Apple The 4G is really only 6.5GB.

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know they need to use up a lot of space for the default apps, the firmware, etc. but the 4G only has 6.5GB capacity.

I kinda think this is unfair, you spend $225 +tax
ohmy.gif
and only get 6.5GB when advertised 8GB? Maybe they should make it 9GB instead so you only get 7.5GB, at least that's close to 8GB. :/

What do you think about it? Don't flame me :3

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not to sound mean but like other people have posted in their own way quit bitching. Every company does this and you would think by now people would understand whats going on.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's something you can try, this may take exactly as long has the length of total music on your device, but it might save massive amounts of memory. When you go to your iPod on iTunes, tell it to convert every song higher than 128kb/s bitrate to exactly that. If you're like me who downloads MP3's that are pretty much all 320kb/s in bitrate, that's like turning your 8GB iPod into a 16GB, or even higher because 320 is over 2x128.

This WILL take a long time, seriously, it took 5 minutes to sync a 5 minute song.

EDIT: If you buy your music though, I think 128kb/s AAC is the iTunes store default. Yet, if you do in fact have higher bitrate audio files, I recommend doing this anyways just to save up space.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Many factors are responsible for this. As stated above, HDD/SSD manufacturers calculate bytes differently (and incorrectly).

As Darkmystery said, iOS takes up a considerable amount of space itself. (The firmware's gotta go somewhere...) iOS 4.3.3's IPSW is ~650 MB (for the iPod touch 4G), and that's after being compressed into a ZIP file.

@Selim873: Ever since Apple stopped selling songs with FairPlay DRM, it's been 256 kbps.
smile.gif

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree, they should give you 8GB of space plus the space for the OS. That's like me paying someone their wage minus £10 because it costs that much to write their pay cheque.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you were that worried about not getting enough space, why not get the 16GB version instead?

IMO, consumers should know beforehand that an 8GB media device will never be 8GB, but somewhat less. 6GB should still be plenty to fill with songs and have space for a few extra apps like games. Those who feel disappointed in not getting 8 full GB either didn't do their homework, or have too high expectations.

takeshi10123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Originality said:
If you were that worried about not getting enough space, why not get the 16GB version instead?

IMO, consumers should know beforehand that an 8GB media device will never be 8GB, but somewhat less. 6GB should still be plenty to fill with songs and have space for a few extra apps like games. Those who feel disappointed in not getting 8 full GB either didn't do their homework, or have too high expectations.
No 16GB 4th gen iPod Touch only 8GB, 32GB and 64GB versions of 4th gen iPod Touch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to...