ROM Hack Some Questions About Unlocking Pokemon Games

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello:

I have a copy of Pokemon Ultra Sun, and I am trying to unlock everything on it. It is a gift for someone and I do not know a great deal about Pokemon.

I noticed that you can buy an unlocked copy online, but they are $60 and that is way too steep for me considering I already have the cart, a modded 3DS, and some general knowledge to do it myself.

I downloaded PKSM and had some success unlocking all Pokemon on the cart. However, I am left with these questions:

1. Does PKHex offer more in-depth options than PKSM? Can I inject to cart with PKHex?
2. What are "shinies"? Are these automatically unlocked with PKSM when you batch unlock all Pokemon?
3. I noticed that when you unlock them, they are at low levels. The only way I see that you can level them up is one by one. Is there some way to batch level them all to 99?
4. Is there a way to start the game a few hours in, after getting the Pokedex?

Thanks for any info

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, I will answer your questions:

1. Does PKHex offer more in-depth options than PKSM?
Yes.

Can I inject to cart with PKHex?
PKHex doesn't do any of the save-injection. If you have a homebrew method of dumping and restoring save files, such as with Checkpoint, you can use those save files with PKHex.

2. What are "shinies"?
They are very rare versions of each species of Pokemon. Other than different colors (and bragging rights), they aren't any different.

Are these automatically unlocked with PKSM when you batch unlock all Pokemon?
I don't know what the Pokemon are like that are auto-generated with PKSM. I'm not even sure what you mean by "unlock them," and I don't use PKSM personally, but I'm figuring you're talking about auto-generating pre-made Pokemon.

3. I noticed that when you unlock them, they are at low levels. The only way I see that you can level them up is one by one. Is there some way to batch level them all to 99?
As far as I am aware, each one needs to be done manually. Each species learns unique moves, evolves, etc. at different levels.

4. Is there a way to start the game a few hours in, after getting the Pokedex?
No.

Now that I've answered your questions, you should know that this probably isn't something you need to do. What you're describing is going to take most of the fun out of the game. It would be like giving someone a Zelda game with a save file already at the final boss and expecting the gift recipient to only play that save file. I think it's a great idea to give Pokemon Ultra Sun as a gift, but I don't think you need to edit anything.

Reactions: mranonymous

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, I will answer your questions:

Yes.

PKHex doesn't do any of the save-injection. If you have a homebrew method of dumping and restoring save files, such as with Checkpoint, you can use those save files with PKHex.

They are very rare versions of each species of Pokemon. Other than different colors (and bragging rights), they aren't any different.

I don't know what the Pokemon are like that are auto-generated with PKSM. I'm not even sure what you mean by "unlock them," and I don't use PKSM personally, but I'm figuring you're talking about auto-generating pre-made Pokemon.

As far as I am aware, each one needs to be done manually. Each species learns unique moves, evolves, etc. at different levels.

No.

Now that I've answered your questions, you should know that this probably isn't something you need to do. What you're describing is going to take most of the fun out of the game. It would be like giving someone a Zelda game with a save file already at the final boss and expecting the gift recipient to only play that save file. I think it's a great idea to give Pokemon Ultra Sun as a gift, but I don't think you need to edit anything.

I greatly appreciate the fast and thorough reply, and continued help whenever I have a question on GBATemp.

This helps a ton. Looks like PKHex is going to be the route I should go.

And yes agreed with your thoughts. It is for my nephew who is still in high school, so I think it's mainly just bragging rights at his age. I think he played the game pretty far, but got lazy and may just to see the rest of the Pokemon without the legwork.

As a completionist and someone who loves achieving things myself in games, I will never understand the desire to have everything unlocked though, and how there is supposedly a market for it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F