Hacking supercard lite or DSTT?

techforumz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking for a flashcard, I have read up a lot on them and understand exactly how they work. But which would you recommend, the new DSTT and EzV expansion which has a few problems, namely with contra 4. (Contra 4 of all games!!!) or the supercard lite which cannot use slot 2 ram or rumble features (obviously). I have some GBA games so I will want both slots, but at LEAST slot 1.

NonStopInTheMix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well first off keep in mind that you're going to have to flash your ds or get a superkey for slot1 if you plan on getting the supercard Lite. I recommend looking into what GBA games you want and if its compatible on the sclite, it had issues with some of the games i wanted to play...

as for DSTT bah x.x (sorry im not that much of a fan). If you're looking for a cost effective solution then i guess dstt is for you. But id recommend looking into other carts like Cyclods or at least the infamous R4 =P

ps: didnt the contra4 problem get fixed with a fw update or something?

techforumz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the CycloDS is kind of pricey but very good, from what I hear. The m3 real would be okay I guess, but it's also kind of pricey as well. The R4 is out of stock everywhere. And there is another factor, I have about 3GB of media ready to be transferred so I'll be using a 4GB microSDHC card, so that means SDHC, less than $50, and capable of using the EzV or something similar. The DSTT doesn't really come with expansion, I can't find the 'true' package anywhere. But since the R4 recently took a price hike, I don't think I will be getting that. And maybe the contra 4 problem did get fixed, I don't know. The DSTT looks pretty promising from GBAtemps own review. BTW, is your supercard one any good? I hear they have problems with slower sd cards. I hear the new SC1s have SDHC. Anyways, so It's M3 real, DSTT, or SC1 new. The M3 and SC are rather expensive, and the DSTT is rather cheap so I think that I will naturally get a DSTT. The SCLite might not be such a good idea. It uses standard SDs too. Do you have any other recommendations considering my criteria? Thanks for the help at any rate.
Here is the GBA games that I have:
DKC, DKC2, DKC3, MvDK, SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, SMW2. Yeah I like the classic.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Contra4 works with the newest firmware of the DSTT.

My DSTT works great, but there are some reports of DSTT's that don't make proper contact with the NDS, so make sure if you get one that you can exchange it just in case. Otherwise, the DSTT is a great cart (it's one of the fastest) and can use microSDHC (the R4 can't) which come in higher capacities than the microSD. If money is no object, the CycloDS has a few options that the DSTT doesn't have yet. Read both reviews and see whether those options are worth the extra price of the CycloDS.

techforumz, the expansion for the DSTT is idential to the Ewin expansion pack, so if you can't find the DSTT with the expansion/rumble included you can always purchase the Ewin separately.

-Bri

techforumz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Bri, I think that I will be getting a DSTT. And I'm not really worried about the expansion. If I'm going to get one outside of a bundle, I may as well get a good one like the EzV. The eWin has some problems from what I hear. Also there is no rumble feature in the expansion pack, unlike the EzV. So that's it then DSTT+EzV expansion+4GB microSDHC. Thanks to Bri and NonStopInTheMix.

NonStopInTheMix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
alrighty then i guess you chose the DSTT. Good luck with that and good luck with finding a good price for one... (dealextreme is actually out of stock because mass sellers who sell for profit are buying them out x.x)

as a sidenote, supercard lite uses microsd. but to me although its solid in performance, its a generation too old. plus you need that passme which will kill battery.

If you want an expansion yes bri is right, the expansion is exactly the same as the Ewin one. Also keep in mind that there arent that many games out there with rumble though, so meh id only get the expansion if i were you to play gba games. rumble doesnt seem worth it to me.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is a rumble cart for the DSTT (also identical to the Ewin one). But it's in a separate cart from the GBA/browser expansion cart. That's fine for me because I don't use the rumble much -- up the battery too quickly and there are very few games that support it. The difference in price between the DSTT with GBA expansion and rumble and the DSTT with only GBA expansion is only a few bucks so if you can find it, you might as well get it. Both the GBA and rumble carts only work with a DS Lite. I haven't had any problems with the DSTT expansion pack (which is the exact same as the Ewin expansion pack) and it works fine with Opera with the right GBA loader.

You have to do some tweaking to get the 3in1 expansion to work with the DSTT -- if I recall, it involves copying and renaming a file from the DSTT firmware and placing it in a folder for the GBA loader or something like that. Read some of the threads in the DSTT / TopToy DS forum on this site to see how to get it to work and whether there are any limitations.

If you can find the DSTT with the GBA expansion pack -- with or without the rumble cart -- and you have a DS Lite, I would go that route because it will be less expensive than purchasing them separately (unless you've decided you want the 3in1). As another poster pointed out, the cheapest site to get the DSTT (dealextreme) is currently out of stock, so you'll need to look elsewhere if you want one soon.

Make sure you get a Japanese-made microSDHC card. There are some posts on this forum that will help you tell which ones are Japanese-made.

I'll also reiterate that there have been some posts concerning DSTT's that don't make proper contact, so make sure you purchase from a reputable company that will let you exchange it if you get a bad one.

-Bri

techforumz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I happen to have a rumble game, but only one, and using the rumble will probably kill the battery. But I've heard bad things about the ewin, to me the rumble built-into the ezv is just a bonus. It is not imperative. I won't be getting mine from DX, heard too many horror storied about them. And I've always despised chinese companies and government anyways. I think I'll try one within the US, less shipping, and no HK ripoff company to deal with.

NonStopInTheMix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lol i think dealextreme is only having problems satisfying peoples orders on popular flashcarts. I ordered some ipod stuff along with a supercard ds one from them and it came in about 2 weeks...

i dont think DX is a ripoff company. its just that their system in buying bulk is too flawed and too many gameshops are ordering mass amounts of R4s and DSTTs. then theres other stores like emvee.ca who basically buy everything off DX and then resell it at ourgrageous markup values x.x

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol