Temp Debates #9

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 8,357
  • Replies 102

Evolution or creation: how did human beings come about?

• By posting my point, I say we were created.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • By posting my point, I'd say we evolved.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

OP
3972882tempdebates.png
Religion. Coming in the next TD#10

Debate 9 Evolution or creation: how did human beings come about?​
How to debate
We will be debating about a question, make your point heard.
If the question is: Can we live without air?

A response can be: No, because air sustains life.
Another can be: No, that point is wrong because we can live on Oxygen alone, not air.
Another can be: No, because plants need CO2 which is in air to live, and without plants, we would die.
^ I love this debate fail...

and so on.
OK.

You will find today's debate title at the top of this post/in the topic description. Happy debating! I am impartial to this and will ignore the posts I have made to count the final score, as they were made solely to get the debate up and running. I will judge which side has won at the end, however will join the debate.

The debate will last as long as I think it should last

Previous Debates
Can we live without modern technology? The 'Temp says we can.
Will the world end in 2012? The 'Temp says 'fuck no'.
Genetic/DNA Manipulation on humans. Should it be legal in the UK? The 'Temp thinks that it should be legal
Media Censorship? Protective or Restrictive? The 'temp believes media censorship is restrictive - but only just!
Health and Safety laws. Protective or restrictive? Protective, 13 to 7
Cannabis (plant) should be legalized. Oh really? The 'temp says yes, 21 to 8, but it's use should be enforced like tobacco.
Medical Research on animals. Does it do more good than harm? It does good.
Should fascists be given a platform to speak? ~Suggested by TrolleyDave :Yes, they should. 8 to 5.

Evolution or creation: how did human beings come about?

Future Debates

Description:

This is simple. Touching on religion a bit, though, so I'm slightly sensitive about this one... Anyways. How did we come about? Were we created by God (or gods, depending on your religion), or did we evolve in accordance with Darwin. No description needed for this one. Suggest me some debates in the comments on my profile.

4034 -t9, uC 1TrolleyDave,20ddity, 3FAST 4Blood Fetish stat G

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I would say that we evolved without god, "in accordance with Darwin" as you say. But the question isn't mutually exclusive, we could have evolved "in accordance with god." It has to be one or the other though since there is incontrovertible evidence humans and all other living things evolved into their current state and continue to evolve.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
We evolved and were not in any way created by a God or a 'higher being' as some prefer to call it.

End of argument.

Also, for more information, read this and look for posts from J.T., GhostAnime, R. New, Tim the turtle, chuboy and natie (that's me!).

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the question was
"Evolution or Creation?"
Then it could easily be both. Something created the starting materials, things evolved from there.

But the question is
"Evolution or Creation: How did humans come about?"

The answer is pretty clear cut, there's plenty of evidence to suggest we evolved to this point, even if not all the evidence is there quite yet.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Overlord Nadrian said:
Life originated from a cell that started multiplying.

Or do you mean the way the universe came into existence?

He means evolution is not attempting to answer the question of how life developed, only the variation in species. The origin of life is called abiogenesis.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ah, the variation in species just exists because certain 0ddities of nature were strong enough to survive and started multiplying themselves, thus creating a wide array of different creatures.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if I want to get into this one. I may have a crack at my own explanation, but I bet most of you know how I would post.
wink.gif

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magmorph said:
Evolution says nothing about the origin of life.This.

Overlord Nadrian said:
Ah, the variation in species just exists because certain 0ddities of nature were strong enough to survive and started multiplying themselves, thus creating a wide array of different creatures.What came before that?

QUOTE(RoMee @ Sep 10 2010, 02:15 PM)
until I see proof of a god, I'm gonna say we evolved

and I don't want to be the result of incest from adam and eve
Evolution doesn't disprove God.

They aren't brother and sister.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We were created somehow, that doesn't necessarily mean that a higher power did so.

But it has been proven that evolution is not just a theory. It happened, happens and will continue to happen.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
_Chaz_ said:
We were created somehow, that doesn't necessarily mean that a higher power did so.

But it has been proven that evolution is not just a theory. It happened, happens and will continue to happen.

Evolution is just a theory, but that is not a mark against it, as in the scientific vernacular, theory does not mean the same thing as the layman term theory. Evolution is a theory in the same way the round earth is a theory, germs a theory, gravity is a theory, etc.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
The universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws.
-Stephen Hawking

That is what I believe in. Something has to be the one to make something so elaborate, so perhaps, I believe Science and God intertwine in a certain way. God makes a law, and science is the law that he made. Possibly, God could have made a law about evolution, and the universe just follows it.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
KingdomBlade said:
The universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws.
-Stephen Hawking

That is what I believe in. Something has to be the one to make something so elaborate, so perhaps, I believe Science and God intertwine in a certain way. God makes a law, and science is the law that he made. Possibly, God could have made a law about evolution, and the universe just follows it.

That is a cheap intellectual crutch. If you follow it through to its logical conclusion, if something had to create something as elaborate as the universe and its laws, then that creator itself must be as complex as the universe and itself require a creator, and it's creator must be at least as complex and require a creator, etcetera ad infinitum. However, this is moving more into debate #10 territory, lets stick with evolution vs. creationism.

B

ball2012003

OP
Creation. Evolution just doesn't make any sense. A sea creature becomes a land creature, how the fuck is that possible, if according to science, evolution takes thousands of years, so how the hell is that sea creature gonna be on land for all that time to evolve if it needs to breath by water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.