NULL

Switch Brick by External Battery?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Clapmaster, May 8, 2019.

1. Clapmaster
    OP

Clapmaster GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
  2. Coreyosaur

Coreyosaur Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2019
    United States
    Should be fine. Looks to have good output too, so it will actually charge and not just sustain. No worries

Clapmaster likes this.
  3. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    I'm leery too after all the stories of bricks. If you bite the bullet, please follow up on this thread with how it goes.

Clapmaster likes this.
  4. arianadark

arianadark GBAtemp Fan

Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    I will say while it wont brick you if you connect to your dock right away you can damage the dock, so wait at least 10 minutes after you stop using that battery with you switch before docking it.

Clapmaster likes this.
  5. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Battery packs are usually fine, it's the third party docks that are causing the bricks.

Clapmaster likes this.
  6. fst312

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2008
    United States
    New York
    Never bought a third party dock or battery but unless those one star reviews don’t know what their talking about, they say this could brick your switch.

Clapmaster likes this.
  7. Ferris1000

Ferris1000 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 10, 2017
    Germany
    The issues with the third party docks was that they tried to use the quick charge Funktion but because the protocol the switch is using to communicate with a charger is not the same like mobile phones are using which lead the charger to output more current which Fries the power management IC. If you charge with a limit of 5v you’re good to go and everything gonna be fine.

Clapmaster likes this.
  8. Clapmaster
    OP

Clapmaster GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    Been almost a week and I haven't had any problems with it so far. I really like the joycon grips that came with that thing. Joycons feel good to hold now and I bought some of those analog stick caps(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FMCLZ7/) that double the height of the thumbsticks so Saints Row 3 and Splatoon 2 have been playing wonderfully in handheld mode. Feels more like I'm using an Xbox One pad now instead of joycons.

Thanks for this info. I did read about that happening somewhere. I'll keep it in mind.