Super Mario not fun

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by JasonYuuu, Jun 9, 2011.

Jun 9, 2011

Super Mario not fun by JasonYuuu at 6:21 PM (1,647 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. JasonYuuu
    OP

Newcomer JasonYuuu Member

Singapore
    Well I'm not saying it's not fun, but compared to playing games like Prototype or Assassin's Creed, it's somehow just not as fun.
    I WANT it to be FUN, really, I completed Super Mario Galaxy (but didn't get all the stars) and I would really give it a 70 instead of all the high scores it's been given. I just don't get it.
    70 wasn't based on any analytical review, it was just based on the fun factor, and to other people, Mario can be addictive and super fun! But not for me, I really don't know why.
    Is it mainly due to my preference of games? Is my way of playing Mario games the wrong? Or am I just thinking too much? :/

2. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    What other Mario games have you played?

3. cosmiccow

Member cosmiccow Original Hippie

Germany
    Probably it's called preference or taste. I have more fun with Mario Galaxy than I have with Prototype. Prototype is still cool, but Mario is more fun for me.

4. machomuu

United States
    Exactly. It's simply a matter of preference.

That, or you could be a mainstream gamer. I hope it's the former.

5. JasonYuuu
    OP

Singapore
    Wow, I didn't expect to get a reply so quickly.
    Well, I haven't had much time to play many Mario games, so if it gets boring I'll just quit.
    I've played New Super Mario Bros DS until one of the last few worlds I think, and other than that and SMG I can't really say I've played any other.
    I bought the 25th Anniversary Mario all stars game just for the freebies, but I suck big time at it, stuck at the 2nd world of Super Mario Bros 1, got frustrated and haven't really played since...
    Well I play mainstream games too, like MW. That's mainstream right? Cause from where I come from everyone just plays dota and free online FPSes.
    I just play what looks cool to me or something that has really good review scores.

6. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I don't enjoy Mario platform titles either, don't worry. It's just a matter of personal preference and perseverance. I get too frustrated or just give up on Mario platform titles. I loved the first few hours of Super Mario Galaxy but then it got a little bit harder and I just gave up on it. It doesn't appeal to me that much. I want to like it, because SMG 1 and SMG 2 are both terrific games, I can see that, but I just don't like it. It's a shame, those games could really change my thoughts on gaming.

Yes MW is mainstream. That's a game that I happily set to the hardest difficulty setting and try the same mission 10 times. It's just a matter of preference.

7. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I found Prototype repetitive as heck (I'm on one of the last missions, I should finish it some day) and the first AC was pretty dull (I should try the latter ones), so I guess it all comes down to your tastes... I personally loved Mario Galaxy 1.

8. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    I like it how you compare a NES classic with 3rd party games like Prototype and Assassins creed.

9. JasonYuuu
    OP

Singapore
    Well I'm talking about Mario games in general, 2D ones and 3D ones

From my opinion I think what makes Mario so fun to certain gamers its cause they've had history with it, so they get nostalgic and all sorts of stuff.
    But I spent my early years playing Pokemon lol. (And still am)

So if it's not fun, should I stop playing it? Cause even though I don't really find Mario fun, I just keep on playing it, hoping along the way I'll "get it" and find out what's so fun about it. But so far...

But I like the fighting genre a lot, and brawl is amazing! [​IMG] Too bad people over here don't recognize Nintendo characters except for Mario, but they think it's a game only for kids :/

Heh, my first thread as a newbie is so weird [​IMG]

10. Zarxrax

Member Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, the old and new mario games are all quite different.
    The old 2d games were all about precise platforming and jumping, and took quite some skill and lots of trial and error. I played them to death when I was a kid.

When it moved to 3d, that all changed. It became more about exploration, more about interacting with the world around you. As a result, I didn't really enjoy it as much after it went 3d.
    However, I think some of the newer games like galaxy and galaxy 2 are bringing things closer back to the series roots. And the upcoming one for 3ds looks to be going even further in that direction, so I'm quite excited by it.

I honestly didn't care much for the "New" SMB titles. I thought that they lack the same feel as the classic titles, and the powerups that are available suck compared to the ones in older titles.

I'll leave you with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49mPZR8pW5Q

11. JasonYuuu
    OP

Singapore
    That video made me felt inferior.. =/

12. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Like everyone else has said, it really is personal preference. Older gamers might like Mario because they grew up with it, while younger ones may like MW and Prototype for the same reason. It can also be completely vice-versa.

I prefer Mario, probably because I grew up playing the Mario series. [​IMG]

13. Discover

Member Discover GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Well Mario is generally targeted at casual gamers (perhaps family) I think, so it may not appeal to hardcore ones you know.

14. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    And Mario is "hardcore" because????

It isn't either, it just a game. Stop putting labels on it.

15. Xale

Member Xale GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I myself am more of a classic gamer, so games like mario or sonic, i love, or anything that revolves around the classics, thats kinda why im looking forward to sonic generations so much

16. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    It's just your preference.

I personally can't stand Asassin's Creed 1,2 or Brotherhood but I loved the DS one. I also can't stand Call of Duty games, I feel like they require no skill but I do love Prototype.

Also, you can't say Mario sucks if you played 2 games.

17. JasonYuuu
    OP

Singapore
    I didn't say Mario sucks, I just said it wasn't as fun as how I thought it would be.

18. machomuu

United States
    Mario isn't casual.

19. pistone

Member pistone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
    Albania
    we are not all =
    the thing that i like its not the same that someone else like so..........
    i for example i like more nes games that snes ones just because i grow up with that thing but this is not the same for you (or the others)
    that grow up with another console [​IMG]

20. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Oh, really?

A game isn't aimed at casual gamers because it's colorful or because you don't shoot people.

Most "hardcore" gamers couldn't get past World 2 in New Super Mario Bros.