1. LEGOMYEGGO

OP LEGOMYEGGO Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi I have two hp laptops and one of them broke can I switch the parts around so I could still have ram and stuff?

2. LEGOMYEGGO

Newcomer

United States
    My screen came off and laptop keyboard isn’t working so I think it’s time to switch to my other laptop but it’s too slow that’s why I want to switch the parts around

Sarnia likes this.
  3. LEGOMYEGGO

Newcomer

United States
    I’m not trying to rush you guys but I really need help fast I got to fix soon or else I’m screwed

4. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Are they the same model laptop? Do they have the same cpu?

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. LEGOMYEGGO

Newcomer

United States
    Ones a pavilion beats audio convertible and I’m not sure what’s the other one called I just opened them up and the cpu doesn’t look the same

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

One is a beats audio convertible and I’m not sure what’s the other one I just opened them and the cpu doesn’t look the same

Oops sorry for the double post anyways my other one is a 15.6 hd notebook

6. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I guess the thing to be sure to check, is the frequency and voltages. On HP laptops, there should be a “service tag” on the bottom. Google that service tag number and you’ll know what components you’ll have. Then, you can check for the frequency of ram they use. Physically, they should be the same, but different CPUs may use different voltages and frequencies.
    On the RAM modules, you’ll see the frequency type and voltages they use. You should be able to scan the QR scanner code on the stickers.
    The screen size won’t matter when it comes to the RAM. Since you’ve got both opened up, are you able to identify the RAM type?

Sarnia and alexander1970 like this.
  7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Generally speaking, the only thing you'll really be able to swap between two different laptops that aren't the same model/series (even from the same manufacturer) is RAM and storage (assuming they both use the same RAM type and 2.5" storage, but I assume they do). Everything else is hit or miss, and more often than not incompatible. If you don't have a socketed CPU, then you can't swap the CPUs, and socketed CPUs on laptops are very rare these days. If the motherboards don't have the same physical layouts in the case, then you can't just swap the whole motherboard (unless you want to do some heavy modifications of the chassis, possibly cooling as well), and generally speaking they won't share the same kind of connectors for things like touchpads and keyboards and speakers etc etc.

Screens will vary, they of course need the same size and usually the same resolution (depending on how your motherboard works) and they need to have the same connector type.

Sarnia likes this.
  8. Sarnia

Sarnia Newbie
    Newcomer

Japan
    Yeah, nothing like desktops. I've only done this once on my wifes two lap tops. Some how she managed to rip the screen off like the OP too. Mystery to me.
    The only thing I could change was the RAM which was DDR3, both were Toshiba Satellites and the way the inards are built it's like Toshiba really really doesn't want anyone to open up their Laptops.
    So in the end just memory. Surprisingly made a good difference - double the amount, and considerably faster. That was a while ago though. Good luck!

My wife ripped the screen off one of her two laptops too. I didn't ask too many details. I already posted, above, but RAM is a good bet. I'm very new here so pardon for the "double post."
    Maybe storage. Seems like everything else is designed never to be opened.

The Ram actually made a genuine improvement in performance, double the amount and faster. That was a few years ago. Windows 7 and DDR3.

Personally is desktops for me all the way!

Last edited by Sarnia, Nov 28, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Switching, around, parts