Hacking Swapping Wii DVD Drive

gunnie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I have a DMS Wii dvd rom drive (PAL) which is chipped with a wiikey. Just wondering if it is interchangable and works with a wii with a D2B drive or between PAL and NTSC machines.

Cheers!!

niklasnyfiken

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Wiikey works with DMS, D2A and D2B chips. Those chips are the same for every region so yes, the Wiikey would work with any other Wii with those chipsets.

gunnie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry should have been more clearly.
I meant leave the wiikey installed on the DMS drive and take out the drive with the wiikey still on it and fully swap drives with another wii which originally had a D2B version or if the wii was from a different region like NTSC US or even NTSC JP.

Thanks!!

rigz2007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
update:

gunnie ive looked all over the net but couldnt find out bro

maybee just go for it

if it works then all is good if not just take it appart again?

@ least then yule knw ure answer to the q...

helba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
do you mean swap the whole drive? or just swap the D2B chip itself?
If you mean swap the whole BIG clunky things, then there is no difference as to where you get your drive from, I've done swaps many times even jp ones that get shipped in, they all work fine, the BASE is what you don't want to swap
biggrin.gif
. If you mean the chip, the black chip, then GOOD luck swaping that, i've had 1 success out of 3 tries, dead wiis on ebay, Even with a 1/64 ' tip that is brand new, gave me problems, since de-soldering is easy, soldering it back on was a pain, as when the first leg goes on, you have to get the opposite corner on asap, if you move it, there goes the leg. Takes around 5 hours to change the D2B chip with a DMS or D2A, mind you that was after a 3rd try when success hit.
biggrin.gif

gunnie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies.
Yeah I meant swap the whole drive. So the dvd drive is not dependent on the wii version. Swapping the tiny chip itself is beyond me and most others I would think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi