirtualBox environment is set up.
You could try a complete format of your devices, for starters. I've had problems with some FAT devices on my Mac recently so I erased them completely using diskpart on Windows, formatted with diskpart from scratch, and then they worked perfectly again.

If you're on a Mac though, you could always install Windows 10 with Boot Camp and dual-boot. I'm not sure about VirtualBox but Parallels can boot from the Boot Camp partition (but be warned that you need a second license, or a... workaround), so VirtualBox might be able to do that too.

I formatted my flash drives in a number of ways all of which resulted in the same thing. I'd have a folder named whatever and upon opening it to see the game files the computer would kind of freeze for 5-10 seconds then open the folder and nothing would be inside. It's not too complicated. The files would be on my flash drive and visible on virtual box, then when that flash drive was ejected and put on mac desktop ^ would happen.

I thought I posted my solution but I guess I forgot. Basically to solve this problem I ended up going to a internet/printing place that had computers. I took the same flash drive that I previously tried using with my mac and plugged it into the places PC. Opened it up and the files were there, luckily they had a SD slot so I could pop in my sd card and transfer the files over. The place was only a 3 minute walk for me so it wasn't too much of a pain to make 6 or 7 trips but waiting for the files to transfer was a pain.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an iphone, would be interested to know what you were going to suggest

I formatted my flash drives in a number of ways all of which resulted in the same thing. I'd have a folder named whatever and upon opening it to see the game files the computer would kind of freeze for 5-10 seconds then open the folder and nothing would be inside. It's not too complicated. The files would be on my flash drive and visible on virtual box, then when that flash drive was ejected and put on mac desktop ^ would happen.

I thought I posted my solution but I guess I forgot. Basically to solve this problem I ended up going to a internet/printing place that had computers. I took the same flash drive that I previously tried using with my mac and plugged it into the places PC. Opened it up and the files were there, luckily they had a SD slot so I could pop in my sd card and transfer the files over. The place was only a 3 minute walk for me so it wasn't too much of a pain to make 6 or 7 trips but waiting for the files to transfer was a pain.
I asked because there is an android version of Wii U USB helper that transfers over wifi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo