Tempted to upgrade my desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by the_randomizer, Dec 7, 2016.

1. the_randomizer
    OP

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    What I want to upgrade to:

CPU - Core i5 6600 Skylake 3.3 GHz Quad Core
    Motherboard - Asus Z170-A
    RAM - 8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black (maybe go for 16 GB)
    Tower - CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced
    CPU cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

What I don't need to upgrade:

Hard drives - x2 1 TB HDDs
    DVD ROM - Forgot the make, but it's good, LG I believe
    Monitor - 23" LED Asus monitor
    GPU - nVidia GTX 660 (I know, old, but I don't think I can afford a new one,
    unless the I get one my brother said he would give away, which is much better than this one).
    PSU - 600 W, should suffice for an update since newer CPUs use a lot less power

Build so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4Zp6pb
    Given that it's less than 600 dollars is pretty good I think :P

But I'm open for suggestions, the reason I want to upgrade is, well I've had this machine for nearly four years, and I don't know how long this will last, that, it would be good to replace some of the hardware for the sake of longevity. If you guys feel the need to change any of these components, by all means, and no, I'm not going with AMD for a variety of reasons. :P

Last edited by the_randomizer, Dec 7, 2016

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Do you mean what you want to upgrade to, or what you're upgrading from?

3. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Sorry, that's what I want to upgrade to, the Skylake CPU, new motherboard, etc.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    What CPU and tower are you upgrading from?

5. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Core i5 3570
    Cooler Master HAF 912 or something to that effect
    8 GB RAM
    Asus motherboard

I don't plan on overclocking, I don't trust doing it. I just want a better CPU mostly.

6. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    if i may suggest, replace the hyer 212 evo with the hyper 212 X. pretty much the same, but the fans are better and better looking. also, you can get a gtx 150ti 4gb for $130-$150 on newegg ebay store, also shoot for 16gb ram if you have the money. it'll come in handy for multi tasking.

the_randomizer likes this.
  7. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    K. Get the i5 6500. It's a better bang for the buck. There are also better cases you could get for the price (or cheaper), unless that one has a specific feature you're looking for. Everything else looks good

8. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Gotcha, still, not sure on the GPU, I might be able to get a better one for free, as my brother mentioned giving it to us as an upgrade. As for the cooler, I'll get that one instead.

As far as cases go, I want as much airflow as I can get, front, rear, maybe side or top 200 mm fans, the problem is I don't want a case that sucks in the literal sense.

9. RaMon90

RaMon90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2013
    Italy
    The i5 6600 without the "k" cant be overclocked, the z170 is a waste in my opinion if you dont want to overclock.
    I have the i5 6500 with msi mortar b150m much cheaper, till now 0 problems. There are other mobos, Idk which one to suggest.

Also again if you dont oc, cooler cpu is useless imo.

10. nero99

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    you could get a open case thermaltake core P3 for about $120 lol. I have it and you need no extra fans aside from the cpu fans. it has a full metal frame/body, a clear acrylic front window, and a hell of a lot of cable management space along with option wall mounting holes.

11. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yeah, I don't plan on overclocking, like, at all, so I'll go with the 6500 instead. I just don't want a board that's too cheap and doomed to fail in six months, you know?

Ah, well, I want at least one with an intake and exhaust fan on either end, like the case I have now.

Edit: Wouldn't that case be prone to a lot of dust?

Last edited by the_randomizer, Dec 7, 2016
  12. RaMon90

RaMon90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2013
    Italy
    Your decision, its a nice motherboard. For the cpu cooler, I think they give you the stock made by jntel inside the box which is enough for me. So you can save some cash or else if you arent happy with the temperature go with evo.

13. nero99

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    yes and no. it does get some dust, but not as much as you would get from a case with an intake fan. it also makes upgrading and cleaning parts easy since the front window comes off. but the case is also pretty big, http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002908 that give a very detailed explanation on it if you ever want to look into one. as for a case like what you want, i recommend looking through this list http://www.pcgamer.com/20-of-the-best-cases-for-your-next-pc-build/

14. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I'll take a look at those top 20 cases, I'm not 100% comfortable with having it exposed, excess dust or not, I like my components protected.

Yeah, I don't like temps that are too high, so I'll go with the one you suggested.

15. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Just my two cents on cases, I have a Corsair Graphite 760T myself which has excellent support for liquid coolers like the Corsair H110i, but I really love the Fractal Design R5 that I got for a friend's build simply because of how quiet it is. Sure, the Graphite can be very quiet too when you configure the fan profiles, but the R5 is so quiet I never notice if it's left on.

16. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Fair enough :P As long as it has good ventilation (as I can't afford liquid cooling on top of the other parts), that's all I really need to look out for.

17. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Best thing to do is look at reviews and judge for yourself :P

18. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I'm personally partial to the Corsair Carbide SPEC-002 myself. It's very affordable, and the only real downside is that the side panel window is kind of cheaply made (it scratches fairly easily)

19. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    That's actually a pretty cool looking case, does it come with three fans or so? If so, then that's just what I need :P

20. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Just two; one LED fan in the front and one standard in the back. They're all 120mm, though, and 4 more total can be added after you buy it