Hacking Some 6.0 Questions

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello:

I looked through many pages of the thread about 6.0 for answers, but there seemed to be a lot of different opinions/advice so I’m not sure what the deal is. Just had these questions:

(Im running SX OS 1.9)

1. It’s inevitable that I’ll need to update to 6.0 at some point to play new games that require it, correct? Should I just stay on 5.1 for now, and deal with updating in the future when needed?

2. Some people have told me that it’s safe to update system firmware by booting into OFW and doing it normally. However, I vaguely remember someone else telling me that it should be updated through an NSP file of a new game. Could someone confirm what the best/safest method is?

3. From what you know now, will 6.0 have any negative impact on homebrew? In the other thread, someone mentioned that Homebrew would cease to function. Some others replied with different opinions but I am curious to know which is true.

4. I understand that SX OS will work fine with 6.0, but are there any other features of CFW that are at risk to malfunction in 6.0?

Thank you for the help

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello:

I looked through many pages of the thread about 6.0 for answers, but there seemed to be a lot of different opinions/advice so I’m not sure what the deal is. Just had these questions:

(Im running SX OS 1.9)

1. It’s inevitable that I’ll need to update to 6.0 at some point to play new games that require it, correct? Should I just stay on 5.1 for now, and deal with updating in the future when needed?

2. Some people have told me that it’s safe to update system firmware by booting into OFW and doing it normally. However, I vaguely remember someone else telling me that it should be updated through an NSP file of a new game. Could someone confirm what the best/safest method is?

3. From what you know now, will 6.0 have any negative impact on homebrew? In the other thread, someone mentioned that Homebrew would cease to function. Some others replied with different opinions but I am curious to know which is true.

4. I understand that SX OS will work fine with 6.0, but are there any other features of CFW that are at risk to malfunction in 6.0?

Thank you for the help
  1. Stay on 5.1 unless your desire to play online/use the eShop outweighs the benefits of staying on firmware 5.1
  2. The console is hacked; there is no safe way to update it. Theoretically, you could reflash a clean NAND backup you made, update to 6.0 officially, then make another NAND backup but this seems like unnecessary work when it comes to staying safe and updating.
  3. For one thing, homebrew/custom NSPs do not work on firmware 6.0. It is not currently known how many other homebrew applications do not work on firmware 6.0 however it is a safe assumption to make most, if not all, will not work.
  4. I do believe LayeredFS does not work on firmware 6.0 with SX OS

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait for a game you like that need 6.0 (maybe Smash) and stay on 5.1 for now.

Perfect, thank you

1. Stay on 5.1 unless your desire to play online/use the eShop outweighs the benefits of staying on firmware 5.1
  2. The console is hacked; there is no safe way to update it. Theoretically, you could reflash a clean NAND backup you made, update to 6.0 officially, then make another NAND backup but this seems like unnecessary work when it comes to staying safe and updating.
  3. For one thing, homebrew/custom NSPs do not work on firmware 6.0. It is not currently known how many other homebrew applications do not work on firmware 6.0 however it is a safe assumption to make most, if not all, will not work.
  4. I do believe LayeredFS does not work on firmware 6.0 with SX OS

Thanks for the thorough answers.

Very interesting about Homebrew, that really sucks. At the moment I don't use it for much, but I was looking forward to using RetroNX in the future.

Could I ask what an example of a custom NSP would be? Would this include all backups in NSP format, or only some kind of modified NSP file?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the thorough answers.

Very interesting about Homebrew, that really sucks. At the moment I don't use it for much, but I was looking forward to using RetroNX in the future.

Could I ask what an example of a custom NSP would be? Would this include all backups in NSP format, or only some kind of modified NSP file?
.NSP is basically a container of one or more .NCA files (and some other unimportant things). A legitimate .NSP would include .NCAs signed by Nintendo which include games, updates, and DLC. A custom or illegitimate .NSP would be full of .NCAs not signed by Nintendo such as homebrew.

Last edited by Draxzelex,
Reactions: mranonymous

MachRc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also would wait for other to upload first. But from the looks of it, I dont think the 6.0 update will affect us as much as it seems it will

We received some feedback from some expert users who are early adopters of the upcoming 6.0 firmware update. It appears we had overlooked something which made SXOS not boot firmware 6.0 for users with an exFAT formatted microSD card.

Oops. Suffice to say, we wasted no time to track down the root cause of this issue and fixed it up for you, still ahead of the official 6.0 release schedule!

Another thing which has been addressed is the incompatibility of the current "layeredFS" implementation with firmware 6.0. SX OS will now automatically disable "layeredFS" support when running on firmware 6.0, preventing any crashes/hangs.

That's it for now. We're running out of (reasonable) minor version numbers for SX OS 1… which means we are revving up for the big SX OS 2.0 release! At this point we can't spoil yet what the next iteration of SX OS has in store for you, but rest assured it will be exciting.

Again, sorry for this minor bug-fix release.

Enjoy the upcoming 6.0 firmware with SX OS!

https://team-xecuter.com/sx-os-v1-8-announcement/

Last edited by MachRc,
Reactions: mranonymous

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y