Sony Tablet S and Dual Shock Controller Support

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    [​IMG]

Sony has announced that their Tablet S, powered by Android, now supports the PS3 Dual Shock controller. The set-up program requires users to link the controller using a USB connector, but once it is synced the controller will function wirelessly. This begs the question, will a similar tool be released by accomplished Android programmers? Chime in and let us know your thoughts.

[​IMG] Source

2. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    United States
    Las Vegas, NV
    Cool. I might be able to play these emulators with actual buttons now.

3. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    so we got a wireless device playing with a wireless joystick. dont play in the public.

4. GreatZimkogway

GreatZimkogway Still a Touhou Fanatic

Jul 21, 2009
    United States
    Senkai
    There's already one, actually. Well, for the most part, requires use of a computer. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dancingpixelstudios.sixaxiscontroller&hl=en

5. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    I remember reading about this awhile ago. Google planned for ICS (ice cream sandwich) to have native support for PS3 controllers. Part of the deal with Sony was for Sony tabs to get the support first and other tablets to fallow later when ICS was released. Various delays put the support on hold sadly.

6. test84

test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Sep 8, 2006
    Iran
    Iran, Tehran.
    umm, awkward playing a tablet with a wireless controller when you can have way better and less weird experience witha PSvita, if you are a sony thingy.

7. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    One small step for wireless controllers for Android, one giant leap for getting the same treatment on PC.

If only I had a third hand to hold the tablet at the same time.

8. Hebon

Hebon Dabbling in the videogamagical

Mar 10, 2011
    United States
    That picture is of a PS2 controller... Just sayin.

9. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    you can use a dual shock 3 on android tablets but it requires root. i use the wiimote app and use the classic controller instead. (no root required)

10. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    the sixaxis program thats available does work fine on most android stuff, but it does not work with everything. it all depends on the bluetooth within the phones OS. my stock rom on my captivate did not work with it, but my cm7 2.3.7 rom works fine.

i see why this would be better as it would be native support, for now it seems it just translates controller presses to keyboard presses.

11. DarkSzero

DarkSzero Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2008
    Brazil
    Brazil
    I've played Super Metroid on my Milestone last year with a Wiimote. Yeah. It's nice to see the big corporations trying to provide decent gaming controllers for these new "gaming plataforms". It's just that a portable device with a separate wireless controller is quite uncomfortable...

12. eggsample

eggsample punahussy

Mar 29, 2010
    Poland
    It woulod be nice to play games like NFS shift on tablets or smartphones using Sony's DuSh controller.

13. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    That's a nice feature; not really a necessary one, but I guess it's nice that they're offering it at all.

14. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    I don't think this will ever happen to other android tablets.

Afterall, Tablet S is PS Certified.

15. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    Exactly. Only real advantage here depends on what controllers you have lying around.

If you have a Wiimote already, buy a classic controller and you're good to go. If you have a PS3 controller and a Wiimote, stick with the sixaxis. Neither? Get the sixaxis, it's cheaper than buying a wiimote and a classic controller.

Can't root? Get the Wiimote.
    Have an HTC Phone? You might be screwed in both cases. Try the Sixaxis, but I can guarantee that the Wiimote app doesn't work with HTC Sense. Root, switch to an AOSP ROM.

16. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    United States
    Las Vegas, NV
    You really think that will make a difference?

17. DarkStriker

DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Mar 15, 2009
    Norway
    NIKU!
    Now we just need something to put the tablet upon. Portable BIG console anyone?