Tinfoil error: install failed, looking for mirror...

Super.Nova

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Greetings everyone.

A friend of mine got his hands an a V1 switch (Erista) and asked me to mod it for him. I got Atmosphere running normally and updated to latest firmware, but whenever I try to install a local split game file Tinfoil returns with error "install failed, looking for mirror...".
I tried installing smaller files like DLCs, updates and games less than 4GB (since MicroSD is FAT32) and install goes as it should.
All splitting done via NSplitty.

Same game files were installed normally on my own Switch (Mariko) but refuse to on this one.
Could anyone please help me figure out what's wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20230924_083652.jpg
    IMG_20230924_083652.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 46

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Greetings everyone.

A friend of mine got his hands an a V1 switch (Erista) and asked me to mod it for him. I got Atmosphere running normally and updated to latest firmware, but whenever I try to install a local split game file Tinfoil returns with error "install failed, looking for mirror...".
I tried installing smaller files like DLCs, updates and games less than 4GB (since MicroSD is FAT32) and install goes as it should.
All splitting done via NSplitty.

Same game files were installed normally on my own Switch (Mariko) but refuse to on this one.
Could anyone please help me figure out what's wrong?
Try this:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tinwoo-installer.579661/page-14#post-10253577

Or DBI installer.

Super.Nova

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Could be relevant info:
- This Switch was software bricked and I managed to fix it.
- Split games were NSZ and NSP (and none worked post splitting).
Post automatically merged:

My thanks for your suggestion.
Is this the latest version, or is there a GitHub page where I could find the latest?

EDIT: scratch that, found your GitHub page.
Post automatically merged:

@mrdude Tinwoo wouldn't recognize split games for some reason, treats them as a folder with no files inside.
Should I change any settings to get it to recognize split games?
Same as DBI Installer, only DBI sees the files inside each split game folder.

Last edited by Super.Nova,

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Split games work fine, you probably didn't call the split folder the proper name with a file extension on it. Inside the folder with the extension you have the split files called 00,01,02 ....etc.

Also the file I linked is newer than the one on github as I haven't updated the github release yet.

Super.Nova

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Split games work fine, you probably didn't call the split folder the proper name with a file extension on it. Inside the folder with the extension you have the split files called 00,01,02 ....etc.

Also the file I linked is newer than the one on github as I haven't updated the github release yet.
Okay, I'll install your liked file instead and try again.

As for the title, I used the split folder as is (renamed by the app as I usually do) and files inside are named numerically as you mentioned.
Stumped as to why they wouldn't work on this particular Switch when they work normally on mine.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Okay, I'll install your liked file instead and try again.

As for the title, I used the split folder as is (renamed by the app as I usually do) and files inside are named numerically as you mentioned.
Stumped as to why they wouldn't work on this particular Switch when they work normally on mine.
You just need to call the folder - "something.nsp" or "something.xci". If it works on your switch but not on your friends if might be his sd card is faulty, did you try formattting it or trying it on your switch?

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I didn't try formatting and on my switch yet, but folders of split games have an extension (.NSP etc.).
I'll try as soon as I get home, and my thanks for your help.
it your friend uses a MAC instead of windows for transferring files to the sd card you will probably need to fix the archive bit on his sd card with hekate.

See here for info:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-fix-archive-bit-for-all-sd-files-and-folders.515258/

Quite often this is also something that people have issues with.

Summary:
Get your switch in RCM mode.
Inject Hekate payload
Tap on "Tools" on top of the hekate screen.
Tap on "Archive Bit - AutoRCM" on the right bottom.
Tap on "Unset archive bit" button. Wait a while, be patient.

Last edited by mrdude,

Super.Nova

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Yup, Fix Archive Bit solved it.
I have never used this option in Hekate nor understood what it was for, and danged Tinfoil had no documentation on this error for local install whatsoever.

Either way, my sincerest thanks @mrdude , you saved me a heap of trouble and helped one more into the fold.

Reactions: mrdude

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Mirror mirror on the wall,
Which's the strongest shop of all?..
Mirror, mirror, lie to me,
Show me torrent I wanna see...

Site & Scene News