Steins;Gate and Inside

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's on sale with Steam. Thinking of buying it. Game before anime or anime before game?

Also picked up Inside already. Seems to be well-reviewed and rated. Anyone played it?

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Can't say anything on Steins:gate (haven't played it).

Inside is very good, though. Good variety, clever puzzles, awesome atmosphere. There are apparently two endings to it, and the one I got was pretty weird. But all in all, absolutely worth playing. Especially since you picked it up already. :P

Oh, here's a copy-paste of my steam review on it:
This is in all ways at least an equal to limbo (which is a classic in its own right), and in a few even superior.

The most noticeable part is the magnificent level design: while, like most platformers, all you really do is 'go right', the design of the puzzles and story pieces are 100% believable. At no point you get the impression that things are set up because it's a video game. You make your way through abandoned factories, forests, offices and laboratories in one, seemingly unending, level. The puzzles aren't very hard but well thought out and interesting. And varied as well: some require timing, some backtracking, there's platforming, button pressing and swinging from ropes. There are also quite some underwater areas. For those interested: a bit more variety than limbo (though that isn't saying limbo was bad).
What inside offers most is a chilling experience. More so than actual horror games, the theme, music and (brutal) deaths upon failure, inside sets a tone of unease. Something has gone horribly wrong. More so than in limbo, you will meet other people, but they too are enemies that aid that unknown mystery that's going on.

It's not a very long game (2-3 hours), but the experience makes every minute count. When you are being chased by hounds or the beings in the water, you absolutely feel it in your bones. Is that worth the asking price? That's up to you to decide.

The ending...I won't spoil much, but I gotta say that it's both very weird and open ended. Don't expect an answer to the things you've encountered along the way: you won't get that. But while I do consider that somewhat of a disadvantage, the experience up to that point are ABSOLUTELY strong enough to recommend this any day of the week and twice on sunday. :-)

Reactions: brickmii82

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
It's on sale with Steam. Thinking of buying it. Game before anime or anime before game?

Also picked up Inside already. Seems to be well-reviewed and rated. Anyone played it?

DEFINITELY watch the anime first. Watch the anime and the anime movie and any OVAs that exist and THEN play the games.

Also get ready for the brainfuck of your life because that is what SG will give you

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Inside is a great game, though it is very short. I highly recommend it.

Regarding Steins;Gate, I think whatever way you go it will be right.
I saw the anime series first, OVAs, movie, etc. then played the game. I enjoyed both quite a lot.
The game feels way more detailed, perhaps you will not appreciate the anime the same if you played the game first, I don't know....

PS: I still don't finish Steins;Gate Zero though, not enough free time.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok... following up.... Inside is a pretty enjoyable game. The atmosphere and puzzle nature is quite entertaining, and it's very fulfilling to go from one environment seamlessly into the next. Admittedly, I've only gotten about 4 hours of gameplay in, but that because of a mix of sharing play with my son, and.....

Steins;Gate.... just finished the 24 episodes and the ending OVA, and my God... you weren't lying! I have to rate that in the top 5 anime I've ever viewed, if not top 3. What a magnificent story and concept. The characters felt so real, and while slow paced to begin, it moved quickly after the groundwork was laid. I'm thoroughly impressed.

I didn't buy the game on sale, but I don't mind the 35$ regular price after viewing the series. If it's more in depth than the anime, that's a bargain!

Reactions: Touko White

saphiren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't watch the anime first...too late. You should never watch the anime of a VN before playing the VN. Earn your golden ending, man.
Also the anime completely drops Faris's entire arc/reverting her changes to the timeline. It's not that I don't like the anime, I love it, but the VN is better.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd have avoided the anime, personally. On its own, it's not bad, but it cuts a lot of content (especially the 'bad' endings) and makes some crucial changes leading up to the ending. The OVA and movie also miss the original point entirely. Some of the smaller changes also might not make sense in context to S;G0, but I can't say that for certain.

Reactions: saphiren

brickmii82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't watch the anime first...too late. You should never watch the anime of a VN before playing the VN. Earn your golden ending, man.
Also the anime completely drops Faris's entire arc/reverting her changes to the timeline. It's not that I don't like the anime, I love it, but the VN is better.
Which is why I watched the anime first. LotR and The Hobbit movies were ruined because I've read every book released, same with the Harry Potter movies. Every time I get the more detailed version first, it ruins the other.

Last edited by brickmii82,
Reactions: sarkwalvein

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head