Softmodding a Red Wii - same process as a white?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Aijelsop, Feb 16, 2011.

Feb 16, 2011
  1. Aijelsop
    OP

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    I'm about to softmod my cousins special edition Red Wii, but I am not sure, should I use the same 4.3U guide I used for mine? (she has 4.3U) Or is there a special guide for Red Wii's?

2. megafanzero

Newcomer megafanzero Member

United States
    Red wiis are no different.

3. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    You have to paint them grey with nail polish first. It's pretty hard to come around grey nail polish, but it really needs to have that colour or your wii will brick.

...of course, it will also brick if you use a bad quality. Make sure to paint carefully, not too much, not too little, and ESPECIALLY make sure that no paint touches the interior of the wii.

...but in all seriousness: no, it doesn't make a difference. Only the interior of the wii matters. for what it's worth:

-red wii's come with 4.3 preinstalled, so make sure you've got a proper game to get started
    -they also have those D32- DVD drives, so forget about backup DVD's. They won't work.
    -bootmii can only be installed as boot2
    EDIT: correction, as pointed out by Jamstruth: bootmii can indeed only be installed as cIOS and not as boot2

(note that this applies to all new wii's, so it's not "because" they are red that they have that...it's actually the same for the black wii's as well as some grey wii's).

4. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Boot1 hole is closed on the newer models so no boot2 Bootmii but he can have IOS (not as good though [​IMG] )
    Also he knows colour isn't what matters but there were problems with the Black Wiis due to new internals so he was just wondering if a similar thing happened with the advent of the Red Wiis.

5. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Use modmii to mod it. And don't forget to install priiloader, it is your only brick protection.

6. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

he is pro (second wii)

7. Aijelsop
    OP

United States
    Well, thanks. I know what do to, to softmod it. I have an easy to understand guide.

8. Akotan

Member Akotan Mathematical!

Brazil
    I have a similar question: I'm wanting to buy a Wii (the white Wii Resorts bundle and it'll be my first one). Did Nintendo sell this not-so-new Wii Resort bundles with the 4.3 firmware?

I'm afraid to not softmod it so easily... I really wanted to do it myself without need of a original game disc.

9. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Well tough really.
    Most wiis sold in the shops now black, white or red will be 4.3. Not all but majority.
    Just get one and get Lego Batman, fairly new hack and you can still buy the game new so may aswell get it the same time as the wii, then just ebay the game.

4.3 is no harder to softmod, just requires one of the exploitable games

10. Aijelsop
    OP

United States
    Either that or rent the game from say BlockBuster or GameFly or something. Or just head on over to a secondhand game shop like, GameStop, and buy it, and re-sell it the next day.