NULL

Discussion Struggling to setup L4T Ubuntu for Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by SilentOne1994, May 7, 2019.

1. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 29, 2017
    Colombia
    Just see the sd.img that contains the OS and weighs more than 8GB, so I can not imagine extracting only the bootable parts of that IMG and redirecting many things to the USB port of the DOck to execute the rest of the IMG file. So I am doubting if there is only USB support after having to configure all the OS (which is not advisable to do it in the coupled mode). So my doubts are already being answered ... anyway I wish you good luck in Boot the rest of the IMG from USB-HDD in the docked mode.

2. SilentOne1994
    OP

SilentOne1994 SilentOne2k94

Feb 5, 2016
    Australia
    Australia

I ended up figuring it out but it took a while.. only issue i'm having now is trying to Copy/Paste the commands from GBATemp into the Terminal on Linux/Switch.
    I can copy/cut perfectly fine but pasting the commands into Terminal doesn't seem possible?

3. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Linux has been around for decades. I wouldnt suggest anyone to have their first Linux experiment on the switch. That's more for people are already Linux fans and knowledgeable with it and want to try it on Switch. If I were the OP I'd get a PC and learn on a live distro first.

Mouser X likes this.
  4. stick267

stick267 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 17, 2018
    United States
    You have to right click > paste. I'd highly suggest connecting a keyboard and mouse. Doing things with the touchscreen and on-screen keyboard is a pain.

But like others have said, if you haven't used Linux before I'd advise against using it for the first time on your Switch. I'd try it out on your PC or try reading some introductory things on Linux/Ubuntu at the very least.

5. KTroopA

KTroopA GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2007
    90% noobs you say. That must mean your special ;)

SilentOne1994 likes this.
  6. SilentOne1994
    OP

SilentOne1994 SilentOne2k94

Feb 5, 2016
    Australia
    Australia
    Ah see you can't paste into terminal on touchscreen, it requires you to have the keyboard or an external device hooked up. That's where I went wrong.
    Im only setting up Linux and learning to understand the bare minimum so I can run Dolphin Emulator and play Gamecube through Retroarch.

The tutorial itself isn't noob friendly, if you've never used Linux before it's completely different to what I'm used to

7. Gavin_Darkglider

Gavin_Darkglider Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    United States
    If all you care about is emulators and stuff like that check this out instead, uses same kernel, designed and optimized for the nintendo switch, and includes Dolphin.

google lakka l4t switch, it wont let me post a link for the release thread on this site.

Is much more user friendly than l4t-ubuntu, if you dont want to mess with linux commands, and set the console up that way. this can coexist with all of your other stuff, as it uses initrd, which loads the whole root file system into ram, then reads roms from the fat32 partition on the sd card. so it is as easy as copy and paste, then launch coreboot with hekate.

8. chillyshackk

chillyshackk Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2019
    Canada
    If you managed to boot it then it's already good, once in ubuntu you need to press the top left button, open a terminal (search for it in the search box) then in the ubuntu post he lists commands to run, type them there in the order they're written and you should eventually get the updates and all that's needed. Also look in the tutorials around there's one with steps to install most of what you need.

I would also suggest you to google basic linux commands, it will show you how to get around command lines in a terminal, os like Linux are also well documented, and lots of commands and ways to get around the os are the same or similar from one linux distro to another, not everything but still, if you want to use this you should definitely try to learn the basics :) I would also suggest you to install it on your pc if you have one, it will be a lot faster and another way to learn more easily. If you have a free hdd laying around then you can install it and keep windows and dual boot and use whichever you want.

But yeah if you never used it before you won't get far without reading a little. I've been using Ubuntu exclusively for a while now, it's a great os and it's easier to learn than some others although many distros made great progress in the last couple of years in terms of general public use. Have fun :)

9. Gavin_Darkglider

Gavin_Darkglider Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    United States
    Use putty, and a computer, plug in the switch via usb, and connect to the USB serial console with a baud of 115200. It is all set up, and much easier to copy and paste from a window on the computer into another window on the computer, and the commands all run on the switch.