The problem with buying used consoles

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Jiarue, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Jiarue
    OP

Jiarue Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    I bought my first Wii the Christmas it came out, I was lucky enough to be friends with someone at a game store who let me know they had some in stock. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially DDR, Metriod and Zelda. Unfortunately it reached a point where it refused to read discs and I could only play ones on the HDD. Recently I had the opportunity to buy a used one and was looking forward to busting out the DDR pad and sword-moting again.

When I got it home and started it up it seemed fine, it looks like whoever sold it did a factory reset. There were no saves or channels or anything. It ran DDR just fine but something concerns me. A screen pops up during loading which says "Wiigator". I googled the name and discovered that it was modding software. I didn't think anything about it until I popped in the Zelda disc and it said that it needed to update and had a big warning on it. I aborted the process, afraid of bricking the system.

Will the update brick my system? The only evidence of the modding software is the loading screen. Is there some way to clear out the system for a legit update or am I just out of luck?

2. gburgue

gburgue GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    Argentina
    I think if your console is already modified although partially (seems so), you should make a new and complete softmodding. And don't update the system from a disc!

HaloEffect17 likes this.