Super mario bros. 3

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by KOman, Jun 13, 2010.

Jun 13, 2010

Super mario bros. 3 by KOman at 12:57 AM (1,644 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. KOman
    OP

Newcomer KOman Advanced Member

United States
    This is my favorite game, but the mario sprites except for the small one look like crap - the middle 1/3 of his face is missing. I tried fiddling with the scaling setting, but can't get it so that the entire sprite is visible. Is there any fix for this - I never had this problem with pocketnes on the gba...

2. sputnix

Member sputnix GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh
    were gonna need more info are you using nesds. because as far as I know it's computability is near perfect and all mario games should be perfect since well it's mario. also what card are you using since that maybe the reason.

3. KOman
    OP

Newcomer KOman Advanced Member

United States
    I am using nesds (the latest version from filetrip). I am also using a supercard dsonei. The game is playable in the sense that the levels and controls and music seem fine, but the mario sprites (mainly the face) don't...

4. bluebowser31

Member bluebowser31 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    when you are playing the game, tap the bottom screen, then tap display, then touch (and slide the stylus) anywhere on the screen, the farther to the right is more clear, but bigger, the farther left is squished, but will show full screen. this is because the original nes used a square screen, and ds screen is a rectangle, so you have to chose clarity and miss a strip off the top and bottom, or have it squished and some sprites glitched. so it should work COMPLETLY to the right, in the center.

(if u already knew all this sorz, thats all i can help)

oh also, i recomend using "none" (in display, under blend type) becasue it seems to me it helps with blur...

5. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    You got your directions mixed up. The left is less squished, and the right is more squished.

If only nesDS had a "No Sprite Scaling" option like some of the other emulators...

6. bluebowser31

Member bluebowser31 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    @above: lol left right, same thing xD

and um, it does have no scaling, if you put it all the way the the... left(?)

but yeah then its not on screen, it would be nice if it had a box to check, and when you do it makes it like on those rectangular tvs, how they have 2 black strips (which would be scaled, BUT it would be perfect aspect ratio...)

7. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    1. Yes, left.
    2. It's possible to fit the whole gameplay screen without scaling, but it cuts off the HUD bar.

8. rich333

Member rich333 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    have you tried a PAL rom?

9. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    How does region have anything to do with the problem?

10. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    The Japanese rom has less graphical hiccups than the US version.
    Tested and proven.

For example, in the US rom, the floor on the opening demo shakes for no reason, while in the Japanese rom it doesn't.
    However, it takes longer to load a stage in the Japanese rom.

It still has that sprite problem, though. But it is easily fixed by just changing the scaling.
    What I do is that I put it to the far right and until the second line is "E700"

But I would recommend the Japanese rom anyway since there's one hidden flute exclusive to the Japanese version.

11. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    But that still doesn't explain why rich333 suggested the PAL version.
    Also, the Japanese game loads slower because the US version uses a fading transition, while the JP version uses the same transition as the one used when going into the level.