Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
HUB are not working with cIOS (so, no USB Loaders for wii games).
It works only with IOS58 (nintendont, other homebrew like emulators).

You can use the HUB as additional power source, where you plug your y-cable power into, but the drive or the y-cable data should not use HUB and be connected directly to USB Port 0 (back-top).

Hey all, just thought I'd update this.

Got my Y-Cable, plugged it into the back top USB port loaded up USB Loader GX, launched a Wii game and works perfectly

So for anyone out there trying to use a USB hub for Wii games on a Wii U... Don't, it wont work.

Reactions: Cyan

Ehb33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Can you do vWii and Wii u hacking from the same harddrive? Or would I need to switch between different harddrives depending on if wanted to play wii or wii u games?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
WiiU uses a proprietary HDD format, without partition support, so you can't use the same HDD for both WiiU mode and vWii mode.
but, that doesn't mean you can't play wii or gamecube games using the WiiU HDD ! you can play these in WiiU mode !
inject wii or gamecube (or other) games in a WiiU Virtual console channel, and install the result as if it was a WiiU game (it is, it's a wiiu channel, with an iso inside) on a WiiU HDD.

if you want to boot into vWii mode and use vWii homebrew, then you'll need a FAT32 hdd.
you can have both plugged at the same time for convenience.

Ehb33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
WiiU uses a proprietary HDD format, without partition support, so you can't use the same HDD for both WiiU mode and vWii mode.
but, that doesn't mean you can't play wii or gamecube games using the WiiU HDD ! you can play these in WiiU mode !
inject wii or gamecube (or other) games in a WiiU Virtual console channel, and install the result as if it was a WiiU game (it is, it's a wiiu channel, with an iso inside) on a WiiU HDD.

if you want to boot into vWii mode and use vWii homebrew, then you'll need a FAT32 hdd.
you can have both plugged at the same time for convenience.
Okay, thanks for the insight.

demonfish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to ask this question Guy`s ..but it`s always better to be safe than sorry.
I have a WIIU been sitting idle for quite a few months now (maybe 9 months give or take) This console is pro 32GB version and I have Hatchi installed via a DS game purchased all working sweet back then,
Now I never ever bothered with the v-WII side at all...But I think I may just want to try this out...So my question is...Is this Guide still the most up-to-date and relevant method of exploitation of the vWii ? and if not ? then please can someone direct me to the most up-to-date Guide.
Thank you for any help or assistance you may offer.

Best Regards,

Last edited by demonfish,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you can follow this guide.
whether your wiiu is updated or not, hacked or not, has no effect you vWii hacking.
this guide is up to date, even if there are very few info which might seems outdated (like, this guide was written when 5.5.2 was released, now there is 5.5.3.... if it tells you you need 5.5.2 it's wrong, everything work fine with 5.5.3)

Reactions: demonfish

demonfish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you can follow this guide.
whether your wiiu is updated or not, hacked or not, has no effect you vWii hacking.
this guide is up to date, even if there are very few info which might seems outdated (like, this guide was written when 5.5.2 was released, now there is 5.5.3.... if it tells you you need 5.5.2 it's wrong, everything work fine with 5.5.3)

Thank you Sir for your time and help...I really appreciate your advice. Thank you.
I will follow this Guide now as I just needed the clarification.

Best Regards,

elsanto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
xyzzy doesnt work for me.

It shows: Getting keys... and then "Fatal error: SEEPROM_Mount failed."

and returns to Homebrew Channel.

No files written to SD card.

any idea? Thank you

Yummydud

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The IOS236 installation completes but halfway through the installation, two of the lines mention that it can't find the IOS wad in the root of the SD card, and after it brings me back to homebrew channel it is still IOS58, do i need the IOS236 wad for this or no?

HikariWS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Are files linked in this guide updated? If not, is there any place to get updated versions?

I installed cIOS in 2017 and am unable to load my HD with USB Loader GX. Maybe if I install updated cIOS it could work?

Another question, how can I verify each cIOS version that's installed?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
there's no new cIOS update for years. except maybe the mod to work with stealth hdd.
don't do random things with random files found on internet ! be sure you use correct version for correct console. learn how things work and what you need first, instead of randomly editing your setup and hoping it'll do something : yes, it'll do a brick !

to check which cIOS version/base you have, you need to run syscheck.
look in my signature, there's a guide. if you want you can post the result here and we will guide you if you need to do any modification.

If USBLoaderGX doesn't work, it's not due to cIOS but to setting or HDD. WiiU and newer HDD are bad mix, you need to change some settings in the loader : set loader's IOS to 58 instead of 249.
then change the game's IOS to the slot number where you installed base 57 (you'll know after doing syscheck).

edit:
I found your other thread here :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-usb-loader-gx-stuck-on-initialize-usb-device-screen.526605/

your problem : you UPDATED the cIOS !
yeah, because newer is NOT better.

the latest version of cIOS is beta, not working ! don't use r53 (it's explained in the guide to only install r52).

so, to fix your problem you don't need updated cIOS, you need outdated ones.

Also, your real issue is probably the Dock itself.
dock are acting like hubs, they are not compatible with cIOS.

Last edited by Cyan,

HikariWS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
there's no new cIOS update for years. except maybe the mod to work with stealth hdd.
don't do random things with random files found on internet ! be sure you use correct version for correct console. learn how things work and what you need first, instead of randomly editing your setup and hoping it'll do something : yes, it'll do a brick!

I know, I know. That's why I'm asking if these files are still actual. The USBLoaderGX I was using was a few revisions older than the one available now, that's why I supposed there might be newer cIOS too.

I found your other thread
your problem : you UPDATED the cIOS !
yeah, because newer is NOT better.

Yeah, let's keep it on that thread to make it simpler.

But I didn't update cIOS now. They are the ones I installed in 2017. What I updated now was USBLoaderGX files on the SD.

I backed up the files I had before copying the new ones. I'm not at home now, when I get home I'll add on that thread the version I had on SD before - when I worked on it on 2017 - and the ones I placed now.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
But I didn't update cIOS now. They are the ones I installed in 2017. What I updated now was USBLoaderGX files on the SD.
I backed up the files I had before copying the new ones
d2x r53 are not good anyway. It can work, but has some issues with hardware detection.
if it used to work, then there shouldn't be a problem by updating the loader as I didn't change the boot sequence (I tried to, but reverted back to 1268).
if you had a more older version, try reverting to that older version and see if it fix your detection issue. You can find older version on the first post of the official thread.

If you also reset your setting, try to force the loader to use IOS58 instead of the cIOS (and here, even r52 is not always good for initialization with newer drives).
settings > loader settings > loader's IOS : replace 249 with 58 and reboot.

If you can, I would also recommend replacing your cIOS with r52.
r53 is needed only if you really need to use USB Ports 1 instead of 0, or 2 USB Port at the same time. if you don't really need that, you better use the more stable r52 instead.
r53 has also more issues : some games don't work, some games don't work from SD card (with wiiflow), HDD is not always detected and using emuNAND feature.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't gotten around to modding my WiiU, guess I've just been lazy. Now I'm heading out for a few days on vacation and want to know is there anything I need to do before the servers shut down at the end of the year?

Will I still be able to mod it after the beginning of the year? I don't currently have a Nintendo account, so I don't have any games, points or other stuff to worry about losing. I'm leaving in the morning, so if there is something I need to do can you let me know how far in the guide I'd need to get to not worry about this issue?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
we are not sure if all the Wii servers will shut down, or only the Wii eshop (wiiware, virtual console and demos).
note that it's only the Wii servers which will shutdown, not the wiiu. There's no nintendo account on Wii, there's no way to buy any more Wii points for months, and you can only spend them up to end of january 2019 if you have any left.

so, to answer your question :
If you plan to hack vWii : you don't need to access nintendo servers at all.
everything needed is already present on your console. you can hack it in 5 years if you want.

Reactions: ca032769

DaOldGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi Guys, I was able to instal Wii U WUP files before and today I tried doing the Wii hack.

I managed getting to the point where I launch vWii and then the Mii Channel. After the "You shouldn't have paid for this" disclaimer it says I can install homebrew channel but bootmi is red and unavailible.

I put boot.elf from the hackmii_installer_v1.2 zipfile on the SD card. Is there something else missing?

Cheers
DaOldGamer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: LMAO