gamermum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Is there anyone in or near London UK who could provide technical help in person to resolve some issues with a hacked switch?

(I had it hacked when we lived abroad in a country with no decent internet, we had a local techie guy there who made a living installing homebrew and transferring pirated games - he would fix all our problems back then! We’re now back in London and my son has a new clean switch which goes online, the hacked switch hasn’t been used for about a year.

It’s not booting up in homebrew, I think it’s got sd card issues.. the only thing we really want to do is (if possible) transfer my son’s old save data to the new switch. I’ve researched this and it seems it can be done but I’m not sure I’m confident enough to start trying to do it by myself..!)

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Transfering save data to a 'clean' Switch is quite a hassle.

The save data is stored on the NAND/main memory of the Switch.
Install the latest Hekate release and inject the latest hekate payload.
Then just dump the NAND onto an SD card (make sure you have 32GB of free space).
With a PC you can mount the dump and extract the save games.
You need to do the same thing with the new Switch.

As long as you don't install any pirated games on your new Switch and don't go to the eShop,
there should be no problem with getting banned.

gamermum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks so much @thesjaakspoiler that’s useful.. but I’m not sure I’m brave enough to do this^^ myself - any ideas on how to find a modder locally who could help me?

And just to clarify the part about going not into the eshop, do you mean if we transfer save data from hacked switch to new switch, we would never be able to go into the eshop again on the new switch? That would kind of defeat the object of having bought a whole new clean switch and all the clean games, and the Nintendo online subscription etc etc lol

Thanks so much again for your help!

Last edited by gamermum,

gamermum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[my son is neurodivergent, the save data is really important to him - particularly a huge world he built in minecraft.. if it wasn’t so important to him we wouldn’t bother with this]

gamermum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One last query - I read that it might be possible to transfer save data locally direct from the hacked switch to the new switch using the normal Nintendo transfer function in system settings.. what would be the biggest risk of trying to do it that way? I don’t mind if the hacked switch gets banned, it’s old and pretty worthless now anyway. But wouldn’t want to risk the new switch obviously.

Transfering save data to a 'clean' Switch is quite a hassle.

The save data is stored on the NAND/main memory of the Switch.
Install the latest Hekate release and inject the latest hekate payload.
Then just dump the NAND onto an SD card (make sure you have 32GB of free space).
With a PC you can mount the dump and extract the save games.
You need to do the same thing with the new Switch.

As long as you don't install any pirated games on your new Switch and don't go to the eShop,
there should be no problem with getting banned.

Nabby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last query - I read that it might be possible to transfer save data locally direct from the hacked switch to the new switch using the normal Nintendo transfer function in system settings.. what would be the biggest risk of trying to do it that way? I don’t mind if the hacked switch gets banned, it’s old and pretty worthless now anyway. But wouldn’t want to risk the new switch obviously.
Just to touch on that question because I just recently helped my roommate transfer everything from an old switch to a new model - -

The transfer function in system settings requires you to go online to your Nintendo account on both switches to verify the account you're moving. (It was a couple weeks ago but I think it also forced both switches to update to the newest firmware as well. Not going to claim to be sure on this though.) But at the very least it's worth considering that you will be exposing the hacked switch to Nintendo servers and associating the new one with it.

Reactions: gamermum

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not without getting ban, transferring save data from a modded unit to an unmodded unit would flag you for a ban.

Reactions: gamermum

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1