1. Mrcookjr

OP Mrcookjr Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I've been wanting to play the Metroid Prime series, and a few other gamecube games. Is emulation for these, or Wii on the horizon for Switch? I can only assume that it is powerful enough.

I'm on the fence of buying a used WiiU. Just gathering data to make the decision.

2. stranno

stranno GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Wii U is basically a tri-core Wii so.. yeah, perfect compatibility, aside the average upscaler and limited-only color range.

Shield TV Nintendo Edition firmware Wii/GC emulator will be probably ported to Switch eventually, who knows when. Other than that you will have to stick with Linux + Dolphin. Performance is not really playable (at least for my taste).

Stealphie likes this.
  3. Feffe

Feffe GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Wii U has perfect compatibility with Wii and GC games. You can even play GC (and most of Wii games supporting Classic Controller) on GamePad and since the GamePad has a 480p screen they look good.

If you want to play on TV, mClassic can help with the upscaling of Wii (and GC) games on Wii U

btw according to some rumors Metroid Prime Trilogy will be remastered for Switch, sooner or later

4. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    Get a WiiU. I'm pretty sure you won't see stable Wii emulation on the Switch soon. If you are a purist, take note that you loose GC accessories with the WiiU, because there's no connectors, unless you use adapters.

If you are only interested in the Wii/GC side of things, get a Wii.

Stealphie likes this.
  5. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Switch in Android/Lakka can *barely* run some gamecube games fullspeed. It's not a great experience for that many games. Also key Retroarch devs aren't interested in a native port because Dolphin requires realtime shader compilation.

Hacked Wii U runs Wii and GC great, however it has scaling issues even in 480p mode. Of course without hard modding Wii/GC you have to deal with analog noise in component cables, or else 480i SCART/RGB at best.

6. evertonstz

evertonstz GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    As others pointed out, for Wii/GC games just get the WiiU. If you just want to play Wii/GC games, I would actually go with the Wii as it has better output image than the Wii U.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Emulation, Switch,