XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi all,

Nice guide
wink.gif
.. but I cannot make it to work
frown.gif

I've make a "virgin" 4.2E NAND, downloaded the sneek installer b4 , used it to download it's own files (the get files button - selected SNEEK+DI), put everything in the SD's root (NAND+boot2.bin and bootmii folder).
Trying to load it via Priiloader (boot BootMii ISO) or HBC (home button -> load bootmii) results in a black screen (white one with priiloader) , the wiiremote not finding the console and no drive flashing.

Am I doing something wrong ? Is sneek supposed to work with BootMii as IOS (black wii) ?

Thank you

drSTRIFE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
tcdiem said:
Hi all,

Nice guide
wink.gif
.. but I cannot make it to work
frown.gif

I've make a "virgin" 4.2E NAND, downloaded the sneek installer b4 , used it to download it's own files (the get files button - selected SNEEK+DI), put everything in the SD's root (NAND+boot2.bin and bootmii folder).
Trying to load it via Priiloader (boot BootMii ISO) or HBC (home button -> load bootmii) results in a black screen (white one with priiloader) , the wiiremote not finding the console and no drive flashing.

Am I doing something wrong ? Is sneek supposed to work with BootMii as IOS (black wii) ?

Thank you

SNEEK works fine with BootMii as IOS, but I am running into the same problems when it comes to getting a virgin 4.2E NAND working on SNEEK, just getting a black screen

ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to get a virgin NAND using NUSAD and showmiiwads:
1. Download "NUSAD" and NUSAD_Download_Cues_for_Sneek.
2. Place your region cue in the NUSAD program folder.
3. Open NUSAD and type "I Agree" and hit enter.
4. Type "L" and hit enter.
5. Type "Y" hit enter.
6. All the IOS .wads you need will be found in the /COPY_TO_SD/WAD folder.
7. Open ShowMiiWads
8. Create a blank folder on desktop (I named mine "Scratch 4.2U NAND")
9. Click on Options -> Change NAND backup path. Select the folder you just created.
10. Click View -> ShowMiiNAND (the program is now called "ShowMiiNand")
11. Drag all .wad files from COPY_TO_SD/WAD to ShowMiiNand.
12. At the bottom click install
13. copy your setting.txt from an actual dump to the title/00000001/00000002/data folder that was created in your "Scratch 4.2U NAND"
14. copy the four folders: title, ticket, sys, shared1 to the root of whatever device you are going to be using to host your NAND.
15. Launch SNEEK/UNEEK and it will be as if it is the first time you started your wii (in reality it is, and you may have to wait a couple minutes the first time you boot it up this time only)
(Thanks xFlak)

tcdiem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ChokeD,
I've followed your steps bit by bit. NUSAD downloaded everything as "good", 23 wads installed on ShowMiiNand, copied settings.txt, run sneek installer 1b4, selected SNEEK+DI, put everything into the SD.

Turn on wii, get into priiloader, select boot BootMii IOS .. blank screen
frown.gif
.. left there for 10 minutes and still blank screen
frown.gif

(Black 4.2E wii)

Notes : there's a folder /games on SD, there's no USB device connected to the system (yet). It's a 8GB SD card, formatted with 32k clusters as follows :
CODE
dosfsck 3.0.9, 31 Jan 2010, FAT32, LFN
Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
Boot sector contents:
System ID " "
Media byte 0xf8 (hard disk)
512 bytes per logical sector
32768 bytes per cluster
4372 reserved sectors
First FAT starts at byte 2238464 (sector 4372)
2 FATs, 32 bit entries
977920 bytes per FAT (= 1910 sectors)
Root directory start at cluster 2 (arbitrary size)
Data area starts at byte 4194304 (sector 8192)
244416 data clusters (8009023488 bytes)
63 sectors/track, 255 heads
8192 hidden sectors
15650816 sectors total
Checking for unused clusters.
Checking free cluster summary.
/dev/mmcblk0p1: 1116 files, 39234/244416 clusters

ChokeD said:
1. Download "NUSAD" and NUSAD_Download_Cues_for_Sneek.
2. Place your region cue in the NUSAD program folder.
3. Open NUSAD and type "I Agree" and hit enter.
4. Type "L" and hit enter.
5. Type "Y" hit enter.
6. All the IOS .wads you need will be found in the /COPY_TO_SD/WAD folder.
7. Open ShowMiiWads
8. Create a blank folder on desktop (I named mine "Scratch 4.2U NAND")
9. Click on Options -> Change NAND backup path. Select the folder you just created.
10. Click View -> ShowMiiNAND (the program is now called "ShowMiiNand")
11. Drag all .wad files from COPY_TO_SD/WAD to ShowMiiNand.
12. At the bottom click install
13. copy your setting.txt from an actual dump to the title/00000001/00000002/data folder that was created in your "Scratch 4.2U NAND"
14. copy the four folders: title, ticket, sys, shared1 to the root of whatever device you are going to be using to host your NAND.
15. Launch SNEEK/UNEEK and it will be as if it is the first time you started your wii (in reality it is, and you may have to wait a couple minutes the first time you boot it up this time only)
(Thanks xFlak)

tcdiem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
After many attempts, seems that I made it to work :
- Follow exatcly what ChokeD told
smile.gif

- Do not boot BootMii from Priiloader. It didn't worked for me. Go to HBC, press home and choose load BootMii.
- Installer 1b4 works, just make sure to read the bloody FAQDI : [http://code.google.com/p/sneek/wiki/FAQDI] which clearly says for DI module to work, you need at least one game decompressed. After reading that and bashing my head against the keyboard, I've selected "SNEEK" from the install (no DI module) and it worked nicely. Still it doesn't work trying to load it from Priiloader thou.

Thank you guys for insisting that I was doing something wrong
smile.gif
.. now let's see .. what this whole thing about SNEEK tfor ?
grog.gif

ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to have a game in the game folder. exa. ( SD:/games/SSBB)
Also, what type of sneek and what does your folder structure look like ?

EDIT:
laugh.gif
you beat me to my response by seconds.
laugh.gif

tcdiem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Now that I know how to make it work
wink.gif
I've installed UNEEK from 1b4 (I'm going to use the USB drive anyways, so I try to save my SD card a bit
smile.gif
).

folder structure (before booting for the first time):
Code:
SD
ÂÂ[file] boot2.bin
ÂÂ[dir]ÂÂbootmii
ÂÂ[file] bootmii/armboot.bin
ÂÂ# this one was already there at my SD card, created when I've installed BootMii
ÂÂ[file] bootmii/ppcboot.elf
USB
ÂÂ[file] boot2.bin
ÂÂ# the ones bellow comes from the NAND created by NUSAD following your instructions.
ÂÂ# there's plenty of files in there
ÂÂ[dir]ÂÂsys
ÂÂ[dir]ÂÂshared1
ÂÂ[dir]ÂÂticket
ÂÂ[dir]ÂÂtitle
ÂÂ# this one bellow I took from dumping by read NAND and extracting with ShowMiiNand
ÂÂ[file] title/00000001/00000002/data/setting.txt

Of course, the usual stuff on the SD applies (for HBC, Wii data, etc) not related with SNEEK.

*edit : added the last line =) just to be clear
*edit2 (a few minutes after) : noted down the existence of ppcboot.elf

hetfield

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yeeey, i succeeded in compiling sneek and run it on the wii.
yaywii.gif

I used sneekinstaller v0.1b3 and chose sneek SD Nand.
(the sneek auto-installer v4 from xflak didn't work)

I had an old nand dump of fw4.1, with HBC on it which runs under IO36.
That was the only way i was was sure it was sneek running, + it has an old backup loader on it.

question 1:
Is there a way to see right away if sneek is running or the normal Wii menu?

question 2:
how can i install stuf on it for experimenting?
Because HBC of the sneek-wii, does not see the apps on the sd card

Question 3:
is it better to use a different sneek?

question 4:
i have a perfect softmodded fw4.1, and like tot keep it.
On the sneek-wii i would like to install a virgin fw4.3, because a friend of mine is working on a smashtack-E version, and we like to test it on a virgin wii.
No idea if that is possible, but i would like to try.

Who can help, and/or give me some advise?
I'm very new with sneek/devkitpro and stuf, (but i learn fast) so be gentle please.
wink.gif

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
can anybody send me a link to the sneek installer 0.1beta3? i only have beta 1 which didn't work for me and beta 4 which doesn't work either :s i tried uneek and sneek all done by the way it is explained in this topic and nothing works :s i only get black screens...

even with a clean 4.2e nand made with the tutorial found here...

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
hetfield said:
I used sneekinstaller v0.1b3 and chose sneek SD Nand.
(the sneek auto-installer v4 from xflak didn't work)
yeah, that auto-installer I made is waaaaaaaaay outdated. I may take another crack at it at some point.

fyi, sneekinstaller v0.1b4 is out now

I think u can install a forwarder channel to your emulated nand then use that to launch apps like MMM, not sure though

I don't have anymore answers for you (I'm not very knowledgeable about sneek)

edit: here's a link for sneekinstaller v0.1b3

edit2: I spoke with Crediar about some discrepancies I noticed with the output of his patched 0000000e.app files made by his sneek installer vs. his cmd line ioskpatch.exe. He said "SNEEKInstallerGUI isn't doing ES access patching but that is not really needed", so if its not needed, I would think the sneek gui installer should work fine

hetfield

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FGOD said:
can anybody send me a link to the sneek installer 0.1beta3? i only have beta 1 which didn't work for me and beta 4 which doesn't work either :s i tried uneek and sneek all done by the way it is explained in this topic and nothing works :s i only get black screens...

even with a clean 4.2e nand made with the tutorial found here...

I don't remember where i got it from, can't find it anymore.
But if you like i can upload it.

edit: don't have to anymore
tongue.gif

btw...XFlak...THANKS for NUSAD
thumbsup.gif

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
thanks, i hope it works with beta 3

btw, for uneek, is it also needed to have fat32 partition where the nand is to be the first partition? i have my wbfs as first partition as it gave me problems reading it as a second partition...

and is there a sd compability problem with some sd cards? maybe it could be that one of those things are giving me problems booting...

edit: helped indeed, it boots with sneek now, but after the health warning it gives me a black screen :s

tcdiem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've noticed one oddity thou (http://gbatemp.net/t218725-sneek-di-quick-guide?view=findpost&p=2993272 - this was how I've installed it), after making a fresh 4.2E nand, I get into UNEEK, everything looks like working .. then I shut down my wii (pressing the power buttom at the remote and holding it until the power led goes red), then if I try (on the real nand) to go to HBC -> launch bootmii .. all I do have is a blank screen.

Wiping all the nand dirs at the usb disk and putting them back fresh (before first use), it works, I setup Wii again, don't do the 4.3 update, power it off and doesn't work to get back in ...
No need to wipe all nand, just remove the shared2 folder and everything except setting.txt from /00000001/00000002/data. Still I have to re-configure my whole wii again.

am I doing anything wrong ? any clues ?

A few more tests after, if I install SNEEK (without DI) instead of UNEEK, it works flawlessly. I can restart, load it again and it simply works.

While doing the tests, I've noticed (with UNEEK) that it goes something like this :
- fresh nand, never booted into it
1. after clicking at load bootmii at HBC, there's some HDD activity (like 2 seconds)
2. screen flicks
3. a lot of hdd activity .. about 20-40 seconds
4. initial setup screen with press A button shows up, still HDD activity
5. after sync'ing my wiimote, press A, do the normal setup until the end, looks like working
- hold the power button on wiimote power off wii, power it back on
1. after clicking at load bootmii at HBC (using the same nand of the above steps, after configuring it), there's some HDD activity (like 2 seconds again)
2. screen flicks
3. no hdd activity ... doesn't come back from this state. needs power off and if I try again, still the same issue.

Before someone asks, if I redo all the steps, putting a fresh nand, putting boot2 files, etc etc ... the very same happens, same times for hdd activity, screen flicks, everything .. all the bloody 8 times I've tried it
wink.gif

Sticking with plain SNEEK for now (haven't tried DI yet).

Cheers and thanks for the good work,

*edit: added better description of the process, removing a few files is enough, not needing to re-write the whole nand, spend more time trying to guess what is going on
smile.gif

tcdiem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Regarding my issue, I've found Issue 54 at SNEEK page.

Could anyone provide me the ES module compiled with the mentioned path (if one have a build environemnt at hand) so I could try it out ?

Thanks

hetfield

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ChokeD said:

Does setting.txt need to be from a fw4.2 nand?
I only have from fw4.1.

And question about switch2sneek
readme says b. armbootsneek.bin from SNEEK v2 compilation
I can't find armbootsneek.bin anywhere , where should it be?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
no, it can be from any system menu version as long as the region is the same

but the region of the settings.txt has to match the region of the emulated nand, and if the emulated nand region DOES NOT match the region of the wii/real nand, then you also need a region.bin file for the region of the emulated nand.

note, that if the settings.txt is different than the one from your real nand, your will have to resync your remotes to the "new" wii every time you switch between sneek and your real nand/wii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu