Switching from gateway to Luma3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by eroz76, Oct 28, 2016.

1. eroz76
    OP

eroz76 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    United States
    Chicago
    Hi all, I decided to switch from Gateway to Luma3ds using plailect's guide. I made it all the way with installing arm9loaderhax, configuring Luma3ds and restoring my emuNAND. Now when I boot the 3ds it opens but all the icons on the home menu are presents that need to unwrap but the 3ds freezes immediately. Not sure how to proceed. Any ideas or tips? Thanks!

Sorry.....I have a new 3dsxl (majoras mask) with 9.0.2U firmware (original).

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    What happens if you restore the backup made of your sysNAND from before flashing your emuNAND to it? Maybe there's something wrong with the emuNAND backup.

3. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    The problem is you can't inject a gateway formatted emunand on a9lh.That includes emunands that where created on the go.gateway website,it has to be a emunand that was created with emunand9.What you can do however I beleave is toggle between emunand and a9lh so you can still access your emunand,but if you are on gateway you have to reinstall everything on a9lh and start all over,deleting your emunand is also optional.

Last edited by Ominous66521, Oct 28, 2016
  4. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I don't know if that changed on a9lh v2, but my previous console was with Gateway and I installed a9lh v1 on it and flashed the emuNAND to the sysNAND just fine.

5. Ominous66521

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    But was it formatted on go.gateway? I mean when you first set up the emunand before a9lh was a thing.

Last edited by Ominous66521, Oct 28, 2016
  6. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I used downgraded system Settings with the DS profile exploit but still used the Gateway menu to format the emuNAND.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Oct 28, 2016
  7. Ominous66521

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Hmmm that's pretty much the only thing stopping me,but I guess if it don't work I can always restore a nand backup.

8. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I edited my post because I remembered that I only used the browser exploit on my old 3DS, then used the DS profile exploit after I system transferred to the N3DSXL

9. rctgamer3

rctgamer3 GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    I had a Gateway emuNAND as well. Used the old version of Plailect's guide to do the A9LH install. In emunand9 there's an option to convert a Gateway emuNAND to redNAND which I did. Boots fine with A9LH (redNAND booting is a bit faster?) and Gateway /seems/ to have no issues with it at all.

10. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    So Gateway plays nice with a redNAND setup? I've been hesitant to make the conversion.

11. CreAtor135

CreAtor135 GBATemp's #1 Nothing

Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Ikeb, Ukuro
    Gateway emuNAND and emuNAND9 emuNAND are the same thing. The difference is redNAND. But that's not really a requirement.

Also, Gateway doesn't read redNAND, last I checked :0

12. eroz76
    OP

eroz76 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    United States
    Chicago
    Awesome! I do see that option in emunand9. I'll give that a shot and try again when I get home from work. I had deleted my original emunand from the sd card but have a copy on my computer. Unless I could make another emunand backup and do the conversion from that one? Would that work?

13. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    1) why switch? Use both. I do.

2) In light of #1, most of the replies above are complete rubbish. My emunand was created by Gateway in the first place. Because Gateway WAS THE FIRST. It works just fine for me.

and No, Gateway does not play nice with rednand. That's why the guide says that rednand and emunand refer to the same thing. It's so people know they can use emunand for the guide.

Last edited by urherenow, Oct 28, 2016
  14. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Wrong wrong and wrong. My Gateway made Emunand was injected into my sysnand just fine when I switched and I don't have any issues what so ever. I also have no issues chainloading my gateway without emunand and running the red card just fine, JUST DONT UPDATE OUTSIDE OF LUMA. This wrapped gift thing is a weird problem but it is not GW emunand at fault.

15. eroz76
    OP

eroz76 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    United States
    Chicago
    I tried using emunand9 to convert my gateway emunand to rednand but it wouldn't detect my sd card and said it was not ready.