Stop Wii U Updates

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by SickPuppy, Oct 24, 2014.

1. SickPuppy
    OP

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I was wondering why I haven't seen anybody post this before. I've seen more than a few posts of people not being able to update their Wii U. The cause of the Wii U not accepting the update is a patched vWii IOS, most of the time they installed a patched Wii IOS36 or have a patched IOS80. This did not brick their vWii, it just kept the Wii U from updating. I'm not telling anybody to patch a vWii IOS or install a patched IOS to their vWii. Those people that play around with the Wii U browser exploit don't want to update their console and maybe this could be something they want to look at.

I know there is a patched IOS80 installer out there for the vWii, maybe this will do the trick to stop the Wii U from accepting updates. Of course you would want to have a backup of IOS80 before patching it.

This is just a suggestion,, maybe somebody with more knowledge of the subject could back me up or tell me I'm wrong.

2. keven3477

keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Somwhere you can never find.
    I kinda have this going on my wii u. my brother wants it updated but this stops him. it loads 80% but then stops. although I im not using ios 80 for that

3. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    It doesn't work like that. Until we actually exploit IOSU we can't modify IOSU either. I don't see that happening anytime soon. The only other way besides modifying system files would be to intercept the network traffic (very unlikely to happen considering it's encrypted) and change data telling the system that it's on an outdated version.

4. SickPuppy
    OP

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    You did read my post? The part about a patched vWii IOS stopping the Wii U from updating?

5. NWPlayer123

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Yes, it's completely irrelevant considering the vWii is sandboxed. Plus the fact that all it does it break the update process, it doesn't actually stop the notifications or allow you to play online regardless.

6. SickPuppy
    OP

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I don't care if anybody can go online, I was just mentioning this as some sort of safeguard so the Wii U will not update accidentally. The last thing I want is hackers in my Wii U call of duty game. :gun:

7. NWPlayer123

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Either way, not enough research has been done (or is able to be done since we don't have a proper exploit to see what the update process does and why it breaks) for that to be possible. I wouldn't recommend just blindly installing a modified IOS just to stop updates.

8. SickPuppy
    OP

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    That's what I was getting at.

I just thought, it has already been done carelessly by people softmodding their vWii with no real adverse effects except now those people have to find an unpatched version of the IOS they patched if they want to update their Wii U.

keven3477

find out what IOS is patched, or which one has the Wii version installed, then reinstall the unpatched vWii version of the IOS. Check out this post http://gbatemp.net/threads/what-to-do-with-non-updating-wii-u.372883/#post-5132512

9. worm28

worm28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Portland, Oregon
    I have never heard anyone not being able to update because of a patched ios80, I have had my ios80 patched for well over a year and my wii u always updates just fine.

10. SickPuppy
    OP

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I know there is a post around here where somebody had a patched IOS80 and couldn't update. I think I'll give it a try and see what happens with the next update. Perhaps the person had a different method of patching the IOS.

11. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    Basically this isn't a foolproof method. Not everyone with a patched vWii IOS gets their Wii U updates blocked.

12. keven3477

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    no I did mine on purpose knowing I wont be able to update. besides if you delete the isos Nintendo will redownload them in any update aparently

13. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    OR

Crazy thought here

Delete your internet connection

You know, instead of fucking your wii u up

14. keven3477

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    also if you change youre preferred connection works for bloacking the internet for me. dosent ask me to update unless I play a game that requires update but I just cancel whenever it ask me to make a connection and start when it tells me to play whitout it

15. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    same here, it's the only IOS < 200 patched thought

16. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    Best way to avoid updates is to remove all connections. Gets rid of every single nag, too. Just stay on top of what games have on-disk updates and you'll be fine. Also breaking your IOSes will only work in specific version-to-version cases.

17. SickPuppy
    OP

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I don't worry about updates since I update when ever it's available. I have a softmodded PS3 and I don't want another console where offline gameplay is all that I can do with it.

I thought somebody might like my idea or find it useful.

18. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah

No one should find it useful, its akin to preventing updates by throwing it off a balcony.

Fpsrussia117 likes this.