The Pirate Support Thread

What's your history with pirating games?

• I've never pirated in my life, but I have no problem with people who do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm considering pirating

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So, not too long ago, I decided to stop pirating games, at least as much as I could. In addition to it being a hassle I've grown tired of dealing with, it never settled well with my conscience (at least to pirate games still being produced and sold new). That said, the urge is a bit strong at times.

This thread is for anyone dealing with piracy, basically. People who do it, who used to do it, who do it but would like to stop, who do it out of ridiculous prices and unavailability in their country. Vent, rant, share your personal "rules," share your justifications for why it is/isn't wrong, ask for advice on how to stop. Whatever it is, feel free to share it here.

Of course, the typical GBAtemp rules still apply here (no ROMs, mentioning of warez sites, etc), and please PLEASE try not to turn this into a flame war over who is and isn't a horrible person for their piracy stance. You're allowed to civilly disagree and discuss, but don't devolve into the typical stuff that you know all flame wars are made of.

Reactions: Maxternal

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I just pirate when I can't afford something and buy when there's something I like or want to support. Really, game companies aren't losing a cent with me, if pirating wasn't an option I wouldn't have bought the games anyway. For example there's a bunch of 3DS games I never will have the chance to try out and it's not like I can afford them either with all the upcoming software I'm planning to buy. Another example is Retro City Rampage on Wii, even if it's easier for me to pirate it I'm still going to buy the game to show some support.

I don't have a clue what option to pick in the poll... I'll go with: I currently pirate and see no problems with it.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm between five and seven. All in all, I see no problem with piracy, most of the attacks against it are bullshit, just as a lot of the defenses for it. There was a time I pirated because I was poor. Nowadays, it's either so I can demo, circumvent retarded as fucking hell DRMs, or find old games.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to pirate before I had a job. Now I just buy games during Steam sales. I still end up with an abundance of games I barely play, so it's basically the same.

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jolly roger we meet once again. seeking reassurance i see?

are you even putting off try-before-you-buy?

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I used to always pirate on whatever I could, but now that I have a new Gaming PC I haven't pirated a single thing, not even windows.
But I still have the Wii Games that I have pirated and have no problem with pirating them.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I just pirate when I can't afford something and buy when there's something I like or want to support. Really, game companies aren't losing a cent with me, if pirating wasn't an option I wouldn't have bought the games anyway. For example there's a bunch of 3DS games I never will have the chance to try out and it's not like I can afford them either with all the upcoming software I'm planning to buy. Another example is Retro City Rampage on Wii, even if it's easier for me to pirate it I'm still going to buy the game to show some support.

I don't have a clue what option to pick in the poll... I'll go with: I currently pirate and see no problems with it.
Exactly the same with me. My exceptions are:
  • Indie games (sometimes I'll pirate to see whether I like them first)
  • Valve games, they're just too much of an awesome company to pirate from. (Though as a result I still haven't played ep 2).

arogance1

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a young child, and my wife is out of work.
My wage barely covers the monthly bills / food etc, and I've cut back on just about everything that maes life enjoyable.
If I didn't pirate games, I still wouldn't be buying them, so why should I miss out on playing the latest Pokemon games or new Wii games, although both DS and Wii are dying out quickly.
I currently only use the Wii to play films / TV shows through, because I wouldn't see them any other way.

I would love to play the New Super Mario Bros 2, and Professor Layton games, but I never will

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I only pirate DS games, i purchase everything else.

I'm not actually sure why i pirate the DS games, i'm lucky to be in a position where i can afford to pay for them.

I've given these console suppliers enough of my money in the past to have my perk with the DS games.

GammaGeorgeX

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
A little bit the 7th, but mainly the 5th because it is not really stealing, but copying, which is different. Nothing in life is even unique, you just make it out of what already exists.

P

pasc

Mostly stopped due to 3DS.

However old systems even require you to, due to enourmous Ebay prices.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I download stuf now and then.
Old games, like the LBA 2 (disk is showing cracks, so I'm a tad scared to use it...) and other memorabilia (older movies, or hard to find stuff (or just way way to expensive for my liking))

xxNathanxx

Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia
Piracy is for losers. If you're in a position where you can't afford games (or records or books or whatever) and you resort to piracy, you suck. Maybe you should use the time you spend playing pirated video games to think of ways to improve your life, or at the very least your wage. Do you NEED that PS3 game? Do you NEED that episode? Do you NEED that album? Of course not. They might be nice extras that make you feel good for a minute but in the end you could have spent the time you spent playing the game doing something more useful which would actually allow you to spend more time playing games in the future (and would allow you to pay for said games).

If you have the money to afford everything you want but still resort to piracy, you're a complete twat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 👀 Where?! 👀 Where!?